Virus expert reveals why Thailand chose AstraZeneca’s viral vector vaccine

webfact

52 minutes ago, impulse said:

Interesting stuff, for sure. 

But I'm only seeing an order for 2 million doses- enough to do less than 2% of the Thai population.

The title says Thailand chose AZ.  Is there any actually on order? 

Or are they waiting for the brown envelopes?  (Oh, c'mon- you were thinking it, too)

They are making about 100million doses in Thailand but only 20million are going to be reserved for domestic use.  They will probably try get more from somewhere else. 

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Flying Saucage said:

Well, have a look to this nice article of yesterday:

https://www.wionews.com/india-news/goodwill-gesture-india-begins-export-of-coronavirus-vaccines-to-six-nations-357837

Myanmar, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Bhutan, Nepal, the Maldives and the Seychelles will start to vaccinate their people very soon. With the Astra Zeneca vaccine, produced under licence in India. All these countries will start to vaccinate and to protect their citizens long before Thailand will start.

Thailand number one again. This time number one in possibly willingly delaying the vaccination, for ridiculous and hypocritical reasons, for omission of ordering the vaccines early enough.

Yes, true, but those countries are are riddled with Covid.  I just think it makes sense for those highly infected countries to be vaccinated first. While counties that have Covid under control will be last on the list. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Dr Yong explained. “The global population is more than 7 billion. Just 50 per cent of population would need 8 billion vaccines since each person has to take two doses. So it will be impossible to vaccinate everybody within this year.”

Maybe maths aint his strong point. 7 Billion vacines not 8 Billion...

I believe all of the vaccines available currently require 2 shots (doses)spaced a couple weeks apart so his math is probably accurate this time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Another reason why Oxford vaccine (perhaps others) was so quick and also effective is it has basically been in development for years (possible decade(s)) for such a scenario. It's not a last minute, rush to get it out thing. 

..Scientists were aware of Corona virus variants back in 2004 and went to China in a field study..it was predicted by her in a medical paper that the Corona virus would be a hug problem in years to come..no-one took her serious and no drug company was prpeared to outlay the funds to develop a vaccine.

My reference is: Professor Vincent Racianello in This Week in Virology, YouTube Podcast series.

Edited by tandor
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, 5633572526 said:

I believe all of the vaccines available currently require 2 shots (doses)spaced a couple weeks apart so his math is probably accurate this time.

It is already being discussed in Big Pharma, that a 3rd shot may be necessary. If that is really necessary to obtain immunity, or if it is just to gain more profit is unknown.

• Like 1