Buying a new second hand bike, paperwork ?

Joinaman

Hi there, just reading about changing the ownership of a bike if i buy it

Go with seller to Land office, check out the bike and do the change of ownership there ?

But, it says i would need a certificate of residency 

Only just got this certificate for my licence renewal, which took weeks to get

do i need to get a certificate, before buying ? The other paperwork is no bother, i think 

and if i buy in another province, how does that work ?

Probably a simple answer for a simple person, but would appreciate some advice 

Thanks 

You need to have address proof  in order to transfer the bike into your name which means usually certificate of residence unless for example you have a work permit which states your residential address. You go to the DLT, not the land office (that one is for land titles as the name implies). The DLT in the province where you reside.

48 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

You need to have address proof  in order to transfer the bike into your name which means usually certificate of residence unless for example you have a work permit which states your residential address. You go to the DLT, not the land office (that one is for land titles as the name implies). The DLT in the province where you reside.

Thanks eisfeld

I understand that part, i need to register it in my own province

But do i need to go to the DLT with the seller in his province to do anything, or do i just get him to sign and get copies of his passport, etc, which i then take to my local DLT, along with my paperwork ?

Do i need to do any checks before i ride away with the bike back to my province ?

Sorry for so many questions, but have only ever bought new before  from dealer

Thanks again

You can get the seller to fill up and sign a power of attorney letter , then with all correct paperwork he does not need to go with you to any office at all...

You can go at a later date and do the transfer. If buying from other province you also need to change number plate and register green book to new province, two step operation..., but I've done this once and it was a breeze if all paperwork are provided and signed correctly....

When you buy of course you need to check the green book against number plate , name, model, color etc.  and chassis number of the bike, and owner details must match all his paperwork etc...

You do not need to go to the DLT in the sellers province. But you need the signed transfer papers and copy of his passport / id card and the green book. Of course you should do at least a few checks on the bike before you pay for it. The best is to go with the seller to the DLT and pay once the transfer is done.

15 hours ago, Joinaman said:

But do i need to go to the DLT with the seller in his province to do anything, or do i just get him to sign and get copies of his passport, etc, which i then take to my local DLT, along with my paperwork ?

No, but if you experience any problems with the papers when you are back in your province and after you have paid already, it might be difficult to correct such issues, depending on the seller of course.

Thus the best option is to do the transfer together with the seller and hand the money over when the DLT gives you the OK regarding the papers. The problem as a foreigner is of course that usually the DLT wants a certificate of residence from immigration in the same province. (I've seen a few contrary reports where a COR from another province was accepted, but usually they won't).

1 hour ago, papa al said:

LTO

Land Transport Office

The official name is Department of Land Transport (DLT), as can be seen on their website: https://www.dlt.go.th/en/

Each province has a Department of Land Transport.

Some DLT  have branch offices, 

with the head office and

official inspection station designated 

LTO.

In a recent transaction,

papa had to go to a branch, pay money,

then Land Transport Office & station, pay money,

back to first branch, 55baht more.

55 baht.  5 5    Like they laughing at falang.

Varies by province.

5 5

Edited by papa al
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

No, but if you experience any problems with the papers when you are back in your province and after you have paid already, it might be difficult to correct such issues, depending on the seller of course.

Thus the best option is to do the transfer together with the seller and hand the money over when the DLT gives you the OK regarding the papers. The problem as a foreigner is of course that usually the DLT wants a certificate of residence from immigration in the same province. (I've seen a few contrary reports where a COR from another province was accepted, but usually they won't).

The official name is Department of Land Transport (DLT), as can be seen on their website: https://www.dlt.go.th/en/

i note the problems with the certificate, and due to the last certificate i needed took almost 8 weeks to get with 8 visits, would it be much easier if i put the book in my missus name ?

Im happy to have her name in the book, have signed my other paperwork on the other bikes and car ready for if, and when i pop my clogs 

I guess she would just need copy of ID card and house book ?

Would it be better if i go to the sellers DLT office with seller, get the paperwork and bike checked out,, if ok, do a bank transfer,  and then do the book transfer in my own province at my leisure ?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated  

30 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

I guess she would just need copy of ID card and house book ?

I think it has to be the original ID card and copy of house book.

29 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

Would it be better if i go to the sellers DLT office with seller, get the paperwork and bike checked out,, if ok, do a bank transfer,  and then do the book transfer in my own province at my leisure ?

Thais can do the transfer at any DLT, so you could just do the transfer in your wife's name while you are there already. This also saves you the province transfer fee, the fee for a new plate and a trip to "your" DLT.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I think it has to be the original ID card and copy of house book.

Thais can do the transfer at any DLT, so you could just do the transfer in your wife's name while you are there already. This also saves you the province transfer fee, the fee for a new plate and a trip to "your" DLT.

would be so much easier then to do this

Thanks for your help