Thai immigration relaxes re-entry rules for foreigners with permanent residency

15 minutes ago, MadMac said:

I believe with a green card you can work in the US. With pseudo Thai PR you cant.

Well you might call it pseudo if you compare what PR means in other countries, but this is Thailand and it's own specific meaning here in Thailand.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, MadMac said:

If you have PR status it should eliminate the requirement of a separate work permit. At least that is the case in more developed countries like Singapore.

This discussion is not about Singapore it's specific to the Thai Certificate of Residence, also known as 'Thai Permanent Residency. 

And what about the non-o visa ?

If for instance  you extention ends the 28th february 2021 and you want to enter Thailand 15th of march ?
Can you use your old extention or do you need to enter with a tourist visa and start from zero a new visa non-o in Bangkok ?

6 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Well you might call it pseudo if you compare what PR means in other countries, but this is Thailand and it's own specific meaning here in Thailand.

With that statement I can certainly agree! And I say that as a SG PR. The world may not be a disk but mountains, hills and slopes are different from another angle ????

Just now, Spellforce said:

And what about the non-o visa ?

If for instance  you extention ends the 28th february 2021 and you want to enter Thailand 15th of march ?
Can you use your old extention or do you need to enter with a tourist visa and start from zero a new visa non-o in Bangkok ?

As already discussed above, it's not about extensions, it's totally specific to foreigners who hold a Thai Certificate of Residence, also called 'Thai Permanent Residency, and their is no extension involved. Thai PR is for life, it expires when the holder dies, extension is never 'on the table'.

7 hours ago, impulse said:

I still don't see the word permanent.  It says take up residence.  Which describes people on WP.

Discrepancy between the title, and the graphic...  Title says permanent.  Graphic doesn't.   Now I get it...

If you have visa or extension of stay that says " NON IMMIGRANT " then you are not resident of Thailand. If your visa is " IMMIGRANT " (in full: Non quota immigrant visa + endorsement) or none, and you have a blue/white book, red book and are entered into BLUE house registration, then you are resident.

If you constantly have to make reports of your address, run to immigration to get certificate of residence instead of always having it with you (before-mentioned books), can only put yourself in yellow tabien baan, and need to transfer money from abroad if you want to buy a condo - then you are not a resident, nor an immigrant, and are only permitted a temporary stay in the country.

7 hours ago, impulse said:

I'm confused...

You can re-enter on your re-entry permit.  But your visa/extension has expired...

How does that work?

The re-entry permit has expired but not your residency permit.  Seems that the re-entry permit is now extended until further notice with no repercussions to the residency permit

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Having a WP is not having residence. You are still on a temporary permit to stay. Only those with permanent residency are legal residents.

Further, permanent residency is administered ultimately by the Thai Immigration Bureau. Work permits are administered by the Thai Labour ministry which is completely separate from immigration. 

30 minutes ago, MasterBaker said:

i wonder how many those PR willing to get back to Thailand

I suspect most holders of Thai PR have specific reasons to have applied for and gained Thai PR and for many/most it would involve family being in Thailand. Therefore want/need to return.

Sure there's been lots of threads about the 'value' of holding Thai PR:

- Some see it as too expensive (and it does cost).

- It doesn't give rights to own land.

- etc.

On the other hand, I have Thai PR and for me the benefit is that there's 99% guarantee that your quarterly/annual application for extension will never be rejected, because Thai PR holders have what could be labelled as a Thai Visa for Life' and extension is not needed/required. Therefore I don't have to ever worry about being separated from my wonderful Thai family.

9 minutes ago, Guderian said:

How many people have permanent residency? I thought they only give it to a few hundred farangs every year, so it's not going to be a vast number of people.

Every year a committee decides the maximum numbers that can be approved per country.

From my understanding in most years the total number of applicants from many countries is well under the maximum allowed to be approved.

But that doesn't mean they are all approved. Many applications (regardless of what country they come are not successful. The approval rate isn't that big.

I have no idea what the total number of Thai PR holders is, perhaps another member can answer that point,

11 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

Google Thailand Permanent Residence there are several articles...

one says the cap is 100 per Nation per year.. 

From the immigration act.

"Section 40 : Subject to the provisions of Section 42, 43 and 51 , the Minister , by the approval of the
Cabinet , shall have power to publish , in the Government Gazette , immigration quotas from year to year
( not exceeding 100 persons per year from each country and not exceeding 50 persons who have no
nationality )."

The cabinet approves that amount every year.

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

As already discussed above, it's not about extensions, it's totally specific to foreigners who hold a Thai Certificate of Residence, also called 'Thai Permanent Residency, and their is no extension involved. Thai PR is for life, it expires when the holder dies, extension is never 'on the table'.

Help me out here...  What is that document called that we have to bring to immigration every year to get an extension.  The one that proves where we live?

Can you see where there may be some confusion?

I'm just saying that the PSA in the OP would have been a lot more helpful if they differentiated between residence and permanent residence.  For the vast majority of us who don't have a PhD in immigration speak.  (On the outside chance that someone from immigration is tuned in here...)

43 minutes ago, Pro1Expat said:

Would be nice if they made a concession to those who have Thai families and are separated from them.

In fact why not give foreigners PR if they are married to a Thai and have been for say a minimum of 5 years?

2 foreigners, both with PR, having a child in Thailand gives child Thai citizenship rights. Thai citizens can buy land. Could be something in that department, or could just be a money maker.

In PR process, you get points for having Thai family and the length of time you stayed in Thailand, the perfection of your Thai language skills, respect for Thai culture and good deeds towards others. You're also given points on how much your occupation benefits Thailand. The rest is about money (salary, taxes paid), education and respect for the laws - for which you need to get no criminal record clearance and provide all passports from your first entry to Thailand, so every stamp can be checked against their records.

So, PR is certainly possible and has significant chunk based on what you asked. But PR is really the more "affordable" way only for single people, those without Thai families, or those who do not want a Thai passport if either Thailand or their home country would force them to give up original citizenship. Thailand only has a rule but doesn't enforce it, however other countries could be different.

For people who have Thai family, a probably faster and more economical way is to apply for citizenship directly. Having a Thai wife, and I guess speaking decent Thai, having means to support yourself and your family in Thailand, and no criminal history, you could since 2008 apply for the citizenship.

PR holders can also apply for citizenship after 5 years of holding PR.

12 hours ago, impulse said:

Understood.  But the Thai tax guy said I was a resident...  It's confusing.

You are a tax resident if you stay in Thailand over 180 days in a year. Meaning - you have to pay taxes in Thailand.

You are not however a permanent resident, an immigrant.

1 minute ago, tomazbodner said:

You are a tax resident if you stay in Thailand over 180 days in a year. Meaning - you have to pay taxes in Thailand.

You are not however a permanent resident, an immigrant.

A distinction that's not mentioned in the graphic in the OP.   They only refer to residence.  Which is easy to confuse with tax residence.  And proof of residence.  None of this confusion would arise had they included the word permanent in the graphic.  That's what PSA's are for.

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

There are many reasons I can think of but am too polite to say here. 

Give an example? You probably cant but just want to disagree which is fine. Don't pretend though there is some really obvious reason for it when there isnt

24 minutes ago, my friend you said:

I think permanent residency is NOT the same as retirement visa? Can someone enlighten me please?

Permanent residency is immigration to the country. Having a retirement visa states you are a NON-IMMIGRANT. You are in Thailand on a temporary basis. Your permission to stay needs to be extended regularly for another temporary stay. Permanent residence is when you get a stamp that states you can stay forever. There's nothing on the "Admitted until _________" line. It's blank. There's no expiry to your stamp. There's no need to extend anything. There's no need to report your whereabouts. You have a permanent address in Thailand, and the Minister of Internal Affairs has signed your application to stay in the country permanently.

Now, PR is not really 100% permanent. There are cases in which it can be revoked:

- you commit a criminal offense

- you leave the country without requesting permission to leave (this is similar to reentry permit, except you have to request it at immigration - for BKK at Chaeng Watthana, it cannot be received at the airport). But this is the same as if you are on extension of stay and you don't get reentry permit, then leave country - you lose that extension and need to apply for new visa.

7 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

For people who have Thai family, a probably faster and more economical way is to apply for citizenship directly. Having a Thai wife, and I guess speaking decent Thai, having means to support yourself and your family in Thailand, and no criminal history, you could since 2008 apply for the citizenship.

That's what I di. Actually, you don't need to speak Thai this way, if you get enough points in other areas. 

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

A distinction that's not mentioned in the graphic in the OP.   They only refer to residence.  Which is easy to confuse with tax residence.  And proof of residence.  None of this confusion would arise had they included the word permanent in the graphic.  That's what PSA's are for.

Understand, but let's look at the graphic:

Immigration.jpg

If you do not have one of the 2 books on the picture, and have received an endorsement which is also pictured there - then this doesn't apply to you.

Archived