Virus expert reveals why Thailand chose AstraZeneca’s viral vector vaccine

webfact

9 hours ago, smedly said:

well written OP and good to hear a professional taking the time and talking sense instead of some uneducated unelected wooden top blurting out nonsense, thumbs up from me 

Seems like our esteemed Anutin will be injecting a vaccine into his body that was developed by a team of - the dirty unwashed ................ 

will he be taking a non original copy vaccine also , not original vaccine same as copy computer programmes 

• Confused 1

Still not seeing any reasonable explanation for Sinovac approval, if indeed it has been approved by the Thai FDA. No third stage trial documentation has been released so far. Big failure in Brazil. And yet...first line health care and essential workers are to get this next month. What's ups with that? 

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Don Chance said:

So is Thailand going to manufacture their own vaccines?  India is already way ahead.

Anything this unelected "PM" does regarding vaccines will be down to financial reasons, if it is to his financial advantage to hold back while India and other countries go ahead with the vaccine, then that's what will happen.

• Confused 1

Apart from the technical jargon the constant reference to waiting to see what happens with the western nations innoculation programmes when South America Brazil India Russia China and many others are rolling out major programmes and innoculating NOW whilst Thailand prevaricates over who profits even though they can produce locally like India. Some sense of urgency would greatly appreciated!

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Flying Saucage said:

Well, have a look to this nice article of yesterday:

https://www.wionews.com/india-news/goodwill-gesture-india-begins-export-of-coronavirus-vaccines-to-six-nations-357837

Myanmar, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Bhutan, Nepal, the Maldives and the Seychelles will start to vaccinate their people very soon. With the Astra Zeneca vaccine, produced under licence in India. All these countries will start to vaccinate and to protect their citizens long before Thailand will start.

Thailand number one again. This time number one in possibly willingly delaying the vaccination, for ridiculous and hypocritical reasons, for omission of ordering the vaccines early enough.

Yes and because being to busy deviding the money that was set aside for this pamdamic and thinking they had everything under controle so pocketing among friends that's the reason they also are so late ordering because they thought they wouldn't need any only the rest of the world and when wanting to visit here need to be vaccinated . 

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

The terms of that agreement, stipulate that the vaccine will be 'not for profit' until the end of the pandemic.

Nobody has seen the terms of the agreement between Astra Zeneca and Siam Bio Science, thats one of the major issues that should be addressed to have some transparency. The not for profit statement is made by Astra Zeneca only, it applies to all the doses it supplies throughout the world including Thailand.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

There have been deaths in Ireland due to the vaccine and there are several reports of extreme reactions to the vaccine in UK. Uncontrollable body and facial movements being one. The vaccine should not be taken until it is risk free. After all there were only 50 or so deaths from the virus in Thailand. Not worth the risk if you are healthy. 23 people dying in Norway regardless of age or underlying illnesses is too many and near half the total death rate over the whole pandemic in Thailand. If the so called "cure" is as deadly as the virus then i'll take my chances with the virus.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Nobody has seen the terms of the agreement between Astra Zeneca and Siam Bio Science, thats one of the major issues that should be addressed to have some transparency. The not for profit statement is made by Astra Zeneca only, it applies to all the doses it supplies throughout the world including Thailand.

Please do tell us all where it is being made a 'major issue'. (other than TVF of course) There is nothing unusual about such agreements being 'commercial in confidence', nor should one expect the 'not for profit' clause to last indefinitely.

Reading between the lines in the FT, it will be Astra Zeneca who decide when the pandemic is over.

https://www.ft.com/content/c474f9e1-8807-4e57-9c79-6f4af145b686

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Please do tell us all where it is being made a 'major issue'. (other than TVF of course) There is nothing unusual about such agreements being 'commercial in confidence', nor should one expect the 'not for profit' clause to last indefinitely.

Reading between the lines in the FT, it will be Astra Zeneca who decide when the pandemic is over.

https://www.ft.com/content/c474f9e1-8807-4e57-9c79-6f4af145b686

I'm well aware and have no problem with the Astra Zeneca commitment for "not for profit until the pandemic is over" I think its admirable and should be followed by other vaccine developers. 

I raised the issue of the terms and conditions of its agreement with Siam Bio Science. Do a search and you'll see this is a major concern not only on TVF. 

"Thanathorn said the government is giving too much confidence to a company that has no prior experience in making vaccines."

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2021/01/20/questioning-vaccine-transparency-thats-royal-insult-govt-says/

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30401459?utm_source=bottom_relate&utm_medium=internal_referral

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2021/01/20/questioning-vaccine-transparency-thats-royal-insult-govt-says/

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-politics/thai-opposition-figure-says-government-aims-to-silence-him-on-vaccine-idUSKBN29Q0SV

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Poet said:

He wasn't filling in a requisition form, he was explaining something in broad strokes and took the long way round, forgetting that he didn't need to both halve and double his calculation.

I notice that all 3 of your posts on this page are upbraiding other members for what you have decided to frame as anti-Thai prejudice when that clearly is not the case. What is wrong with you?

You wrote his speech for himand know he forgot did you?  Or maybe, just maybe, he was allowing, as I said, for those produced by not used to vaccinate.

I get thoroughly p&ssed off with those whocome on here and bash their host Country for no other reason than they can.  No thought, no allowance for differences in culture, education and experience.  Just anti-Thai.  If people put on a more positive atitude in their thoughts (and deeds) then maybe that would totally reverse their view of the locals, and the view some of the locals have for some of us.  But if Thailand and its citizens are so useless I really have to wonder why these keyboard warriors stay here - and if they would sneer down their noses at whoever the locals are wherever they decamped to.

PH

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Thanathorn said the government is giving too much confidence to a company that has no prior experience in making vaccines."

I would be very surprised if Astra Zeneca had agreed to the technology transfer without doing a very thorough due diligence process on Siam Bio Science first.

The rest of what you referred to is political which is of no interest to me.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I would be very surprised if Astra Zeneca had agreed to the technology transfer without doing a very thorough due diligence process on Siam Bio Science first.

The rest of what you referred to is political which is of no interest to me.

Legitimate questions raised that should not have to be raised if transparent. Criticism even if constructive gets you a 112 if you're in Thailand.

No interest to you however...............

Edited by Bkk Brian
typo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, deve8 said:

when actual real figures show your chance of dying after Covid infection is 1 in 50, or 2%. 

Do you have a source for this figure? Professor John Ioaniddes wrote a paper stating that the infection fatality rate is about 0.23% and much lower 0.05 % for people under 70 years of age. 0.23% is 1 in 435 so if thats correct you are out by a factor of nearly 9

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, oldhippy said:

I am not a virologist, I don't lead a centre for excellence, and I do not do briefings for the government.

However, I knew all this before, since I know how to google.

But I admit: this Young dude was faster than me in calling a press conference.

He must have googled the right sites, and not the ones Trump googled. 

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Bluedan said:

Do you have a source for this figure? Professor John Ioaniddes wrote a paper stating that the infection fatality rate is about 0.23% and much lower 0.05 % for people under 70 years of age. 0.23% is 1 in 435 so if thats correct you are out by a factor of nearly 9

That author may be considering unknown asymptomatic cases - and that would be a rough guess. I've read it could be 10X the known infection rate. So instead of a death rate of 2% it would be 0.2%. I think the real death rate wont be known for at least a couple of years, and they it may not be as vaccinations are now being rolled out. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, roquefort said:

Possibly because Pfizer and Moderna are use a technology (mRNA) which has never been used on humans before, rushed through testing and delared safe on the basis of a miniscule sample. Maybe a good idea to wait and see if large numbers of GM Westerners start developing side effects after taking it.

I agree...makes me a little leary...I'm hearing the AZ vax actually works within the body more naturally and therefore less of a problem with side effects

• Like 1