US ambassador to Thailand resigns

webfact

I would expect that the next Ambassador will come from the Foreign Service within the Department of State.

Ambassador DeSombre did a good job as far as I am aware. He is, as they say, an old Asian hand. I do not remember any incidents, minor or major.

I think that only the biggies: Court of St. James for example, get political appointments?

I suspect there will be ore 'friction' going foward, as it pertains to human rights, trafficking and politcal protests.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

......  Did not see a Photo of the President or of the Ambassador up in a location where most Government offices would place them, might have been a tell tell sign I guess of the changes occurring.

Yes indeed big changes coming....

Good observation ThailandRyan and this confirmed by a Swiss who loves the US of America.

2 hours ago, Silurian said:

Thank God. I personally met the man and he's a little bit of a jerk. The Thai people that I talk to said that he's comes across as arrogant.

Sean O'Neill (US Consul-General for Chiang Mai) is a really nice bloke. 
P.S. I'm an Aussie.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Too early for them to have the photos of President Biden and VP Harris. Good work there to remove the photos of the disgraced previous administration right away.

Don't be so harsh, better check into why photos of Biden and Harris are not yet up on the board.

• Like 1

Too early for them to have the photos of President Biden and VP Harris.

They weren't born yesterday nor elected yesterday. Pics should have been swapped out at the same time the oath was taken.

He is 

In fact he's been the head of Republicans abroad internationally. 

A pure political appointee by disgraced ex President trump.

I certainly hope President Biden  accepts his resignation and replaces him with a career diplomat. Thailand is important enough to deserve that.

The resignations are all completed and held on file, awaiting a date to be added.

I would have expected that framed photographs of Biden and Harris would have been sent out at least on 6th Jan ready to be displayed in all overseas posts.

Edited by RJRS1301
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, gzu88bv said:

Don't be so harsh, better check into why photos of Biden and Harris are not yet up on the board.

Huh?!? What are you on about?

I never said the new portraits should be up already!

I assume they haven't even been taken yet!

• Haha 1

The thing to remember is all the issues that TRUMP has deserved or not wer with people left over from Obama  After working in government and in the military i can tellyou that not having the President and VP pics is a gaffe.  Those should have been sent out long ago by the state department.  It is the practice if possible to get the photos up the same day there is a change.  Obviously you can not do it the day after an election but they have had lots of time.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I don't think it's usually that quick.

It should be. There is no practical reason why not; especially in the case of the USA given the delay between voting and inauguration. Not doing so could be interpreted as a snub to the incoming incumbent (regardless of who that person may be, and the country in question).

14 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

After working in government and in the military i can tellyou that not having the President and VP pics is a gaffe.  Those should have been sent out long ago by the state department. 

There might have been some confusion over whether the election was valid.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Salerno said:

It should be. There is no practical reason why not; especially in the case of the USA given the delay between voting and inauguration. Not doing so could be interpreted as a snub to the incoming incumbent (regardless of who that person may be, and the country in question).

I don’t think you're correct. I assume the portraits aren't even created before inauguration. Of course they could be but that doesn't mean that they are. I could be wrong. Let's not make a Federal case out of it.

• Haha 1