Extension of stay based on Retirement, 800k method, at Chaengwattana, report

I have got a lot of great info and help at this site which helped me prepare for my first extension of stay done on my own at CW today. So, hopefully, this account will help the next person.

I made an online appointment 3 weeks ago for a 3-3:15pm slot today. The booking site is here. Mind that the email confirmation can end up in your spam folder. I arrived at CW at 2:30 and went straight to the counter (office really) L1-32 indicated in the email and stood outside the door with a couple of people already there (should I have gotten a queue number first? I don't know but it didn't matter). The IO was busy and then when she got a break came out and talked to us. She briefly looked at my folder of docs and told me to go to L1-27 for "document check". At L1-27 they looked at my stuff and gave me a few additional docs, mostly regulatory stuff like "I acknowledge there is a penalty for ..., blah, blah." I took these back near L1-32 and sat and filled them out - didn't take more than 5 mins. as it was all enter name, PP number, nationality etc.

The IO called me in at about 3:15, took my bunch of stuff, seemed generally okay with it as she didn't say anything, took my pic with me holding a doc under my chin, did her thing with stamps, collected my 1900b. fee and told me to wait outside. I was in her office about 15mins. After waiting outside 20 mins. another IO who was seated in the same room called me in, made me sign a couple more docs and handed me back my passport and bank book. Done.

Most useful info might be the docs I took with me to CW:

1. Printout of appointment confirmation email.
2. Passport with at least 1-year validity, Non Immigrant O Visa stamped inside, adequate blank pages and original TM.6 departure card and last 90-day Receipt of Notification (the two should always be with the passport).
3. Photocopies of photo page of passport, page showing visa, page showing last extension of stay and page showing last entry date into Thailand.
4. Photocopies of both sides of the TM.6.
5. Photocopy of the 90-day Receipt of Notification.
6. Completed extension of stay form, the TM.7, printed on a SINGLE SHEET front and back. Attach a 4cm x 6cm photo and write your phone number by your signature. TM.7 fillable form is available here.
7. Proof of funds:
NOTE: 800k must be held for 2 months before application, 3 months after, and at least 400k rest of the year.
a. Bank letter (certifying you have account no. xyz with xyz bank holding xyz amount on date xyz).
b. 12 months of bank statements from/certified by the bank.
c  Updated passbook on the day of the application after a token 100b. deposit transaction. Photocopy all pages as well.
NOTE: a, b can be a couple of days before as they may take time to prepare.
NOTE: I got a, b and c done on the same day (today) morning at my local Kbank branch. Apparently, you can get them from the Kbank branch (other banks too) ground floor CW as well.
8. Proof of address: copy of rental agreement and TM.30 Notification from House-Master (applies to renters), copies of utility bills (I had 3BB and AIS) and map/pic of residence (Google maps will do).
9. Application fee of 1,900b.
10. The additional regulatory forms (given me at "document check") are easy to fill so no need to prepare before though I believe they are available online.
NOTE: Sign all photocopy pages in blue ink.

Reentry permit? You can go get one at CW right after the extension of stay is approved but I didn't see the point of doing that today as it's not clear how much of the 1-year validity will be eaten up by the virus. In any case, from my notes what you need for the RE permit are:

1. Same as 2 and 3 above.

2. Completed form, the TM.8, printed on a SINGLE SHEET front and back. Attach a 4cm x 6cm photo and write your phone number by your signature. TM.8 fillable form is available here.

3. Application fee of ฿1,000/single and ฿3,800/multiple.

Why did you provide bank statements.

All I have ever supplied is copy of pages of bankbook along with bank letter and activity on the day of application.

With appointment there is no queue #. Just go straight to L office as indicated on your confirmation email. 

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

All I have ever supplied is copy of pages of bankbook along with bank letter and activity on the day of application.

With appointment there is no queue #. Just go straight to L office as indicated on your confirmation email. 

I rarely update my bank passbook. In fact, there are about 20 entries total since I opened this account in 2018 when I have done hundreds of transactions. So, it wouldn't be  possible for someone to say from just looking at my book if I had the right balances throughout.

The reason I mentioned queue numbers is that a panel outside L1-32 showed queue numbers. Probably something else. I agree it doesn't make sense to give a queue number to someone with a confirmed time slot.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

What 12 months of passbook/Bank statements is required? 

12 months since last application date? 

12 months to renewal date? 

12 months to new application date? 

Hmm, good question. For safety I would say take statements from the date of the previous application all the way to the date of the next application, which period could actually be somewhat less or more than 12 months (because you can apply  up to 45 days in advance of the extension expiry).

And then make sure you're 800k+ for 3 months starting the old app date and 800k+ for 2 months up to the new app date and 400k+ in between.

I did my extension last week at CW.

Fill in the form, copy of passport, bank passbook with copy of entry, letter from bank, done day before as was updated passbook, show map of where u live hand written, rental agreement copy.

Thats it.

No need for 90 day report. No need for bank statements. No need for utilities bills or TM 30.

If u have a confirmed appointment make sure the interviewer knows you waiting outside.

When u arrive they will give you a few other  routine forms to fill in and sign.

OP: I realize you are motivated by helfulness so well done, but you are making a mountain out of a molehill!

Dear oh dear:

Have a nice day!

@ubonjoe is there a specific rule on this? seems a bit vague from what I've read

This

But there is no specific rule for proving it

12 months since last application date? 

It is to prove you kept the 800k baht for 3 months after you applied and then at least 400k baht until you apply for your next extension. It would also be proof you have had 800k baht in the bank for 2 months.

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

My understanding is either is accepted. Its up to whether you want to keep updating bank book regularly showing every single transaction or get and end of year statement for 200THB. I find the statement method a lot more convenient, others don't.

14 hours ago, Why Me said:

I have got a lot of great info and help at this site which helped me prepare for my first extension of stay done on my own at CW today. So, hopefully, this account will help the next person.

I made an online appointment 3 weeks ago for a 3-3:15pm slot today. The booking site is here. Mind that the email confirmation can end up in your spam folder. I arrived at CW at 2:30 and went straight to the counter (office really) L1-32 indicated in the email and stood outside the door with a couple of people already there (should I have gotten a queue number first? I don't know but it didn't matter). The IO was busy and then when she got a break came out and talked to us. She briefly looked at my folder of docs and told me to go to L1-27 for "document check". At L1-27 they looked at my stuff and gave me a few additional docs, mostly regulatory stuff like "I acknowledge there is a penalty for ..., blah, blah." I took these back near L1-32 and sat and filled them out - didn't take more than 5 mins. as it was all enter name, PP number, nationality etc.

The IO called me in at about 3:15, took my bunch of stuff, seemed generally okay with it as she didn't say anything, took my pic with me holding a doc under my chin, did her thing with stamps, collected my 1900b. fee and told me to wait outside. I was in her office about 15mins. After waiting outside 20 mins. another IO who was seated in the same room called me in, made me sign a couple more docs and handed me back my passport and bank book. Done.

Most useful info might be the docs I took with me to CW:

1. Printout of appointment confirmation email.
2. Passport with at least 1-year validity, Non Immigrant O Visa stamped inside, adequate blank pages and original TM.6 departure card and last 90-day Receipt of Notification (the two should always be with the passport).
3. Photocopies of photo page of passport, page showing visa, page showing last extension of stay and page showing last entry date into Thailand.
4. Photocopies of both sides of the TM.6.
6. Completed extension of stay form, the TM.7, printed on a SINGLE SHEET front and back. Attach a 4cm x 6cm photo and write your phone number by your signature. TM.7 fillable form is available here.
7. Proof of funds:
NOTE: 800k must be held for 2 months before application, 3 months after, and at least 400k rest of the year.
a. Bank letter (certifying you have account no. xyz with xyz bank holding xyz amount on date xyz).
b. 12 months of bank statements from/certified by the bank.
c  Updated passbook on the day of the application after a token 100b. deposit transaction. Photocopy all pages as well.
NOTE: a, b can be a couple of days before as they may take time to prepare.
NOTE: I got a, b and c done on the same day (today) morning at my local Kbank branch. Apparently, you can get them from the Kbank branch (other banks too) ground floor CW as well.
8. Proof of address: copy of rental agreement and TM.30 Notification from House-Master (applies to renters), copies of utility bills (I had 3BB and AIS) and map/pic of residence (Google maps will do).
9. Application fee of 1,900b.
10. The additional regulatory forms (given me at "document check") are easy to fill so no need to prepare before though I believe they are available online.
NOTE: Sign all photocopy pages in blue ink.

Reentry permit? You can go get one at CW right after the extension of stay is approved but I didn't see the point of doing that today as it's not clear how much of the 1-year validity will be eaten up by the virus. In any case, from my notes what you need for the RE permit are:

1. Same as 2 and 3 above.

2. Completed form, the TM.8, printed on a SINGLE SHEET front and back. Attach a 4cm x 6cm photo and write your phone number by your signature. TM.8 fillable form is available here.

3. Application fee of ฿1,000/single and ฿3,800/multiple.

Presumably the absence of any reference to the mandatory health insurance requirement means that your original visa was of the non-O variety?

1 hour ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

My understanding is either is accepted. Its up to whether you want to keep updating bank book regularly showing every single transaction or get and end of year statement for 200THB. I find the statement method a lot more convenient, others don't.

With Bkk Bank, and others I believe, if you do not update your bankbook every 20 transactions or once a month, you get a combined entry, which will not show a foreign tansfer, FTT,  if you are using that method.

15 hours ago, Why Me said:

Thank you for the very thorough report.

Just to clarify, were you actually asked for the items in bold above, or did you just volunteer them? I've never been asked for any of those when doing my retirement extensions at CW, though I've always had them in my bag just in case. (The rental contract WAS required for the actual Non-O application, but not for any extensions.)

For those using the monthly transfer method, it is recommended to get a 12-month statement the month before you apply and then a one-month statement for the month of your application..I especially need to do this since the transactions in my bank book are printed out of order and one is printed directly over another.  Using the bank book updating machines is not recommended.   It’s best to get the teller to update your bank book.

41 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

Just to clarify, were you actually asked for the items in bold above, or did you just volunteer them?

The latter. I put all the items listed, a stack of papers, and handed them over to the IO. She was evidently satisfied and didn't ask any questions.

Were all of them required? I am not sure, probably not. But the point is that the lot was easy to prepare: 30 mins. at the bank and 20 mins. at the copier and done.

But what you did in keeping some in reserve in your bag makes sense too.

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

Renewing our retirement has always been a nightmare and it will get even worse with more and more requirements. The next step is to be Covid-free.

Could not be any easier. Stick 800k in dedicated bank a/c and leave it. 

This thread was about CW, so you can make an appointment and obtain bank letter just prior to appointment on lower lever. No bank statements required. Seen exactly on time and walk out the door 40 mins later. Walk in the park.

15 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Could not be any easier. Stick 800k in dedicated bank a/c and leave it. 

Yep, the way to go. I actually have mine in an active saving a/c but keep an eye that it's safely above 800k. Drop below 850k and it's off to Transferwise.

15 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

No bank statements required.

I wouldn't say that, Doc. Not everyone updates their passbook regularly in which case you can't tell from looking if the mins have been complied with. The statement on the other hand is guaranteed to be complete.

13 minutes ago, Why Me said:

I wouldn't say that, Doc. Not everyone updates their passbook regularly in which case you can't tell from looking if the mins have been complied with. The statement on the other hand is guaranteed to be complete.

As per one of the previous posts above, just because you did things a certain way and provided some "stuff" that wasn't require don't be confused. I have done several at CW and NEVER have provided TM30 or 90 day report or bank statements. In fact all the chat about bank statements (for extensions retirement money in bank) is a very recent chit chat.

Did my last in Oct 21 did not  provide items you made sound mandatory.

When posting a report, I suggest just list the required items. Not stuff you provided for 'just in case'

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

As per one of the previous posts above, just because you did things a certain way and provided some "stuff" that wasn't require don't be confused. I have done several at CW and NEVER have provided TM30 or 90 day report or bank statements. In fact all the chat about bank statements (for extensions retirement money in bank) is a very recent chit chat.

Did my last in Oct 21 did not  provide items you made sound mandatory.

Calm down, Doc, we're on the same team. I just listed what I took and what worked. Was all of it mandatory? Never said that and probably not. But it was 10 mins. at the copier the whole lot and better to be overprepared than under.

As for the passbook, I repeat it may not be adequate to prove the balance mins if one doesn't update regularly. If one does then it's probably good. But if you're going to the bank to get the letter anyway then why not generate the whole shebang and be done with it?

15 minutes ago, Why Me said:

Calm down, Doc, we're on the same team. I just listed what I took and what worked. Was all of it mandatory? Never said that and probably not. But it was 10 mins. at the copier the whole lot and better to be overprepared than under.

As for the passbook, I repeat it may not be adequate to prove the balance mins if one doesn't update regularly. If one does then it's probably good. But if you're going to the bank to get the letter anyway then why not generate the whole shebang and be done with it?

I agree, no harm in belt and braces, don't have to give the IO all of it at once, just as requested if at all. How much were the 12 months statements? 

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

I agree, no harm in belt and braces, don't have to give the IO all of it at once, just as requested if at all. How much were the 12 months statements? 

It was 300b. total at KBank, 200b. for the statement and 100b. for the letter if I remember right.

I actually handed over to the IO the whole stack in a plastic folder. She pulled out the lot and zipped through it on her desk. They know exactly what they are looking for so no harm to my mind to let them filter.

But as DrJack54 and others point out, the list in my OP is certainly not mandatory and one could probably get by with lot less. My list was made from gleaning bits and pieces from multiple TV posts over the years, sort of the sum total of what anyone ever took:-) But was easy enough anyway.

21 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Just to stick my oar in, I would never give any documents that aren't required or asked for in any dealing with immigration, I personally think it's asking for trouble. If there is something unsatisfactory about a document that you weren't asked for, it invites objections.

Always have them with you, as insurance, but don't offer them.

Plus I agree that listing documents not actually required or asked for in a report for a particular immigration office , e.g Chaengwattana is confusing, because specific offices have different requirements, and reports are useful in pointing these out.

I did seven extensions at CW and only provided:

1.bank book updated on day of application (and photocopies of all relevant pages) showing same figure as

2. letter from bank stating amount in account dated day before application

3. copy of passport photo page, visa page, previous extension stamp page, most recent entry page and entry card TM6

4. passport photo for form.

3 minutes ago, Why Me said:

I actually handed over to the IO the whole stack in a plastic folder. She pulled out the lot and zipped through it on her desk. They know exactly what they are looking for so no harm to my mind to let them filter.

Nothing wrong with that, however they seem to have set procedure. My guess they would prefer not to 'zip through'.

I have my docs in the order of what has been my experience in the past. First up they want to see your bank letter and bankbook with photocopies, I have that separated and hand it first up etc

waow , Ive just learn something important that could have caused me a lot of trouble, the 800,000 2 months before the extension date. yes of course I am doing that for years then never under 400,000  for the rest of the same year, it is like that  Since a few years I do not remember when? 

BUT... the 800,000 NOW have to stay 3 months after the extension I missed it completely, NEVER DID IT IN 8 YEARS, i'm affraid a narrow shave for my next extension, morality do not miss to read ans reread Thai visa regularly

46 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

waow , Ive just learn something important that could have caused me a lot of trouble, the 800,000 2 months before the extension date. yes of course I am doing that for years then never under 400,000  for the rest of the same year, it is like that  Since a few years I do not remember when? 

BUT... the 800,000 NOW have to stay 3 months after the extension I missed it completely, NEVER DID IT IN 8 YEARS, i'm affraid a narrow shave for my next extension, morality do not miss to read ans reread Thai visa regularly

The 800k for three months after application is not a new requirement, it was introduced at the same time as the 400k for the rest of the year (a couple of years ago).

Archived