BOI work permit, working in a different province than company office

Hello,

I'm working in Thailand in a BOI company. My boss said that I can't legally work remotely from a different province that is mentioned in the BOI registration. However the law changed in 2018 that allows people with a work permit to work from any province, so the limitations were abolished, at least as far as i know.

My boss thinks this doesn't include BOI work permits/or companies. Does anyone have more detailed information about the exact legislation in a case like this?

Our office is in Bangkok, but I'd love to work remotely from another province, and that's pretty much the only obstacle I have.

What does it say in work permit? Sometimes it only allows specific address (of your office), on my BOI issued one it's written "Bangkok" so legally I can work anywhere in Bangkok (province? city?) but not outside. Answer should be in your WP booklet or DWP app.

22 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

What does it say in work permit? Sometimes it only allows specific address (of your office), on my BOI issued one it's written "Bangkok" so legally I can work anywhere in Bangkok (province? city?) but not outside. Answer should be in your WP booklet or DWP app.

It does say Bangkok.

There's just the new law in 2018 that specifically states that work permits are no longer limited by regions, eg https://thepattayanews.com/2018/07/29/thailand-changes-work-permits-with-a-work-permit-one-can-now-work-in-a-permitted-job-anywhere-at-any-time/ .

My work permit was updated in 2020 and it says "permitted locality of work: Bangkok", but aren't these in conflict with each others?

1 hour ago, GabrielWylde said:

It does say Bangkok.

There's just the new law in 2018 that specifically states that work permits are no longer limited by regions, eg https://thepattayanews.com/2018/07/29/thailand-changes-work-permits-with-a-work-permit-one-can-now-work-in-a-permitted-job-anywhere-at-any-time/ .

My work permit was updated in 2020 and it says "permitted locality of work: Bangkok", but aren't these in conflict with each others?

They certainly are. I would not want to take chances against labour department/police, unless you plan to work from your home and it's nothing that would attract official visit...

On 23/01/2021 at 9:35 AM, VocalNeal said:

So he doesn't wnat you to?

I think he's just explaining the legal aspect, he's said it's fine for him that I work remotely but obviously would be better to clear any possible legislative hurdles.

What I'm trying to find out is whether his interpretation of the law is obsolete by the legislative changes done in 2018, or is there something related to the BOI that I'm not aware of.

On 23/01/2021 at 9:25 AM, xxxarte said:

Thanks, as far as I see that law should indeed clear any need for specific location. Judging by the evidence I'm inclined to believe my boss is relying on obsolete information.

On 22/01/2021 at 4:20 PM, tomazbodner said:

They certainly are. I would not want to take chances against labour department/police, unless you plan to work from your home and it's nothing that would attract official visit...

Thanks for the comment. I do indeed work from home, but might need to keep my main address in BKK just for this. I do have a condo over there, but with the lockdown etc I'd like more open spaces.

Archived