TAT stirs ‘nostalgia’ to keep Thailand in people’s minds

webfact

In the old days, did all the various visa requirements exist? It is time now to have

a much more simple visa requirement in the future.  I doubt anything will happen in

that regard, and that is why I will never live a long time in Thailand.  This third world country

will be that to me until I die.  WInter of 2022 will be when I return, so I do hope 2021

is a year of realizing just how bad the corona virus has hit the whole world, and the

smaller amount of tourists will be only one sign of that fact.  Good luck TAT

maybe some of you will still have jobs in 2 years.

Geezer

• Like 1

The issue is of course the "restart"............... 

Its going to be like an old car thats been left in the garage far too long.

When they arrive tourists will be confronted with.......everything being mostly closed, places deserted, no atmosphere and massive overpricing as people try to make a quick buck.

I have been holidaying in Europe in 2020.....and it surprised me how cheap it was compared to Thailand. Better quality and lower price.

Going to take at least three years to restart and get back to where it was - maybe never.  Question is..........will you be willing to have a crappy overpriced rip off holiday to be part of the "restart" ????   Prices will be high and service low until mass tourism is back in full swing, and that will take years.........

The past couple of years also left a nasty "Thai anti-foreigner" feeling in most peoples mouths............and a lot of people have lost respect for Thailand and lost the desire to spend money and time in Thailand anymore.  As can be seen from the STV scheme...........only those trapped into living in Thailand with property or family have been coming..........and most of them if they were not trapped would never have gone back.  

Thailand has lost its shine............its image for foreigners has been tarnished by those in power..........and many have "fallen out of love" with Thailand and the "nostalgia" is now just that........there is no desire.  I believe a very big shock is ahead for Thailand and tourism will never again be what it was........they have killed the goose that laid the golden eggs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

In the old days, did all the various visa requirements exist? It is time now to have

a much more simple visa requirement in the future. 

The visas were a lot easier to get and maintain in the 90's and early 00's.

When I first got here nearly every British, American or Aussie expat was using a visa service to extend or renew. Nobody ever did visa runs unless they actually wanted to go somewhere. You could pop down to a certain bar in Silom or Sukhumvit and it would all be sorted for you. Pay the fee, hand your passport over and they would call you to collect when it was done. Most of these agents had the tacit approval from immigration and were 'proper' services (i.e. your passport actually went to the border or to the Consulate). There was no need for money in the bank or even to do extensions.

Overstay wasn't an issue either. Even really long ones. Just pay the fine (I think it was 200thb per day for a while then increased to 500thb in early 00's).

The real clampdowns started under Thaksin's first administration.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, webfact said:

TAT has also launched a “Save Partners” campaign, which aims to help agents, tour operators, destination management companies and other businesses that sell tourism products in Thailand.

Save them?

They are flat on the table without a pulse. You will need the paddles. "CLEAR!"

Classic. Hang them out to dry until you need them. Then it's all "We're Partners".

22 hours ago, webfact said:

the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has launched a “nostalgic warm-up” campaign to keep the country on “top of people’s minds”.

On top of people's minds, a good start would be to make it easy to enter Thailand , for a example a 90 day Visa on arrival ,the same as Malaysia does , (that would sure be on top of peoples minds )   Regards ,,,,  Popa 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Paul Henry said:

TAT are  overlooking the obvious. Unfortunately they cannot see the trees for the forest. There are many basic issues that need to be addressed. over value baht, draconian drinking laws and excess taxes on some alcoholic beverages ( supposedly to protect Thai industry eg wine) dual pricing, attitude to tourists rip them off as often as you can. Police targeting them for tea money (hire a motor bike put another 20% on to stop every cop from writing you a ticket.) Taxis sorry meter not working fair 500 baht. I could go on from my personal experience but we have all been victims of "THE LAND OF SMILES

These points might deter some, but bearing in mind it has always been the case and yet people (did) continue to pile in. There is nothing like sun, sex and the need to escape to trump all un-niceties.