U.S., staying in WHO, to join COVID vaccine push for poor nations - Fauci

snoop1130

3 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Do tell, is that what happens to military retirees who receive earned medical benefits around the globe. Plenty of American retirees in Ethiopia are there?

So only certain countries for your plan? Just make it Thailand only cuz you live there.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, ExpatOK said:

All that ended January 20th.

That is obvious  with Biden in charge all his appointments are throwbacks from the Obama days who I voted twice but what a disappointment. Everyone is expecting same old same old, which includes Nato members again not paying their share.

As for Thailand puppet Chan is already jumping for joy! 

• Like 1

The COVAX project is not running smoothly so far. Some reasons for this are discussed in a Nature editorial

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00044-9. As noted (quote) 'In the middle of a pandemic, perhaps it was too much to expect countries to prioritize a collective scheme over securing their own supplies'. 

While many countries (190 are mentioned with 92 as potential receivers, https://www.who.int/news/item/18-12-2020-covax-announces-additional-deals-to-access-promising-covid-19-vaccine-candidates-plans-global-rollout-starting-q1-2021

have joined COVAX is is often unclear what their actual  contribution is (lots of 'pledges' which is different from actual payment) and financial contributions fall far short of what is required (though the US joining might help). Canada has discussed donation vaccines to COVAX 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-vaccines-covax-exc/exclusive-canada-in-talks-to-donate-extra-covid-19-vaccine-shots-to-poorer-countries-sources-idUSKBN27Y2UU?edition-redirect=uk

for some time  but this has not happened so far  https://www.kamloopsthisweek.com/covid-19-vaccines-canadians-torn-between-helping-the-world-and-helping-themselves-1.24269566

3 hours ago, Searat7 said:

China needs to pay fair share, not the paltry amount they paid in the past. Also I am not Impressed with leader of WHO as he was obviously in bed with China and am not sure if he is a medical doctor....would not hurt to replace him. 

head of WHO has very impressive credentials...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tedros_Adhanom#Global_health_initiatives

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

It is those rich countries who will pay for the poor country vaccines.

If you destroy the economy of the well managed and responsible nations how do you expect them to help those less developed and worse managed?

Maybe if poor countries not build palaces and  armies they have money for vaccine?

There is though a sad fact about pandemics. If there is not a global effort to deal with them, they will come back again and again. So if you use the fact, and I agree it is a fact, that some of the leaders of some developing countries build palaces and armies instead of their countries, to deny those countries access to vaccines, then those locations become the petrie dishes for the viruses/bateria to mutate and return in a new pandemic.

So if you don't want the economies of rich and well-run Western countries to be shut down again and again and again, better get with the global vaccine program.

14 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

This Fauci  is a real piece of work. He was with Trump 95% of the time. Now that we have a new president he says Trump is bad and Biden is good. He will turn on anyone that is not in power just to get his face in the press. Yes China needs to pay big time, but will Biden presser them, I thing not. It takes a smart country like Australia to pressure China. And they are paying the price. As far as WHO goes, they should have had answers to the virus a long time ago and what are they doing in China now. Trying to find answers to something that is impossible to find now?

Such nonsense. Early on, Trump cut him out and he was forbidden to speak freely.

How exactly is Biden going to get China to pay?

Trump couldn't even get them to live up to their end of the deal buying stuff from America.

How exactly was Australia pressuring China? They criticized China, but did nothing material. Rather it's China pressuring Australia by refusing to buy its coal, even though that has meant considerable discomfort for many Chinese enduring winter weather.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

59 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

You question really has nothing to do with the thread being discussed!  There is really no reason for the U.S. to be paying this amount. Questions do you think China payment of 40 million is enough?  Do you think China should be giving back to the world 16 trillion lost economic from their pandemic or should the world continue to kiss their butts for what they have done?

Yea, why I said I was curious. As a student of history, I make all kinds of connections. The flat tax and all countries not having an equal contribution ... whether it be Covid vaccine payment or NATO contributions, I see as related. I approach things as an academic exercise in discussion. Keeps the “Old Timers” at bay ...

Edited by onthedarkside
off topic comment removed
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

push for a vaccine while they cannot control covid in their home country

A push for vaccine is not mutually exclusive from attempting to put measures in place to try to gain some modicum of control after the mamoth stuff ups by the former administration.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, John Drake said:

I am not asking for the Thais to put me in front of their own citizens, although I would guess Thais in the US are not being asked to return to Thailand and are getting a free vaccination from the US government. What I am asking is for our embassy to step up and protect the interest of American citizens in Thailand. Provide facilities (it doesn't need to be done on embassy grounds) where American funded vaccine shots can be given to American citizens.

I feel confident that these vaccines will become accessible to all at all public health facilities here in Thailand once they are distributed.I also think it will be at a fair price compared to private hospitals.

9 hours ago, John Drake said:

That is speculation. When? What hospitals? The embassy told us in its email to follow the rules for Thai vaccination procedures. What are those rules for Americans? Most everyone on these fora have said Americans and other expats will and should be last in line behind any Thais getting the vaccine. Will that actually be the case?

What is speculation is the suggestion that Americans and other expats will be somehow discriminated against in any Thai national vaccination scheme.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Here we go. Freebies all round. Welcome back Dems.

So the poor are disposable and unworthy of treatment and prevention ?

True empathy from the self entitled 

Sounds  like collateral damage.

Edited by RJRS1301
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

So the poor are disposable and unworthy of treatment and prevention ?

True empathy from the self entitled 

Sounds  like collateral damage.

Sure because if we inoculate everyone in our country but allow the virus to run rampant in the poor countries it would never make it back to our country after our vaccinations wear out. 

You can't talk sense with these people my friend , if they had any they would not be posting  the things they are. They would cut their nose off to spite their face. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

Sure because if we inoculate everyone in our country but allow the virus to run rampant in the poor countries it would never make it back to our country after our vaccinations wear out. 

You can't talk sense with these people my friend , if they had any they would not be posting  the things they are. They would cut their nose off to spite their face. 

Likely those whining about humanitarian support would also be anti government / anti vax 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Here we go. Freebies all round. Welcome back Dems.

How many trillions of dollars were spent on Covid due to trump's incompetence with managing the spread? BTW trump's 'America First' was a strategic failure.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sirineou said:

The internet always attracts strong Cluster B personality types (apart from the totally lunatic) and that is what you are reacting to,my friend.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

The internet always attracts strong Cluster B personality types (apart from the totally lunatic) and that is what you are reacting to,my friend.

Good thing I am not attracted to the internet. I like girls!! :tongue:LOL

I will admit , though I have heard of the personality clusters , I did not remember what they were, so I google it.  And interestingly enough Cluster B personality type did indeed describe some of the perplexing reactions I get when arguing with some of these people. 

When I counter an argument with facts and links to the sources that support the facts instead of getting a "Fair enough" they simply ignore it, and move on to something else. 

Which leads me to wonder if there is something physically different in the structure of the brains  of conservative minds.I did not call it wrong, because that would make an arguable value judgment. 

I remember watching a  talk on the subject   where it suggested that by looking at differences in the brain structure one could  predict with a frequency of 71,6% who would be conservative or progressive. 

I will not pursue the  subject any further as not to derail this thread,  Perhaps I will start a thread after a research it a bit. If interested watch the video I attached also as a link not to distract from the thread. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI-un8rHP14&t=386s