1.5 Million Thais Near Poverty

snoop1130

1.5 Million Thais Near Poverty

4-qasccvv.jpg.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 21 (TNA) – COVID-19 was heavily affecting the Thai economy and 1.5 million Thai people were approaching the poverty line, said the World Bank.

The poverty ratio in Thailand rose to 8.8% last year, compared with 6.2% in 2019, it said.

The World Bank viewed that although the Thai economy passed its rock bottom in the second quarter of 2020, the new COVID-19 wave could affect tourism and workers in the country. 

Full Story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news/line-today-english-news-622003

tnalogo.jpg

-- © Copyright TNA 2021-01-21

• Sad 5
  • Haha 1

How many?!! Only 1.5 million?!

Apparently, (according to a quick google search) there are 14 miilion people living in poverty in the U.K.?!! 

So thats almost 10 times more people in poverty in the U.K. than Thai people living in near poverty in Thailand.?

Of course though...it all depends on what is classed as "poverty".

I would be amazed though, if only 1.5 million people in Thailand are living in" near poverty".

By the same token, Id also be amazed if 14 million in the U.K. are living in "poverty".

Edited by welshguy
spelling
  • Like 2

You are forgetting one group of people.  You can probably say that another group is the one that is existing on credit cards they will never pay. I still don't understand how thai's can afford to live in BKK

I think that when all is said and done there is going to be a huge financial pandemic in the world.

Imagine owning a few homes that you depend on to pay mortgages and such.  Once the government freezes come off a lot of banks will be looking for money.

The only saving grace here is that foreclosure takes so long.

4 hours ago, welshguy said:

How many?!! Only 1.5 million?!

Apparently, (according to a quick google search) there are 14 miilion people living in poverty in the U.K.?!! 

So thats almost 10 times more people in poverty in the U.K. than Thai people living in near poverty in Thailand.?

Of course though...it all depends on what is classed as "poverty".

I would be amazed though, if only 1.5 million people in Thailand are living in" near poverty".

By the same token, Id also be amazed if 14 million in the U.K. are living in "poverty".

The UK government definition of poverty is defined as a household income below 60% of the average. Other countries might vary.

13 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Got to be more than that in Phuket alone

the official population in Phuket is just under 500000, and that’s in peak times. Even accounting for extra people to service the tourist industry (a lot of them would have left anyway) I think you’re being a little dramatic 

• Confused 1