Thailand during covid as tourist

1 hour ago, pt1001 said:

Hey all i just need some info here, is thailand totally closed to tourists? or can i quarantine for 14 days and then head out into the world? so many different rules

not 100% closed but there is a mountain of paper work and expenses you need to go through as well as the 15 night quarantine booking paid in advance. check your local thai embassy website for more info.

You can enter as a tourist (or visa exempt depending on your nationality). 

You will also need to Apply for Certificate of Entry (lots of requirements / Plenty of info on other threads)

You will need to quarantine for 15 nights (lots of info on ASQ in other threads)

The situation in Thailand is fluid at the moment. Due to a recent outbreak many provinces have been ‘locked down’ or rather travel between provinces is restricted to essential movement. What this means is you can travel, you may face road blocks etc and be asked why. 

In most area’s bars are closed. Restaurants are open in some areas and this is changing week by week. 

Up until mid-December with the exception of a ghostly quietness in many areas otherwise congested with tourists it was life as normal, bars etc very quiet. Areas popular with Thai’s were quite normal. 

Mask wearing in malls, 7-11 and most places etc is the norm, temp checks on entry... 

Without another outbreak I suspect life will be back to normal ‘within’ Thailand in a few weeks - but travel into Thailand will still be restricted (CoE required) until the Emergency Decree is lifted and there are quarantine requirements (i.e. when the vaccination program has vaccinated those above 60 and those in high risk groups ) - but that remains to be seen or even discussed at this stage. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You can enter as a tourist (or visa exempt depending on your nationality). 

You will also need to Apply for Certificate of Entry (lots of requirements / Plenty of info on other threads)

You will need to quarantine for 15 nights (lots of info on ASQ in other threads)

The situation in Thailand is fluid at the moment. Due to a recent outbreak many provinces have been ‘locked down’ or rather travel between provinces is restricted to essential movement. What this means is you can travel, you may face road blocks etc and be asked why. 

In most area’s bars are closed. Restaurants are open in some areas and this is changing week by week. 

Up until mid-December with the exception of a ghostly quietness in many areas otherwise congested with tourists it was life as normal, bars etc very quiet. Areas popular with Thai’s were quite normal. 

Mask wearing in malls, 7-11 and most places etc is the norm, temp checks on entry... 

Without another outbreak I suspect life will be back to normal ‘within’ Thailand in a few weeks - but travel into Thailand will still be restricted (CoE required) until the Emergency Decree is lifted and there are quarantine requirements (i.e. when the vaccination program has vaccinated those above 60 and those in high risk groups ) - but that remains to be seen or even discussed at this stage. 

thanks for your response that makes sense, im not looking to come straight away maybe in a month or two and i know how much they like to change the goal posts. Is it still 90 days VOA for uk citizens? a thai friend told me they were looking to up it to 9 months at some point is that the case?

11 hours ago, pt1001 said:

Is it still 90 days VOA for uk citizens?

It never has been.  It's 30 days visa exempt (currently 45 to compensate for quarantine), 60 days with a single entry tourist visa or 90 days with a non-O visa.  The 9 months mentioned probably relates to the Special Tourist Visa which may or may not be available.

39 minutes ago, pt1001 said:

good because id quite like the peace and tranquility haha

At least you'll have a good start locked up in a Hotel Cell on arrival. Only for 15 nights so not that bad. Then when your aloud out everything will be much the same. When J/2 said it was DEAD he means it. Only hope you can find a good hotel open when you get here as you will need it as you'll be spending 90% of you time in their rooms so hope their comfortable. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, davidcraig said:

And when you get to Thailand, you'll probably be attacked by packs of often aggressive stray dogs that seem to have invaded most cities and towns now that Covid-19 restrictions and lockdowns have closed businesses and emptied streets of people.

ill have my 7 11 cheese toasties at the ready bro

14 hours ago, pt1001 said:

good because id quite like the peace and tranquility haha

The problem is finding food.  Most places are closed.  In Chewang Beach, it's just depressing.  Do not enter signs, empty streets, all shops are closed, 99% of small restaurants.  Hotels have strange hours for meals, and sometimes have to let them know in advance if you are going to have dinner there, or they will be closed. 

Personally, I also like peace and tranquility.  But this is very depressing.  No fun.

10 hours ago, davidcraig said:

And when you get to Thailand, you'll probably be attacked by packs of often aggressive stray dogs that seem to have invaded most cities and towns now that Covid-19 restrictions and lockdowns have closed businesses and emptied streets of people.

Yeah, it's gotten really bad.  They are roaming everywhere, getting into fights, pooping everywhere, etc.  Some look really bad.

4 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Yeah, it's gotten really bad.  They are roaming everywhere, getting into fights, pooping everywhere, etc.  Some look really bad.

Really?  How are they in Pattaya?  I've run into some pretty aggressive packs of dogs on some out of the way soi's in Pattaya on occasion.  The didn't seem to have any fear of me at all and it was kind of scary.  If you tried to kick them away it only made them more aggressive.

Edited by shdmn

10 hours ago, davidcraig said:

Oh no.... You’ve mentioned Soi-dogs....   This thread is now going to be a ‘dog-whistle’ to the wannabe alpha-rock-star who claims he can stare down a pack of aggressive soi dog because they can recognise the Alpha !!!....   These bar-stool ex-special forces tool always crack me up on this forum !!!  

• Haha 2

Take a risk of coming to Thailand for a holiday yep 14 days quaranteen then holiday and then, Oh i cannot get back home no flights they have closed the boarders of your homeland a recipie for Financial disaster..

Stay home it is safer until Herd Immunity is done with a Vaccine..

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Just remember, Samui, Phuket and Pattaya are ghost towns.  I mean dead and depressing.  With most businesses closed. 

Hell, now you've done it, the patron saints of the above mentioned islands & towns will be along forthwith to espouse how vibrant they are if only you knew where to go/ look without offering the smallest titbit of a clue ????????????????

• Haha 1

Just now, Golden Triangle said:

Hell, now you've done it, the patron saints of the above mentioned islands & towns will be along forthwith to espouse how vibrant they are if only you knew where to go/ look without offering the smallest titbit of a clue ????????????????

Actually, they've been putting up pics showing what a ghost town it is.  But in all these areas, there are SMALL pockets where things are kinda, sorta, still happening.  Kinda....sorta....but overall, true ghost towns.

I was in Had Rin beach on KPN not long ago.  Wow...total ghost town.  I don't think any hotels are now open on Thong Nai Pan Yai.  None.

• Like 1

After your 15 nights quarantine don't forget depending on the province you travel too, as a couple of us who have just completed ASQ and traveled to separate provinces discovered, you could be required to undergo a further 14 days home quarantine. This is despite the TAT website listing this as not required in the province.

Prior to leaving ASQ you are required to list an address you will travel to. This is listed on your certificate of ASQ completion. It appears behind the scene this information is forwarded to the medical authorities near the address you list. A follow up team then makes contact soon after your arrival.

8 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

The problem is finding food.  Most places are closed.  In Chewang Beach, it's just depressing.  Do not enter signs, empty streets, all shops are closed, 99% of small restaurants.  Hotels have strange hours for meals, and sometimes have to let them know in advance if you are going to have dinner there, or they will be closed. 

Personally, I also like peace and tranquility.  But this is very depressing.  No fun.

Seems like the most busy place atm is fisherman village by the looks of various YouTubers living on Samui. 

The videos from Chaweng and Lamai are truly depressing to watch. 

A bit of life in Choeng Mon and Mae nam, but not much. 

Been to Samui 11 times if my memory serves me right, and I fear that returning next time will be a very different experience compared to the past.

Atm I'm watching a vlogger that used to do Samui, but moved to KP for a few months, and the situation looks just as bad there. 

But I think KP actually would be a better place to visit during these crazy times If you can find open places.

Some of the beautiful places like Thong nai pan noi must be lovely to visit if you can find a place that is open. 

You said Yai are mostly closed.

Noi the same?