Denied Bus / Train Travel Bkk

Pla Simon

7 minutes ago, Suphawk said:

To bad my photos upload to the cloud immediately, I would report this to every news agency that will listen

He recalled the photo on iphone, I have a copy, but am unsure of libel laws here. I had a thought to send to Richard Barrow, but don't use social media - I prefer anonymity.

Also, I'm not sure this has been announced by the govr, and I missed it.

7 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Did he go direct from quarantine or did he spend a couple of days in Bangkok? Did he show his quarantine docs?

3 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Did they say anything about non-essential travel for instance?

He has all required documentation - 14 days ASQ, 3 negative covid tests, Covid insurance, permission to travel docs and morchana app installed on phone. Nothing on ticket booking website about restricted travel for foreigners.

He was denied at Rangsit Bus Station when he presented his ticket.

5 minutes ago, Pla Simon said:

He has all required documentation - 14 days ASQ, 3 negative covid tests, Covid insurance, permission to travel docs and morchana app installed on phone. Nothing on ticket booking website about restricted travel for foreigners.

He was denied at Rangsit Bus Station when he presented his ticket.

Did he show the other papers though?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Pla Simon said:

Nothing on ticket booking website about restricted travel for foreigners.

Can't say I've seen anything about that either. Only things I've seen that are somewhat relevant is if heading to a place with quarantine for people from red zones, such as Phuket,  you have to go direct from quarantine to the airport (at least one report that the taxi has to be arranged by the quarantine hotel!). Would be interesting to see what the letter he was shown says.

• Haha 1

I am sorry for your experience and I hope you get it sorted out.

But this reminds me of how much this place can lack professionalism and is not in line with modern standards. But then again, I can consider their point as a single stand along country.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

And as far as I know there is no train station in Rangsit. ?

Nor for that matter a bus station in Rangsit.

There is a train station in Rangsit. Only used it once and that was about 25 years ago to catch a train into Bangkok. I thought it would be quicker than jumping onto a bus. Turned out that getting buses was actually quicker. I think it was only a platform. Don't recall a ticketing office or booth.

The Rangsit bus station is about 2 km on the left after passing Future Park. I used to catch buses from there to take me to Mae Sot and Mukdahan. The buses originated from Morchit and would stop at Rangsit to pick up passengers.

3 minutes ago, tebee said:

bus station is north of Future park, on other side of road - shared with a Petrol station.

There's a pick up point for the Nakhon Chai Air buses at a petrol station just passed Tesco Lotus Supermarket. A bit further on is the 'Baw Kaw Saw' bus station for destinations in the North and North-East.

7 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Moving this to General forum as not visa related.

There is no law to this effect. May be a policy of that specific bus company.

I haven't heard of foreigners being unable to take trains. And as far as I know there is no train station in Rangsit. ?

Nor for that matter a bus station in Rangsit. There are intersections where a lot of interprovincial buses stop but not a station with station manager etc. 

There is a bus station in "downtown" Rangsit. I've been there.  The train station is called "Khlong Rangsit". It is about 3 km SW of the Rangsit intersection, on Kamphaengphet 6 Road.

9 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Moving this to General forum as not visa related.

There is no law to this effect. May be a policy of that specific bus company.

I haven't heard of foreigners being unable to take trains. And as far as I know there is no train station in Rangsit. ?

Nor for that matter a bus station in Rangsit. There are intersections where a lot of interprovincial buses stop but not a station with station manager etc. 

8 hours ago, nightfox said:

Why go through Rangsit bus station. Tell your friend to go to Mochit bus terminal which is not to far from Rangsit as he will have no problem getting on one of many buses that go to Surin every day. 

Thanks for your replies.

As far as I am aware there are both bus terminals and train stations in Rangsit area.

He had a Thai with him - they helped him book the ticket and took him to Rangsit bor kor sor in a car- which is where he phoned me from initially. 

He phoned me again from the train station at ban rangsit after bus station debacle, and was denied boarding a train that could have taken him to Ubon.

I told him to goto Mochit, or get a sleeper train from Hua Lamphong, or failing that get a minibus.

Anyway - he's shacked up for the night now, phone off, I have texted him everyones' thoughts here, and will give an update tomorrow.

Cheers.

(I sent this last night - but must not have gone through)

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

The mistake was that your friend booked a ticket with a government owned bus company which do not allow foreigners to board on their buses at this time same as last years lockdown. That bus company is called the Transport company.

There are endless other privet bus companies that are not government owned operating from Mochit bus terminal that go to issan every day as I took a bus from Mochit to Koen Kean last week on Nokonchai air without any issues boarding.

Edited by nightfox
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, nightfox said:

The mistake was that your friend booked a ticket with a government owned bus company which do not allow foreigners to board on their buses at this time same as last years lockdown. That bus company is called the Transport company.

There are endless other privet bus companies that are not government owned operating from Mochit bus terminal that go to issan every day as I took a bus from Mochit to Koen Kean last week on Nokonchai air without any issues boarding.

Thanks for that info - have relayed to friend, as yet still waiting to hear back from him.

So, presumably this applies to train services aswell ?

I find it odd, but perhaps not unusual he was able to book online, with no notice of restricted travel for foreigners.

I very rarely use public transport in this Country.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Morchit 2 - Surin

Sawatdee Surin is the private bus company you want. I believe they are presently offering two trips daily.  Ticket counter on the 3rd floor at Morchit 2.  Another option:  Get whatever bus you can as far as Khorat.  Then switch to a local bus from there. Two routes are available; numbers 274 and 563.  I can not guarantee you will be allowed to board, so best to choose Sawatdee Surin.  To the best of my knowledge there are no Morchit to Surin van services, as the trip is over four hours in length.

Edited by allane
x

I am surprised if foreigners are completely banned from boarding any train in the State railways of Thailand  that we haven't heard of it till now.

State bus we might not hear as most people book with private companies. But surely people have been taking trains?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

I am surprised if foreigners are completely banned from boarding any train in the State railways of Thailand  that we haven't heard of it till now.

State bus we might not hear as most people book with private companies. But surely people have been taking trains?

I am at Hualamphong now.

Been to the ticket office and purchased a ticket to Si Saket.The clerk asked for my passport for identification.

I would have presumed if foreigners not allowed to travel the booking office clerk would not have issued the ticket.

• Like 1