Thailand can expect 4-5% growth this year, says Finance Minister

webfact

1 hour ago, Kf6vci said:

I'd like some Kool-Aid, too

They must be not only drinking the Durian flavored kool-aid but injecting it just like the man who injected himself with magic mushroom tea.......I think the circulation to the brains of these folks is getting cut off by the wearing of a too small shirt with a tight collar and tie.

• Haha 1

Grow this year compared to what ?

If the expected growth in 2021 is compared to 2020 then 4% seems a reasonable prediction. 

Most nations world wide will likely see growth compared to 2020, unless of course the world also remains locked down for the majority of 2021.

It was reported that the US saw something in the region of 30% growth in the 3rd quarter of 2020, not really that difficult if the comparison is with only the second quarter. 

As with all reports such as this the fundamental facts are brushed aside for some golden-bull<deleted>tery and T*£d polishing.... 

• Confused 1

On 1/22/2021 at 6:50 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Grow this year compared to what ?

If the expected growth in 2021 is compared to 2020 then 4% seems a reasonable prediction. 

Most nations world wide will likely see growth compared to 2020, unless of course the world also remains locked down for the majority of 2021.

It was reported that the US saw something in the region of 30% growth in the 3rd quarter of 2020, not really that difficult if the comparison is with only the second quarter. 

As with all reports such as this the fundamental facts are brushed aside for some golden-bull<deleted>tery and T*£d polishing.... 

Growth is measured against previous year. There are few causes for optimism that 4% is achievable. Thailand 2nd largest trade partner is China and their economic turnaround has been quite remarkable  after successfully containing the pandemic. US under Biden will support global trade and benefit Thailand export. The ASEAN trading partners have also more or less managed the pandemic well. Then there is the vaccine positive effort on hospitality and leisure industry. I can see some improvement in business sentiment in my contacts with the export companies. Let's hope this will be the year that the world can recover from the pandemic. ????

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

Growth is measured against previous year. There are few causes for optimism that 4% is achievable. Thailand 2nd largest trade partner is China and their economic turnaround has been quite remarkable  after successfully containing the pandemic. US under Biden will support global trade and benefit Thailand export. The ASEAN trading partners have also more or less managed the pandemic well. Then there is the vaccine positive effort on hospitality and leisure industry. I can see some improvement in business sentiment in my contacts with the export companies. Let's hope this will be the year that the world can recover from the pandemic. ????

Eric I genuinely hope Thailand (like the rest of the world) can recover from this pandemic. 

I am a little less optimistic than you for two reasons;

1) I always take Chinese economic data with a large dose of salt. Pretty much all the official data from China is apporved by CCP before its made public. Its neither transparent nor scrutible. But i think Biden will be more global and less protectionist than the lame duck al orange, who has just vacated the white house. 

2) Whilst the vaccine will make things way better, the tourists themselves simply won't have large amounts of money to spend on overseas holidays, combined with many governments are pushing for domestic tourism (just like Thailand) and i think in Europe espeically, staycations this year will be what most people can afford or risk. I am also waiting to see how effective this vaccine is against different strains in the longer term. Influenze provides different versions of itself every year, which is why at risk groups (immune compromised, old and frail) etc require yearly vaccinations as influenza adapts and evolves very quickly. If Covid follows as similar evolutionary pathway to influenza  (and recent data suggests it is fairly good at evolving) then that opens up a new tin of worms. We get vaccinated, but next year the vaccine is ineffective Then what? 

But I hope we can recover quickly from this pandemic - there are too many people suffering economic hardships both in Thailand and globally. 

10 hours ago, RichardColeman said:
19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not if 20% of your GDP is tourism !

I think you are mixing things up. 

Tourism in 2020 will not have accounted for much of Thailands GDP.  In 2020 tourism pretty much ended in March. 

All 2021 needs is an ‘open Thailand’ for the second half of the year to see a significant increase in the money brought in from tourism - thus growth on the previous year.

The prediction is not so much about the growth in the economy but the difference from a year with very little tourist to a predication that Thailand will see improved tourism numbers in 2021. 

Economic growth measured against a year of significant loss is always going to be an extremely flawed statistic. 

If growth were to be predicted against the past 10 year average, negative growth will most likely be the prediction. 

Thus, all this claim of 4-5% growth is simply polishing a negative reality that as far as Thailands economy is concerned while this year maybe better than the last it certainly won’t be better than previous years.