Euthanize Pet

Unfortunately I have a cat who has late stage FIV syndrome (feline immuno virus)...she has stopped eating and is having difficulty breathing. In order to minimize her end of life suffering, I would like to put her to sleep. My experience with Thai veterinarians is that most are extremely reluctant to do this (or outright don't provide this service). Does anyone know of a Pattaya vet who will euthanize pets? Thank you in advance for any recommendations. 

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Guderian said:

Sorry to hear that, it's very distressing. I was in the same position a few years ago, my dearly beloved little dog had chronic kidney failure caused by tick parasites and it was clear she was slowly dying, so I wanted to be prepared just in case and looked into this subject a little bit.

There was a thread on it a few years ago:

This is advice from BM konying:

"Pattaya Animal Clinic on Pattaya Tai, would do it . See Dr Kwanchai, do not see his wife.038 373 622

Eastern Pet hospital, on Sukhumvit road, next to Kawasaki shop, across the road from Honda Big Wing, directly opposite soi 46/3 Dr Sumadee, try him, but in confidence.

Mueang Acke on Sukhumvit road, has done it in the past."

I hope that helps.

In the end I didn't need their services so I didn't pursue the matter any further, my dog passed away naturally in her sleep one afternoon. Other than some difficulty walking towards the end, she hadn't been in any pain and was eating well right up to the end. I was actually quite grateful for this ending, much better than the trauma of taking her to be put down.

Thank you for the info, on behalf of other pet owners here.  It is my one big worry in regard to our two dogs.  They are young and healthy right now, but the ending of the life of a pet can be very traumatic for both animal and owner.  

• Like 1

Pattaya Community Pet Hospital.

Soi Nerm Pleb Wan (Suk 53).

Sorry, all in Thai here ...but link  comes up in English on my laptop and phone.

โรงพยาบาลสัตว์ชุมชนพัทยา ซอย เนินพลับหวาน เมืองพัทยา อำเภอบางละมุง ชลบุรี 20150 061 095 6565 https://maps.app.goo.gl/3wFMqZsTJVKHwTpx8

https://goo.gl/maps/mockm5vSF8jHXmH79

Edited by jacko45k
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HAPPYNUFF said:

I   had this problem some  years ago.   Our  lovely old dog   was suffering badly.   the vet.  we had  used  many times past wouldnt help in easing the pain.     As  my wife  said, and was right, it was just a matter of how much  money was involved,  and some  persuasive words.     A 1000 bahrt note changed hands  and      three different needles  were used.A  soft and gentle sleep.

as I said earlier,  hypocrites 

17 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

as I said earlier,  hypocrites 

a difficult crossroads of religion... the pet will die eventually anyway - most religions also preach compassion...it seems cruel to not help facilitate a peaceful ending... 

and more difficult as well, what about for people? shouldn't there be a way to bow out with grace, and dignity.. but when and who decides? 

My deepest sympathies to the OP

Edited by 1FinickyOne
  • Like 1

When i had my 2 dogs put to sleep it was the hardest thing i have done as i was with them, one was 12 and one was15, the vet gave them some valium first then the jag to put them to sleep, there was no suffering, as i write this there ashes are a few feet away. I have one dog left i brought the 3 of them from Scotland a mother and 2 daughters, they were the first pets i ever had, my wife is Thai when she first came to Scotland she was not aloud to work and asked if she could have a dog, the one we got was 5 months old, after a year when she was on heat she took her to the local shop and tied her to a lamp post some time later she had 8 puppies we kept 2 . 

20180704_213244.jpg

• Like 1

Worth noting that animals that are allowed to run free here do get these bites that can kill.  I've had several friends who've lost pets due to this.  One reason we're careful where we let our dog run free.  Definitely not on the beach as they are normally packed with stray dogs that have all sorts of diseases.

13 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

The most common mistake is keeping the pet alive for the emotional benifit of the owners, i recently had put one of my dogs to sleep ( march 20' ) and in hindsight i should have done it 6-8 weeks earlier than what is did.

This is not a mistake i will make with my other dogs.

It's never nice losing a family member but when you have the ability to stop the suffering the right decision needs to be made for the animal, not the owners, not easy but it's the right thing to do.

The trouble is, its a bit of a guessing game with pets.  Obviously they can't talk, so its always a judgement call and there is a natural inclination to leave it until its obvious they are in pain or can't cope anymore.  

Just to wrap up my op, I did find a vet close to my house who will put pets to sleep, providing they are in pain/suffering from incurable disease or at the end of their natural life. He seems very genuine and knowledgeable and his English is very good so communication is easy. His name is "Dr. Win" and his clinic, Pattaya Premium Pet Center, is located opposite The Chilled Mall on Soi Khow Noi (15/211-212 Soi Boonsamphan). 086-999-4794. There are two vet clinics on this block so be sure to it's the right one.

I also found this helpful article, which has advice and thoughts for people dealing with pets and their end of life.

https://www.self.com/story/pet-euthanasia-at-home-putting-down-your-pet-easier