1.5 Million Thais Near Poverty

snoop1130

The government has devised a cunning plan to eliminate all poverty in Thailand.  Since the World Bank measures poverty by USD earnings, the authorities have embarked on a massive effort to sink the USD in Thailand.  The lower the Dollar—the less poverty reported by World Bank.  In the last 9 months the Baht has risen more than 8% on the USD.  When they bring the USD to parity with the mighty Baht—even a Thai making 20 Baht per day will catapult themselves out of poverty and land solidly into the middle class.

Edited by Isaan sailor
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AhFarangJa said:

One point five million NEAR the poverty line, and countless millions around the country way, way, below it. However, as long as the Generals, and their Government sycophants etc. have their toys, kickbacks, massive pensions, and sinecures, all will be rosy................

Until, one day...

I suspect that the one thing which acts as a safety valve for this particular pressure cooker is the existence of something resembling rudimentary health care provision (the "30 Baht" scheme) and universal ( if dismal away from the major cities) education. If those are removed ( they are viewed as an expensive diversion of funds which could be put to better use) then the pot will boil.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Happyman567 said:

Its more than 1.5 million But as i said before Thais dont exactly like to work plus the government keeps throwing holidays at them

My 72 year old father in law and his M5 and M6 granddaughters up in Issan are out in the fields, cutting the sugar and loading up the trailer. They can't get the workers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Far more than 1.5 million. Since very few Thai's pay income tax, it would be interesting to know what the world bank base their figures on.

Humbly, NEAR poverty? ONLY 1,5 Million? Has the world bank been here? Dubious statement

The World Bank should be spending more time getting unscrupulous Thai business owners to stop using cheap migrant labor,  provide decent working conditions and wages for workers.

IOM estimates between 4 and 5 million migrants laborers in Thailand, there is no need for anyone to be out of work or in poverty.

Edited by sungod

Me thinks we have way more writers than readers here. The article says that 1.5m are approaching the poverty line,  it doesn't discuss what is the current number in poverty now...although working back with the percentages given one can figure it out. In the context given approaching likely means on the way in, not the way out.

The real numbers are much much higher of course. Never the less I wonder when and how the government is going to help the people? 

So far no relief package and no vaccination. The Borders are still closed and more and more businesses are closing.

Who cares?

4 minutes ago, Sean60 said:

The real numbers are much much higher of course. Never the less I wonder when and how the government is going to help the people? 

So far no relief package and no vaccination. The Borders are still closed and more and more businesses are closing.

Who cares?

There have been 3-4 relief/stimulus packages, Tax cuts, mortgage relief, 50% off food and goods. electricity rebates, subsidised travel etc.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

My 72 year old father in law and his M5 and M6 granddaughters up in Issan are out in the fields, cutting the sugar and loading up the trailer. They can't get the workers.

Many  of  the  poor are poor  for  a  very  very  good  reason,  totally  unwilling to do any  and  all  work  relying  instead  on  family  members who  do  have  work,  in  short , lazy.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

There have been 3-4 relief/stimulus packages, Tax cuts, mortgage relief, 50% off food and goods. electricity rebates, subsidised travel etc.

However, you must qualify for any of it and many do not....no equitable treatment amongst the needy and lower middle class.

• Like 2