Police investigate scamsters for taking vehicles on promise of making car payments

webfact

Police investigate scamsters for taking vehicles on promise of making car payments

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1611122932_1-org.jpg

In total, the victims had handed over eight vehicles, altogether valued at about B4 million. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: Region 8 Police are warning people unable to make their car payments to not fall prey to scam artists who convince people to hand over their cars on the promise that the buyer will take over the outstanding payments to the credit company.

The warning follows five victims, including some from Phang Nga, gathering at the Region 8 Police headquarters at the northern end of Phuket yesterday (Jan 19) to file a formal complaint, which was received by Investigator Maj Gen Naphanwoot Liemsa-nguan.

In total the victims had handed over eight vehicles, altogether valued at about B4 million.

Source: https://www.thephuketnews.com/police-investigate-scamsters-for-taking-vehicles-on-primes-of-making-car-payments-78716.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-01-21

47 minutes ago, Henk Langeweg said:

I wonder, is it even possible to sell a car which belongs to a finance company/bank?

When borders are open - yes - they can be smuggled into neighboring countries, given a new identity and sold on. Normally done by mafia money lenders to cars that are put up as collateral for gambling and the punter cannot repay loan(s). 

• Like 1

Right.

I know a woman in a massage shop. Normal massage shop.

She borrowed money from a loan shark (Ind...) 

He apparently turned up every day at the shop to get his cut.

Imagine what he is now doing when most shops are closed.

Desperate times.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Police are warning people unable to make their car payments to not fall prey to scam artists who convince people to hand over their cars on the promise that the buyer will take over the outstanding payments to the credit company.

I thought they had taken 'gullible' out of the dictionary now.

29 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

Right.

I know a woman in a massage shop. Normal massage shop.

She borrowed money from a loan shark (Ind...) 

He apparently turned up every day at the shop to get his cut.

Imagine what he is now doing when most shops are closed.

Desperate times.

They'll be plenty more takers! And the debt doesn't disappear until the borrowers do. I've known a few Thai people who have done moonlight flits to escape their debts.