Golf: Thomas to undergo 'training program' after making homophobic slur

Golf: Thomas to undergo 'training program' after making homophobic slur

2021-01-20T172426Z_1_LYNXMPEH0J1C5_RTROPTP_4_GOLF-THOMAS.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Golf - The Masters - Augusta National Golf Club - Augusta, Georgia, U.S. - November 15, 2020 Justin Thomas of the U.S. reacts on the 2nd hole during the final round REUTERS/Brian Snyder

(Reuters) - Justin Thomas has said he will undertake a training program to improve as a person and understands why Ralph Lauren discontinued their sponsorship of him after he used a homophobic slur during the Sentry Tournament of Champions.

Ralph Lauren dropped the 13-time PGA Tour winner and world number three after he was caught by a television microphone uttering the slur after missing a five-foot putt on the fourth hole in the third round of the tournament in Hawaii this month.

Thomas apologised after the incident, saying he made a "terrible judgment call" but Ralph Lauren said in a statement at the time that they were disheartened by his language, which was inconsistent with their values.

"It's not a word I use, but for some reason it was in there and that's what I'm trying to figure out... why it was in there," Thomas told reporters on Wednesday, ahead of the Abu Dhabi Championship.

"Like I said, it's going to be part of this process and training program, whatever I need to do, not only to prove to myself but to prove to my sponsors and prove to the people who don't know who I am that is indeed not the person I am."

Thomas added that he had been in touch with his other sponsors, and that they understood the incident represented an opportunity for him to "grow and become a better person."

He said he respected Ralph Lauren's decision to cut ties with him, given the damage he had done to their brand.

"They had to do what they had to do," Thomas said. "They are a huge global brand, and I have to respect their decision. I wasn't disappointed, because I put them in a terrible position.

"I just was more upset. I had a great relationship with a lot of people there, and like I said, we would have had the opportunity to do it together. I totally respect their decision and move on from it."

The Abu Dhabi Championship begins on Thursday.

(Reporting by Simon Jennings in Bengaluru; Editing by Toby Davis)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-01-21

• Like 1

Seems rather strange to utter such a word whilst playing golf.. Was the word aimed at his competitors?  I mean, I can understand saying 'F.......' when your game isn't going right, but uttering 'poof!' seems a rather strange thing to say.

Whatever....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
43 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Seems rather strange to utter such a word whilst playing golf.. Was the word aimed at his competitors?  I mean, I can understand saying 'F.......' when your game isn't going right, but uttering 'poof!' seems a rather strange thing to say.

Whatever....

Wasn't the word he used "<deleted>"?......I know at club golf level if you leave a putt short (particularly down hill) you will sometimes be asked by one of your playing group "Where is your skirt?" basically saying you didn't have the balls to attack the hole.

I am sure JT will be thrilled to be completing a homophobic learning course 🙄

• Like 1

mcilroy came in with a tepid/lame defense of thomas.

Sponsors (tournament and indivdual) have the right to demand reasonable behavior. It's written in to any contract.

thmas is saying, and doing, all the right things. Hopefully he is sincere.

Poop happens. As he said, not a word he would normally use. Maybe someone called him that at the club house. I'm sure he is sincere or he wouldn't be taking the steps to improve.

1 hour ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I'm sure he is sincere or he wouldn't be taking the steps to improve.

Big sponsor money is at stake here. People will do a lot of things to get that, keep it, or get it back (seeing as how Ralph Lauren dumped the guy and he doesn't want any more sponsors to do that).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Poop happens. As he said, not a word he would normally use. Maybe someone called him that at the club house. I'm sure he is sincere or he wouldn't be taking the steps to improve.

i bet its a mix of both. he earns a boat load of money and has a certain image to uphold as well. what would happen to his career if he was all..i meant it leave me alone and let me continue. 

15 hours ago, Mavrix said:

I am sure JT will be thrilled to be completing a homophobic learning course 

You think he will learn many more of those words during such a course?

In my opinion, the PC boys should start getting a life, because the last few years things are going way over the top

• Like 1

He actually muttered "fagg0t" to himself...referring to himself as a "<deleted>" for missing the putt. So what? Who cares? He slipped and muttered something to himself and has since apologized profusely for it. LET IT GO! SO many are so easily offended these days. Can't we all just grow up a bit?

I'm offended by the immaturity, hypocrisy and pussification of the world nowadays. 🙄

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Like 1