Thai immigration relaxes re-entry rules for foreigners with permanent residency

25 minutes ago, jackdd said:

This was already announced in April 2020, not really "news":

I'm confused...

You can re-enter on your re-entry permit.  But your visa/extension has expired...

How does that work?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

It is update of the original since there was nothing in the original order about when it would end. It was assumed it would be one year from the date of the order.

Now it is clear there is no end date at time time.

The original order from April said "will be announced by the immigration bureau", the picture shown in OP still says this, there has been no change. They never said anything like "one year", if somebody assumed this they were just mistaken.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

It's only about permanent residents, not temporary visas/extensions

A permanent resident can stay in Thailand as long as he wants without doing anything, as long as he doesn't leave.

If he leaves he has to get a "re entry permit" (slightly different from the one holders of temporary extensions get) before leaving, and has to return within one year, or his permanent residency would be void.

Since April 2020 this one year period has been extended due to the Covid situation.

Maybe my bad.  I didn't see the word permanent.  I still don't.  I was resident in Thailand for 7 years.  But not on a permanent residence.

If I left Thailand in April, 6 months into my stay...  My extension would be expired.  I don't know what good a valid re-entry permit would be.

1 minute ago, impulse said:

If I left Thailand in April, 6 months into my stay...  My extension would be expired.  I don't know what good a valid re-entry permit would be.

A permanent resident's extension doesn't expire, it's "permanent".

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jackdd said:

A permanent resident's extension doesn't expire, it's "permanent".

I still don't see the word permanent.  It says take up residence.  Which describes people on WP.

Discrepancy between the title, and the graphic...  Title says permanent.  Graphic doesn't.   Now I get it...

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, impulse said:

I still don't see the word permanent.  It says take up residence.  Which describes people on WP.

Having a WP is not having residence. You are still on a temporary permit to stay. Only those with permanent residency are legal residents.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rickthailand said:

i am confused, my dad has been stuck in holland since 3rd of march2020, his

retirement extension and re-entry run out on the 18th of juli 2020. so can he

just enter thailand on his "old" retirement extension????

rick

No, he doesn't have residency in Thailand, he is a temporary visitor. This announcement is only for permanent residents.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rickthailand said:

i am confused, my dad has been stuck in holland since 3rd of march2020, his

retirement extension and re-entry run out on the 18th of juli 2020. so can he

just enter thailand on his "old" retirement extension????

No

He has to get a new visa for entry to the country since his the extension of his temporary permit to stay has ended along with the re-entry permit for it.

The discussion is about those that applied for and were granted permanent residency.

12 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Somebody on a non-immigrant visa/extension is considered a temporary visitor, not a resident.

If immigration talks about "permitted to take up residency" it refers to people with permanent resident status.

Understood.  But the Thai tax guy said I was a resident...  It's confusing.

2 minutes ago, BritTim said:

There is a difference between tax status and immigration status. You were told you were considered a resident of Thailand for tax purposes. That does not mean you have been through the permanent residence process.

I just think they should have included the word "permanent" in the graphic for clarity.  Just to humor the vast majority of us who don't have a PhD in immigration speak.  By just about every definition in the world except theirs, I was a resident.  I was given permission to take up residence, and pay taxes according to the resident requirements.

10 minutes ago, impulse said:

Understood.  But the Thai tax guy said I was a resident...  It's confusing.

You can live here and be considered a resident but your residence is not permanent. If you qualify for it, apply for it and have it granted you can have permanent residency.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can live here and be considered a resident but your residence is not permanent. If you qualify for it, apply for it and have it granted you can have permanent residency.

I get all that.  I'm just saying that the vast majority of foreigners reading that graphic would be confused unless they included the word permanent. 

That's like putting up a sign up that says "500 baht fine for on the grass"  Not as helpful as it could be.

35 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

No

He has to get a new visa for entry to the country since his the extension of his temporary permit to stay has ended along with the re-entry permit for it.

The discussion is about those that applied for and were granted permanent residency.

ok i understand its ok as he will enter on exempt visa at the end of the month just wanted to check because that would of saved him alot of hassle

rick

12 minutes ago, MadMac said:

I believe with a green card you can work in the US. With pseudo Thai PR you cant.

It same as for everybody else. You can work if you have a work permit and for those with PR it is easier since they do not need to get extensions of stay based upon working.

7 hours ago, impulse said:

Maybe my bad.  I didn't see the word permanent.  I still don't.  I was resident in Thailand for 7 years.  But not on a permanent residence.

The reality is, perhaps not what many would like, this order is quite specific to foreigners who hold a 'Thai Certificate of Residence', also known as 'Thai Permanent Residency', and could also be labelled as a 'Thai visa for life', there is no stated end date, it ends the day the holder dies.

''for life', 'permanent' are key words. 'Extension' is not mentioned in terms of Thai PR (Thai Certificate of Residence) and is not required and is not in the picture'.

Edited by scorecard

Just now, ubonjoe said:

It same as for everybody else. You can work if you have a work permit and for those with PR it is easier since they do not need to get extensions of stay based upon working.

If you have PR status it should eliminate the requirement of a separate work permit. At least that is the case in more developed countries like Singapore.