Driving in Thailand

Ondral

I love living in Thailand, and I love Thai people, but I can say without prejudice that Thais are the worst drivers I have ever encountered. I have had my car for just one year and already three drivers have driven into my car, twice when my car was parked, like last night. In 25 years of driving in the USA I was only hit once. Let's do some math: that works out to be 75 times more likely to be in traffic accidents in Thailand than in the USA. Just my personal experience; your mileage may vary. And aren't security cameras great? I can't get enough of this video.  Has anyone had similar experiences or am I cursed?  I think this driver was thinking about running off but fortunately my neighbors across the street came out to confront him.  Again, I love Thai people, but wow are they terrible drivers.

• Thanks 1

Looks like a possibly drunk driver, or maybe they classified at as microsleep, he bounced off of the object near the road edge just before careening into the left rear of the OP's vehicle.  Looks like the OP's car is parked properly, maybe a little close to the road, but then I have seen people just park at the curb here. Maybe time to place a few bollards at the road edge and on the corner of the property line if your going to park there.  That will stop them cold.

6 minutes ago, Ondral said:

The back of my car was two meters away from the road.  Please don't libel me.  I know where I live, you don't.

It must have been projecting out into the road, how else would the other vehicle have hit it? It's further out than the neighbor's car by a good 3 metres., and the post next to it is at the mid-point of the car.

It's not libel to state facts.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 2

Just now, Lacessit said:

It must have been projecting out into the road, how else would the other vehicle have hit it? It's further out than the neighbor's car by a good 3 metres., and the post next to it is at the mid-point of the car.

It's not libel to state facts.

One........ it is difficult to see the margin of the road

Two......even if the car were sticking out no half decent driver would have failed to notice.

My guess the driver was drunk or on his/her mobile......let's face it....they just don't care.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ondral said:

I can say without prejudice that Thais are the worst drivers I have ever encountered.

. . l 

In 25 years of driving in the USA I was only hit once.

A:  but you sound to be full of this prejudice!  So why are you claiming to be without it? 

B:  you should have tried London or Paris!  Far more knocks on my cars there than here.

btw: the two of the three  serious crashes that I have been directly involved in (over many decades) were both caused by US drivers driving somewhat recklessly in LA (but that maybe does not count as the USA in this context?:-). 

1 hour ago, Ondral said:

The back of my car was two meters away from the road.  Please don't libel me.  I know where I live, you don't.

I am not sure how long you have been in Thailand but many see some dark humour in the fact that 2 meters is no where near far enough off the road to ensure your stationary vehicle's safety. Just to add, that you actually consider the comments that have been  proffered as libel, is, in it's self, just down right bloody funny!! Sorry Mate but yes, the % of bad drivers here is undoubtedly disproportionate to most other countries. There are worse however, few and far between.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Ondral said:

You are not stating facts.  Both insurance company representatives, the police officer, and the driver of the truck, all agreed that the driver of the truck was 100% responsible.  Why do want to defend a drunk driver so much?  Have you actually come to my house and measured the distance between the back of my car and the road?  No, of course not.

I'm not defending a drunk driver. I am pointing out you did not set the bar of your expectations of Thai drivers low enough, whereas your neighbor quite obviously did.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1