Pattaya taxi driver forced to sell melons as COVID-19 destroy his livelihood

webfact

1 hour ago, worldexpress said:

4,000 a day? That's more than what most uber (or cab) drivers make in the US! I hope the experience humbles him and has him reflecting on his past ripping people off. A cynic in me says it's doubtful though.

4,000 a day, not just from the Taxi fare but also from renting out his cars.

Seems like a fairly low income considering the risk of outlay / finance on the cars. 

That said: Understandably there is little sympathy for a Pattaya taxi driver who, for the most part have rather negative reputations preceding them. But, this is one of the guys who have found something else positive to do, others may not be so willing and may turn to other avenues of revenue generation. The obvious bigger concern is as people get more desperate they may turn to crime, potentially more confrontational crime, muggings, burglaries etc

I have more sympathy for the Bangkok Taxi drivers, far fewer of them are were chancers, only those parked up in tourist areas and certain areas of central Sukhumvit - yet the everyone has taken a massive hit. 

The World really needs to get back to normal as quickly as possible - too many people are really hurting from these lockdowns. I hope the vaccines can get issued amongst those in need and in high risk groups as quickly as possible. 

Once a those older than 60 and in high risk groups have been vaccinated I see no reason why any country cannot open back up as normal and hopefully people can get back to their lives and recover from the economic crisis this unfortunate turn of events has placed them in. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, sungod said:

Had he not overcharged by refusing to turn the meter on for 9 years then I may have some sympathy, plenty honest people out there in a worse position than him.

The only truth !!!

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

4,000 a day, not just from the Taxi fare but also from renting out his cars.

Seems like a fairly low income considering the risk of outlay / finance on the cars. 

Oh yeah... I forgot that he's the "chairman." 4K does seem low for the Don of the taxi mafia.

9 years of going to the mattresses to selling melons... i can't imagine the change of pace in life. 

On 1/21/2021 at 9:43 AM, webfact said:

He was making 4,000 baht a day, 120K a month until the pandemic - and the lack of tourists - saw his business collapse after 9 years of success. 

No sympathy from me, and should his melons be attacked by insects, still no sympathy from me.  

• Haha 1

i feel sad for him. but when i look back, i think why should I? i dont have a great experience with them.

in bkk/pattaya etc-

they charge you a high price if you are with a woman and want to return to your hotel.

they do not want to use the meter.

One good experience was in udon though. This guy would pick me up every night from the bar complex near the central plaza after i find the girl. One day when I was alone he said , i am hannsome man and why i go with bar girl. he asked me to date his sister who was a university student there. ????????

well i cudn't as I had plans to meet my full time thai gf in VTE next day. ????????

Edited by lovethai123