Should covid liars and deniers be punished or blocked ?

robblok

48 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Heh, have you seen the vids? One lady trashes a mask display in a Target, ranting about how Covid is a hoax. Another guy shoves his way into a Walmart, through staff trying to deny him without a mask. Another of the many things shaming us in the eyes of the world.

Great example of covid deniers and ones helping with the spread of the virus.  Nutters, driven by political BS and misinformation on social media.

38 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

Who. Cares. 

These straight loons dont influence "masses" thats just what you believe is happening. Most covid discussion revolves mostly around people, like you say, getting fed up with the situation itself, or politicians throwing their nuts into it and picking winners and losers. You seem to fixate on the loons, like somehow its all them that are making covid so bad. 

Right.  How many in the US don't wear a mask because of Trump's example?  Millions.  They believe politicians over medical experts.  Nutters all of them.

• Like 2

Just now, Jeffr2 said:

How many in the US don't wear a mask because of Trump's example?  Millions.  They believe politicians over medical experts.  Nutters all of them.

I wouldnt know how many "dont wear masks" but I would assume a vast majority do and you citing "millions" is just a guess. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Poet said:

To be fair, your angry response to his comment does seem to prove his point. I get the sense that you would find it hard to stop yourself punching him if he was within swinging distance.

Not angry at all,i have not hit anyone for a long time.

I was just proving a point that people only want to see their own side of the story but i see your point and maybe (probably)i am one of those also.

Where does that leave you?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Don't agree.  When you do your own unbiased research fact-checking isn't always an easy task.  And it is definitely not same as googling Wikipedia or visiting 'fact-checking' sites, as they also have an agenda. 

It does take time, but it's not that hard.  First, stay away from the fringe websites and social media outlets.  Sadly, many who are CV19 deniers and anti-vaxx'ers only read these sites.  And get misinformation.

They've been programed to believe MSM is fake news.  Primarily by Trump and the right wing media outlets. This is absolutely not true.  Stick with The NY Times, WaPo, AP News, NPR, BBC, etc.  Avoid Fox, Breitbart, InfoWars, Epoch Times, etc.

What fact checking site has an agenda?

https://www.adfontesmedia.com/static-mbc/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

Thats exactly what freedom of speech means. 

No it doesn't.  Spread slander and you're the target of a lawsuit, potentially.  Or here in Thailand, in jail if you spread misinformation about Covid on social media.  Congrats to Thailand for this.

• Like 1

Just now, Jeffr2 said:

No it doesn't.  Spread slander and you're the target of a lawsuit, potentially.  Or here in Thailand, in jail if you spread misinformation about Covid on social media.  Congrats to Thailand for this.

Over covid, Thailand seem to have pretty much got the way they handle it about right...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

In a 'restriction of speech' scenario (i.e. censorship) the question is also WHO decides what is a lie, and where to draw the line of what is considered a lie.

The idea that the 'majority' decides what is true and what is not, has a long history of being proven wrong, time and again.

And for every expert claiming X, there is another equally qualified one that states Y or Z.

The other side of the coin of not allowing the spread of what are considered 'lies' is denying people the opportunity to make up their own mind based on different points of view.  As the saying oes: Where everyone thinks the same, there is usually not much thinking going on...

So imo the noble idea would be to allow everybody to speak his mind without any restrictions and trusting the process that in the end sanity (but not always the truth) will prevail.

I am not afraid of people having different views and spreading them, but I am afraid of people that deny me the right to make up my own mind by deciding what I can read or say 'for my own good'.  

Problem is when fake news is used then your making your mind up based on fake news. You are quite sensible but not everyone is as bright you are. I get your point its a hard topic.

I would say a lie is saying nobody is in ICU care from covid and that doctors are getting 20k per patient. Those are lies and easily proven. Debating over the efficiency of a vaccine is different that is more grey. But absolute lies should not be tolerated.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

I wouldnt know how many "dont wear masks" but I would assume a vast majority do and you citing "millions" is just a guess. 

they're saying 80-90% do.  That leaves 10-20% who don't.  That would mean...wait...millions don't.  No guessing there...

https://healthpolicy.usc.edu/evidence-base/vast-majority-of-americans-support-wearing-masks-but-a-deeper-look-at-mask-wearing-behavior-reveals-troubling-lack-of-adherence-to-social-distancing-recommendations/

Just now, jvs said:

You are right about that!but that does not mean you can say anything you like.

Never said it was "limitless" but saying you cant "lie" or "mislead" is false. 

Its also could be considered a lie, and misleading, by the standards being thrown around in this very thread. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, robblok said:

Just if you spread lies like the one i mentioned. The kind that just can't be denied and do damage to everyone. Trump got a label for fake news. Maybe something like that.

Here you go

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/final-tally-of-lies-analysts-say-trump-told-30000-mistruths-%e2%80%93-thats-21-a-day-%e2%80%93-during-presidency/ar-BB1cWa5Q?ocid=mailsignout&li=AAgfLCP

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

Never said it was "limitless" but saying you cant "lie" or "mislead" is false. 

Its also could be considered a lie, and misleading, by the standards being thrown around in this very thread. 

It could be called libel or slander.  Which is illegal.  Like the nutters saying the voting machines were counting wrong.  Many of them are now in lawsuits. 

Or, spread CV19 lies or misleading info, and here in Thailand, you could go to jail.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Mixed feelings about this post.

Fully agree with your 1st paragraph, which concludes that the narrative with regard to Covid, is either fake, incorrect, misleading or scientifically flawed.

But then in your 2nd paragraph, you plead for a zero lock-down while the effectiveness of lock-downs is a prime example of what you wrote in the 1st one.

All I am saying is that most of the Covid facts and narratives do not seem to be accurate, and there are still alot about of aspects of this thing we don't seem to know much about. It is not as it appears. Lockdowns sometimes work, and sometimes do not. Why is Florida not locked down, and yet the cases are not spiking? Why are NY state and Southern California experiencing such alarming numbers, yet locked down? Why didn't they lock down Samut Sakorn immediately, after it was apparent it was the new "ground zero"? Far more questions, than answers. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

As you well know, they're still trying to understand this virus.  No easy answers other than try to do what the medical experts say.  Mask up, social distance, and wash your hands.

One of the biggest problems in the US is lies by politicians.  And the sidelining of medical experts for political gain.  They should all be fired.

They have not been able to isolate any corona virus. Yet there are innumerable vaccines that have been developed to give immunity. These vaccines are not vaccines at all.

In France, and Holland, and indeed Germany, the take up has been poor. Due mostly because their citizens have been better informed about C-19 and the vaccines.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, lanng khao said:

Only took you 12 posts in before you mentioned the mighty UK, obsessed with us arnt ya..

I did but did you see it mentioned anywhere else in this topic. Its just a fact that most of the guys that dislike Germans are from the UK. They also often bring up WW2. I really expected that the guy meant that but he actually had some good solid reasons and it was not a bash at the Germans.

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

Mixed feelings about this post.

Fully agree with your 1st paragraph, which concludes that the narrative with regard to Covid, is either fake, incorrect, misleading or scientifically flawed.

But then in your 2nd paragraph, you plead for a zero lock-down while the effectiveness of lock-downs is a prime example of what you wrote in the 1st one.

I guess the difference is new york is cold people spend their time indoors where the virus spreads easily. Floriday is warm and most people are outdoors so it spread less. Just a logical guess. 

Also sunshine seems to kill it faster ect. So there are differences.

Edited by robblok
  • Like 1