Thai immigration relaxes re-entry rules for foreigners with permanent residency

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, mberbae said:

So what might the number be of PR's ? 12 ? 17 ?

In total I would say it is in the thousands and it would likely be 100's of thousands. There are many people that have been here for decades on PR.

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

I'm a bit lost with your post, if your suggesting that PR holders who are O/S Thailand and their re-entry date has finished now need to get another visa to be able to enter (but ultimately don't lose their PR) I don't believe that's true.

Not accepting an expired visa & insisting on a new visa was the case up until late last year. It appears to have changed recently. Checking the Thai Embassy website shows that a line has been added in entry information pages, such as, the requirements for application still say:

- Valid visa / valid re-entry

But elsewhere on another page this clarification has been added in red:

* Must have a valid certificate (Non-Quota visa) or a re-entry visa expired not earlier than 26 March 2020

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

That's not quite true. I applied for a COE mentioning that I hold Permanent Residency and my re-entry stamp was expiring.

It is good to have the update that Embassies are now working in line with Immigration policies. This was not the case at some embassies during late last year, so it seems that more (or perhaps all) Embassies have now been updated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to work in line with the Immigration rule amendments.

On 1/21/2021 at 7:46 AM, impulse said:

I'm confused...

You can re-enter on your re-entry permit.  But your visa/extension has expired...

How does that work?

Visa expiration and extension expiration are two different things. If you have a re-entry permit that implies you didn’t have a valid, unexpired usable visa, which is why the re-entry was required.

1 hour ago, S0S said:

Not accepting an expired visa & insisting on a new visa was the case up until late last year. It appears to have changed recently. Checking the Thai Embassy website shows that a line has been added in entry information pages, such as, the requirements for application still say:

- Valid visa / valid re-entry

But elsewhere on another page this clarification has been added in red:

* Must have a valid certificate (Non-Quota visa) or a re-entry visa expired not earlier than 26 March 2020

It is good to have the update that Embassies are now working in line with Immigration policies. This was not the case at some embassies during late last year, so it seems that more (or perhaps all) Embassies have now been updated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to work in line with the Immigration rule amendments.

I applied for a repat flight sydney to bkk based on holding a Thai Certificate of Residence, a couple of weeks after it was announced that holders of Thai work permits, Thai certificate of residence could now fly back on a repat flight.

I called the Sydney Consular office to check if this was all OK,  the lady checked and confirmed this was in order. I asked a couple more questions and the young lady said politely 'not many people, including the embassy staff have much knowledge about PR so I can't answer your questions. She suggested to call the ministry of Foreign Affairs on Sri Ayuthaya Rd in Bkk for deeper information. 

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Which book is the poster talking about please?

Ubonjoe, thanks for clarifying it was the RED police book.

I agree 'extend' is not the correct work, 5 year address update is more appropriate.

During Covid 19, at the big Chiang Mai police centre they have been quite flexible. My 5 year address update ws due mid August just gone but I was still in Australia. 

My Thai son went in with a photocopy of every page and asked it they would take the copies and the fee (800Baht) and mark the update on the appropriate photocopy page.

Answer 'No, but get your father to send the book from Australia and a new photo and bring it in and they would process the update'. All very polite and friendly, cop who handles this at CM always very friendly and courteous.

I sent the RED book by EMS to my son, lucky it get there within about 7 days, son took it in, they rejected the quality of the photo but did the update entry and took the money, gave receipt and said 'bring your father in and a new photo whenever he can get back. During Covid we must be flexible and if there's anything more we can help with please come back and well see if we can help'. As son was leaving the cop said 'tell your father to take care of himself, I want to see him again'. 

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Ubonjoe, thanks for clarifying it was the RED police book.

I agree 'extend' is not the correct work, 5 year address update is more appropriate.

During Covid 19, at the big Chiang Mai police centre they have been quite flexible. My 5 year address update ws due mid August just gone but I was still in Australia. 

My Thai son went in with a photocopy of every page and asked it they would take the copies and the fee (800Baht) and mark the update on the appropriate photocopy page.

Answer 'No, but get your father to send the book from Australia and a new photo and bring it in and they would process the update'. All very polite and friendly, cop who handles this at CM always very friendly and courteous.

I sent the RED book by EMS to my son, lucky it get there within about 7 days, son took it in, they rejected the quality of the photo but did the update entry and took the money, gave receipt and said 'bring your father in and a new photo whenever he can get back. During Covid we must be flexible and if there's anything more we can help with please come back and well see if we can help'. As son was leaving the cop said 'tell your father to take care of himself, I want to see him again'. 

Great reply; It is the true the officers taking care of my ' blue book ' are very friendly , even funny, too. I just don't recall I had to pay for it.... Maybe getting old??????? I'll know again next August.

23 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

Great reply; It is the true the officers taking care of my ' blue book ' are very friendly , even funny, too. I just don't recall I had to pay for it.... Maybe getting old??????? I'll know again next August.

We were discussing the red book that is updated at a police station.

46 minutes ago, Postmaster said:

Does the re-entry permit in an annual extension retirees passport expire :

1) after a certain period;   or

2) when he renews the annual extension; or

3) never, if it not used

Thanks, Ubon Joe perhaps

1 yes The validity of your ext of stay.

2 yes

3 of course it will expire if not used and you have to renew your ext of stay.

Don't forget there are single and multiple reentry permits.

A web search "Thai Re-Entry Permit Explained"

Archived