800,000 Baht 3 months before renewal "retirement visa"

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The 800k baht only needs to be in the bank for 2 months since March 1st of 2019 on the day you apply for a extension of stay based upon retirement (visas are not extended or renewed.

You do though have to keep the 800k baht in the bank for 3 months after the day you apply and then 400k baht after that.

So do I understand correctly that the rule was changed?  That it was originally 3 months, but as of March 1, 2019, it is now only 2 months?  I just want to be sure I understand.  I thought the first time you got the extension of stay based on retirement it was 2 months, and all subsequent times it's 3 months (and when you say "extension of stay", that represents every year you do it).  So I am incorrect, and it's 2 months ALL the time now?  Sorry to ask again, but I just want to be 100% sure I understand it correctly.  Thanks for the time explaining.  

7 minutes ago, allane said:

In Surin, where I live, the "old" rules still apply: 3 months before the renewal date, with no requirement to keep the money in the bank after extension.

Are you sure about that. Maybe they still want it in the bank for 3 months but the other part I would say is enforced.

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Are you sure about that. Maybe they still want it in the bank for 3 months but the other part I would say is enforced.

Yes, I'm sure I have renewed in March 2019 and March 2020. In March 2019, I went in at the 2 1/2 month point, as we are allowed to renew up to 30 days prior to the expiry date. The boss told me to come back two weeks later. I did, and everything was fine.  In March 2020 I had the money in the bank for three months before I went in,  In neither year was I asked to report back after my renewal date to present my bank book.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, allane said:

In neither year was I asked to report back after my renewal date to present my bank book.

That is not required in the rules.

Most offices only check that you were within the requirements when you apply for a new extension.

• Like 2

In 2020, I had complied, out of an abundance of caution, with the 3 month "post approval date" requirement for 2019.  I can't recall now if the officer examined my bankbook to check for that.

I am in a somewhat unique position.  My partner is employed in a professional career. For that reason, I have made a decision to comply with this rule in the event that we ever want to move to another province. I don't want to move to another province only to be told that I needed to comply with the "post renewal 3 month requirement" in Surin in the prior year.

For whatever it may be  worth, Surin gave me no notice (either verbal or written)of any "post renewal 3 month requirement" in 2019 or 2020.

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Many offices failed to provide the info about the 3 months after and then 400k baht until you top your account to 800k baht for the next extension.

I highly suggest you follow the rules or you might be in for a unpleasant experience when you apply for your extension. There have been people denied extensions for not following them.

I always maintained a separate bank account to keep 800k baht for my extension.  However, a few years ago, after staying in Thailand for 4 years, I was denied an extension for my O-A long stay retirement visa when my 800k baht bank balance dipped for a few days because I needed to pay a hospital bill for 50k baht.  The overseas transfer to top it up to 800k baht was delayed by a few days so my balance was below the 800k threshold for 3 days.  Despite having a hospitalisation certificate, immigration were adamant that I had to to leave Thailand and reapply for a further O-A visa.  I only managed to obtain an extension by using an agent to appeal to the Senior Immigration Officer, at a cost of 20k baht!   

• Like 2

21 hours ago, mtraveler said:

As I understand, you need 800,000 baht in the bank for 3 months before your visa renewal date.  What happens if you put the money in late, and therefore didn't have the 800,000 for the full 3-month period?  What remedies are available, if any?  

No problem as it is 2 months actually. 

16 hours ago, allane said:

In 2020, I had complied, out of an abundance of caution, with the 3 month "post approval date" requirement for 2019.  I can't recall now if the officer examined my bankbook to check for that.

I am in a somewhat unique position.  My partner is employed in a professional career. For that reason, I have made a decision to comply with this rule in the event that we ever want to move to another province. I don't want to move to another province only to be told that I needed to comply with the "post renewal 3 month requirement" in Surin in the prior year.

For whatever it may be  worth, Surin gave me no notice (either verbal or written)of any "post renewal 3 month requirement" in 2019 or 2020.

In Bangkok they check your bank book prior to granting your extension to make sure you have had the 800,000 3 months after your previous extension was granted and maintained 400,000 minimum after that.

if you are not following these rules I am sure we will be seeing a future post from you about how you were screwed by immigration and looking for sympathy which I assure you is not available here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, 5633572526 said:

In Bangkok they check your bank book prior to granting your extension to make sure you have had the 800,000 3 months after your previous extension was granted and maintained 400,000 minimum after that.

if you are not following these rules I am sure we will be seeing a future post from you about how you were screwed by immigration and looking for sympathy which I assure you is not available here.

And what are you trying to say?   is that a poor me story?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, allane said:

In Surin, where I live, the "old" rules still apply: 3 months before the renewal date, with no requirement to keep the money in the bank after extension.

thats a huge difference... wow... I would not like to push that... as they will awaken at any moment....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5633572526 said:

I am following the rules. Clearly you have not understood my post which you have quoted.

27 minutes ago, Seeall said:

thats a huge difference... wow... I would not like to push that... as they will awaken at any moment....

If you reread my post, you will see that I stated that I am following the rules. Here are the three reasons why:

1. As with most such matters, following the rules makes life easier than trying to evade them.  I have always been amused by guys coming on here and asking "I know what the rule says, but is it really necessary that I comply with it ?", or some variation of that.

2. As I stated, I want to cover myself in case we move to another province which might check to see how much money I kept in my account from 12 months to 9 months prior.

3. If Surin is not following the rule regarding "3 months post renewal date", there is a possibility that they will "awaken" to use your word, or be told by Khon Kaen or Bangkok to get in step with everyone else.

I have been told by the visa sub-forum "guru" that if you need a few further days to meet the 2 month bank deposit requirement, you can apply for the renewal late and pay an overstay fine. They will back date the renewal to the original expiry date. I don't know how many days you can go over with this method, however.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, allane said:

Surely everyone knows now how Thailands IOs works although I can understand any newbies concerns. They all have their own interpretation of the rules and may vary from office to office, and change according to what the Boss wants.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Surely everyone knows now how Thailands IOs works although I can understand any newbies concerns. They all have their own interpretation of the rules and may vary from office to office, and change according to what the Boss wants.

u are correct but not about why people cant accept it all....   most of us are from countries that have and follow rules...... me too, cant accept how hard it is for people to accept, after all the stories they still think its black/white when its ALL grey......  just because somchai gave me 2000 thb doent mean tomorrow he will...

2 minutes ago, Seeall said:

u are correct but not about why people cant accept it all....   most of us are from countries that have and follow rules...... me too, cant accept how hard it is for people to accept, after all the stories they still think its black/white when its ALL grey......  just because somchai gave me 2000 thb doent mean tomorrow he will...

I don't follow peoples rules if I don't agree with them. I usually find a way round them.

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:
21 hours ago, mtraveler said:

So do I understand correctly that the rule was changed? 

It is 2 months for every extension application now.

From the order that changed the requirements.

image.png.09bd0156f8a0969b698e290d38f29c3c.png

Do you have a link to that page or rule, or some specific document # that I can locate and download/print a copy. Just for my records and next year,

October 2020 I was sent away from Chiang Mai Immigration Office as I had not increased my amount to 800K 3 months prior to my application for renewal. I argued it was two months. I was told no, it is three months. The female officer (yep) showed me a paper with the highlighted text, "3 months ahead of application date". Argument over.

Nothing I could do but, grit my teeth, smile, thank her, and come back two weeks later. Oh, right, needed a new bank letter, and same day deposit and print out of my bank book pages - grrrr. Any help appreciated.

6 hours ago, 5633572526 said:

As we all know the IO's all do pretty much as they want on the day and even the same IO will give different rules for different people in my experience at Samui immigration.

I am on a Non "O" visa based on Retirement.

For example to cover myself when doing 90 day reports, I always take photocopies of my updated Bank Book and the Bank Book itself together with my passport (showing a transaction on the day).

I have asked if they need all this on the last three 90 day reports I have done and they said yes.

Others on Samui that I know have said they just take the updated (on the day) Bank Book with their passport ...No photocopies.

Seems like the Rules are followed according to the "Time of The Month" if you get my drift????

In no way am I being sexist, but all the IO's that I ever deal with (now that "Mr. Nasty" went to jail a few years ago for corruption) are female.

:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, LomSak27 said:

Do you have a link to that page or rule, or some specific document # that I can locate and download/print a copy. Just for my records and next year,

Number 14 in this pinned topic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Number 14 in this pinned topic. 

Hi Joe,

Sorry no I do not have a printed copy of the Samui 90 day reporting requirements, but I will try and ask for one on my next visit and forward it to you if successful.

Cheers!

Another "Quirk/Idiosyncrasy" of the Samui office is unless you have very good reason to do your Retirement Extension before they will not allow you do it until a maximum of 10 days before your current extension will expire.

In my case I needed to extend 3 weeks before to attend my Son's wedding in the UK 2 years ago.

They wanted proof i.e., copies of my airline tickets and itinerary before they grudgingly allowed me to proceed.