US ambassador to Thailand resigns

webfact

15 hours ago, Silurian said:

Thank God. I personally met the man and he's a little bit of a jerk. The Thai people that I talk to said that he's comes across as arrogant.

Arrogant??? You missed loud and full of himself like all yanks

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

Keeping in mind that The Donald is a Big Mac munching 74 y.o. fatso, chances are that he will already be dead in 4 years. Otherwise still in prison, would be my guess.

Not to mention there is a real chance his impeachment trial will result in a conviction this time. All it would take is Mitch to say do it. Then after that a simple majority of the senate would ban him from all public offices, from dog catcher to president. 

• Like 1

Good riddance! The US embassy does nothing to assist US citizens. They stopped giving letters of income for expats when if they simply did a little research such as verifying social security and pension payments--which could be easily done using the internet. I've dealt with them several times and they're jobs seem to be  charging fees for their services whether or not their services help. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Deli said:

He is more than right. Working with Biden and his 2nd would make me leave as well.

Freel free to check out anytime.Florida and it’s most infamous resident calls for you

Edited by RJRS1301
  • Like 1

Trump placed an incredibly low priority on foreign policy, and even less on Asia policy. There were countless jobs at the state department that were unfilled up to the end. And his pick as SOS showed how little he cared about foreign policy. Pompeo was truly a bottom of the barrel guy. 

I expect Biden to be infinitely more competent. He has alresdy picked more talent in 6 weeks than Trump picked in his 4 sorry years. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

So many people are of the flawed opinions that their Embassy is solely there to serve the people of its nationality in foreign countries - that is not quite true. Thats just one of the minor duties of an Embassy or Consulate. 

The real mission of the Embassies world wide is as a ‘country liaison’ for security, business and trade. To foster relationships, maintain lines of communication for trade, economics and law. 

I sometimes read the comments on this forum and wonder what is going through of some when displaying the sense of entitlement that just because they are from x nationality their Embassy is exists to protect them.

Some countries do defend their citizens abroad. Take, for example, China. Remember when the Thai Immigration officer at one of the airports slapped a Chinese man misbehaving? And Thai authorities immediately groveled and put on a special thank you show for arriving Chinese tourists? And it's not only in Thailand. China protects the interests of its citizens wherever they go. And gets results. Iron fist in a velvet glove. Nobody respects American expats, because other countries have begun to disrespect America. And once that happens, all your trade, business, and legal ties begin to wither. Just as they are doing right now for the US.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Nobody respects American expats, because other countries have begun to disrespect America. And once that happens, all your trade, business, and legal ties begin to wither. Just as they are doing right now for the US.

The American administration has worked very efficiently at earning that disrespect, especially over the past four years

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

So many people are of the flawed opinions that their Embassy is solely there to serve the people of its nationality in foreign countries - that is not quite true. Thats just one of the minor duties of an Embassy or Consulate. 

The real mission of the Embassies world wide is as a ‘country liaison’ for security, business and trade. To foster relationships, maintain lines of communication for trade, economics and law. 

I sometimes read the comments on this forum and wonder what is going through of some when displaying the sense of entitlement that just because they are from x nationality their Embassy is exists to protect them.

I slightly disagree with your second paragraph. It should be: The real mission of the Embassies world wide is to act as a cover for their spies to further their country's interests and undermine the security, business and trade of their host nations.

Edited by JerseytoBKK
  • Sad 1

On 1/22/2021 at 8:45 AM, Schlepenstein said:

If he's a Trump guy, good riddance.

Not being an American, I know nothing about Trump except he seems to be very unpopular with the vast majority of American people.

That would make the unelected "PM" and Trump a perfect match.

On 1/22/2021 at 7:43 AM, ThailandRyan said:

It will only be a matter of time before all of the appointee's made by the prior Administration will be replaced, or as many have done already resigning with a new career diplomat being put in place to assist with Bidens Agendas and wishes.  I was at the US Embassy yesterday for a few notarizations on some documents.  Did not see a Photo of the President or of the Ambassador up in a location where most Government offices would place them, might have been a tell tell sign I guess of the changes occurring.

Trump has probably never even heard of Thailands unelected "PM" as he is a PM in name only having bullied his way into power backed by his soldiers.

Edited by possum1931

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Not being an American, I know nothing about Trump except he seems to be very unpopular with the vast majority of American people.

That would make the unelected "PM" and Trump a perfect match.

Unpopular with the vast majority of American guys on Thaivisa, maybe; in the US he got about half of the vote, 70 million I heard, the second highest total in American history. This dichotomy is at the heart of the problem. It's not like he's some outlier.

1 minute ago, nausea said:

Unpopular with the vast majority of American guys on Thaivisa, maybe; in the US he got about half of the vote, 70 million I heard, the second highest total in American history. This dichotomy is at the heart of the problem. It's not like he's some outlier.

Yes, I was only going by what I read in Thaivisa. So he actually is popular in America then?

5 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Yes, I was only going by what I read in Thaivisa. So he actually is popular in America then?

Not popular enough to win either the popular or electoral college votes. He never enjoyed majority popularity even back in 2016. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, nausea said:

Ah no not a dichotomy at all, more people voted in this election than in 2016 for both candidates

Trump got about 74 million and got about 81 million, so that is the popular vote and the elctoral college votes Biden beat trump by about 70 votes I think it was.

Easy peasy, no fraud, not dichotomy he lost the election.

13 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Not on mainstream media. I, personally, have little time for Trump, he's a scammer in my book; but aren't all politicians, dismissing half of the population as irrelevant is a bit strong.

Edited by nausea
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, nausea said:

Not on mainstream media. I, personally, have little time for Trump, he's a scammer in my book; but, you know, dismissing half of the population as irrelevant  is a bit strong.

Half the population was NOT dismissed as irrelevant at all, trump did not garner enough votes to win, same as 2016 Clinton garnered more votes,(constituients) but did not get enough EC votes to carry her.

That is the system

In democracies, some candidates loose and some win, trump lost in both popular vote and EC votes.

It ain't rocket science

Edited by RJRS1301

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Thanks, I know nothing about American politics, but I have never heard or read of anyone saying anything good about Trump, and as for Thailands unelected "PM" there has only been the odd deluded poster here who objects to anything negative about him.

1american on 2 willtell you good things about him .... for me , I dont likr this man, I just look results: Obama had peace nobel price and put America in 3 wars in middle east ????. Trump administration stopped it , I suppose american are happy. Since 40 years all american presidents try to sign accords between Israle and arabic countries : he did ! , unemployment fell 2% before covid .....many facts ....even if I dont like his personnality.

Mr Prayut never smile and speek long time in the TV , he comes from a coup .....but now he is elected with 8.4 millions votes and other parties who believe in him, manage well covid since 1 year (fact). Now polls are very high for him because majority of people  dont want chaos in this country .Even majority who start to manifest for "some" change in the laws  coz they dont agree violence that the last hundreds people for "democracy" (disorder= some are the same in 2014) use.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, berton said:

1american on 2 willtell you good things about him .... for me , I dont likr this man, I just look results: Obama had peace nobel price and put America in 3 wars in middle east ????. Trump administration stopped it , I suppose american are happy. Since 40 years all american presidents try to sign accords between Israle and arabic countries : he did ! , unemployment fell 2% before covid .....many facts ....even if I dont like his personnality.

Mr Prayut never smile and speek long time in the TV , he comes from a coup .....but now he is elected with 8.4 millions votes and other parties who believe in him, manage well covid since 1 year (fact). Now polls are very high for him because majority of people  dont want chaos in this country .Even majority who start to manifest for "some" change in the laws  coz they dont agree violence that the last hundreds people for "democracy" (disorder= some are the same in 2014) use.

"but now he is elected with 8.4 millions votes" are you saying that 8.4 million Thai people voted for this so called "PM"???? As far as I know, nobody ever voted for him except his soldiers or certain people who want in his "government" with him.

He started a coup in 2016, then a rigged election in 2019, then voted in as present unelected "PM" by his own generals etc.

• Like 1