50,000 doses of AstraZeneca vaccine to arrive in first week of Feb: Anutin

webfact

50,000 doses of AstraZeneca vaccine to arrive in first week of Feb: Anutin

By The Nation

800_54ad5ea1ac0206b.jpg?v=1611218112

The first 50,000 doses of the AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine will arrive in Thailand in the first week of February, Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said on Wednesday.

The doses are part of a batch of 26 million secured by Thailand at US$5 (Bt150) per dose, said Anutin. This shipment is not the same batch to be produced by local firm Siam Bioscience under a technology-transfer deal with AstraZeneca, he added. More vaccine would arrive in March and April, he said.

The 26 million doses are the first lot that Thailand agreed to purchase in October last year, while negotiations on the price for another 35 million AstraZeneca doses are still ongoing. Anutin said Thailand still does not have enough vaccine, since doses procured so far are only enough to inoculate 30 million people.

The Health Minister added he had volunteered to become the first person in Thailand to receive the AstraZeneca jab. Dr Yong Poovorawan, a virus expert at Chulalongkorn University’s Faculty of Medicine, will administer the vaccine to Anutin.

The other vaccine ordered by Thailand – CoronaVac made by Chinese company SinoVac – is still pending registration in China, said the health minister. Thus, AstraZeneca’s vaccine is likely to be registered in Thailand first.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30401595

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2021-01-21

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, webfact said:

The doses are part of a batch of 26 million secured by Thailand at US$5 (Bt150) per dose, said Anutin.

Be interesting to see how much they sell a dose for!

26 minutes ago, webfact said:

while negotiations on the price for another 35 million AstraZeneca doses are still ongoing.

Well this batch should be even cheaper given the quantity! I wonder how much margin they are negotiating?

10 minutes ago, CraigInBangkok said:

I hope it becomes a lot more than 50 000 a month or it will take 263  years to vaccinate the whole nation with two doses

Bet you will get it faster for (x)xxx Baht at a private hospital?

Expat VIP vaccine.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

i would love to see a world wide trend started by rich celebrities/corporations/media etc....remember the ACL bucket challenge going around years ago.

how about a covid vaccine for the poor challenge ??

there are thousands of celebrities all over the world in every country that could get this ball rolling. could you imagine the press you would get if you tried to out due your celeb pal by donating more money than they did. 

here i'll go first...i nominate apple inc to step up to the challenge and purchase 1 million vaccines for fellow americans for free distribution. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mr mr said:

i would love to see a world wide trend started by rich celebrities/corporations/media etc....remember the ACL bucket challenge going around years ago.

how about a covid vaccine for the poor challenge ??

there are thousands of celebrities all over the world in every country that could get this ball rolling. could you imagine the press you would get if you tried to out due your celeb pal by donating more money than they did. 

here i'll go first...i nominate apple inc to step up to the challenge and purchase 1 million vaccines for fellow americans for free distribution. 

good to read, great thoughts, 

there arent enough vaccines yet. this vaccine is not like shoes , stationary, clothes that u can buy and send to africa. there is not enough. the vaccine isnt freely available that i can buy and send to haiti or sahara. first come first serve. countries have already made deals. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rodknock said:

so who is getting the first shots?

50,000vials of vacine is only 25,000 with 2 injections.

Could be 50K with the second shot from a subsequent delivery. The UK has extended the interval between shots to 3 months.

1 minute ago, lovethai123 said:

no , its nt needed . thai company had tech transfer done already by astra, as per the article. its weird why they didnt make it already.

To answer that you would need to know what facility/capacity would be available. From what I gather AZ did not release the final manufacturing information to Thailand until sometime in December.

India is already a huge vaccine manufacturer and probably had facilities ready and waiting allowing a much quicker response.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sandyf said:

What would Pfizer have to do with the AZ vaccine?

because uk had been giving pfizer shots to begin with, nt sure if they started using oxford one yet, so i assumed its pfizer , and comment was that the gap is 3 monhts, 

so i said nt good IMo, unless approved by pfizer scientists

Edited by lovethai123

Why aren't they producing it? Oxford has offered the license to all the countries who want it to produce themselves. Thailand has the labs to produce, why aren't the labs running around the clock 24/7, why dilly-dally importing small batches?

6 minutes ago, TSF said:

Why aren't they producing it? Oxford has offered the license to all the countries who want it to produce themselves. Thailand has the labs to produce, why aren't the labs running around the clock 24/7, why dilly-dally importing small batches?

I would guess comittees within hubs need to be established first ???? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TSF said:

money money money.

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand’s Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved the usage of COVID-19 vaccine from AstraZeneca Plc for domestic inoculation, the first coronavirus vaccine to be approved in the country, a health ministry source told Reuters.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-thailand-vaccine-idUSKBN29Q194

Reuters editor Matthew Tostevin pointed out on his twitter feed that the approval at this stage is for the imported vaccine rather than the one that will be produced locally by Bioscience

• Like 1

5 hours ago, keith101 said:

Yeah always taking care of number 1 , i would have thought doctors and nurses who are in contact with those that have the virus should be the first to get the vaccine not a politician .

Quite agree. On the scale of value and usefulness to humanity........????