Question for the Techies.

Tanoshi

My internet provider is True.

I pay for the 300/100 download upload service.

I recently had issues with the internet, which resulted in a technician visiting my home.

After he finished, I did a speed test resulting in 124/100, far from the 300 speed I pay for.

I'm told by True that's because I'm using wi-fi and not a ethernet cable.

Indeed if I connect an ethernet cable from the router I obtain the 300 download speed.

I did a little internet research which did not agree with the information given by True.

The router is approx 10' away from my PC, but in an adjacent room, although it's open plan (no doors in-between).

I asked a local techie who stated in his opinion the wi-fi output from the router was at fault.

What kind of drop should you expect when using wi-fi as opposed to an ethernet cable.

300 down to 124 seems excessive.

It's not my PC, I get the same speed results using my new 5G phone.

Are True trying to make excuses, or am I expecting to much.

Opinions appreciated.

you asked 1 techie? try asking 10 and you might get 10 answers... 

you want the ethernet speed w/a cable - then get a cable.. True cannot possibly have a separate answer for every user depending on where they are at the moment and how many walls and doors away from the wifi they are... 

good luck.

• Thanks 2

WiFi speeds depend on several factors.  Just do an internet search for "improve home WiFi speed" and you should quickly find several suggestions that are not so technically complicated.  You may need to run a program which will identify the WiFi channels that are already in use by neighboring networks so that you can avoid using them.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

You may need to run a program which will identify the WiFi channels that are already in use by neighboring networks so that you can avoid using them.

The technician did that and ensured I was on the best channel.

21 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

you want the ethernet speed w/a cable - then get a cable.. True cannot possibly have a separate answer for every user depending on where they are at the moment and how many walls and doors away from the wifi they are... 

Well thanks, however for those who are not techies when an internet provider offers a service you expect what you pay for. They never said you only get 300 download with an ethernet cable, had they done so I would have had the router fitted in a more convenient location to my PC.

I can have my PC directly held at the router and still get 124 download on wi-fi, so any obstructions are not the issue here.

10 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

I always find I get faster Internet when PC is connected  to router

by RJ45 cable than WiFi, you never get the speed you pay for,especially

when you connect overseas.

regards worgeordie

Appreciate that, however would you expect over a 50% reduction on wi-fi assuming the router and PC were located together side by side? (300 > 124)

That's the simple question I'm asking.

I don't support the idea of pulling lines throughout an established house. The reason being that cables are fine for "non mobile" devices, while these days most devices don't even have an RJ45 socket. And, had I cabled my house when it got built, it would have been Cat 6 cables and now I'd be rewiring to Cat 8...

So, my advice would always be to optimise your WIFI, while you can keep your printers, media servers, and possibly one or two desktops wired to your router.

As far as I am concerned I am in the process of selecting a MESH WIFI, that I could upgrade almost instantly if the need arises in a few years time.

Also OP, what are you doing presently that require better speed than124/100? This is perfectly adequate to stream 4K, not sure about 8K but I don't think there is much content to be found yet in that resolution.

So my advice is keep your provider's  router/access point disable its WIFI and plug in one of those MESH systems. Make sure every cable and device supports Cat 8. Enjoy the shopping, look for a MESH that has a dedicated backhaul channel, the AX/AC choice is a bit more difficult. I am likely to go for AC now, as AX is still expensive and these things have a short life expectancy.

Isn't the frequency of your wi-fi an enabler of higher speeds? I have 2.4 Ghz available from the Huawei 3BB router delivering 72 Mbps which is the 'public' wif-fi in the home. I also have a 5 GHz Cisco router delivering 150 Mbps that is exclusive to my wi-fi devices.

Edited by NanLaew

23 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Appreciate that, however would you expect over a 50% reduction on wi-fi assuming the router and PC were located together side by side? (300 > 124)

That's the simple question I'm asking.

If you have a smartphone, install an app that displays your wi-fi environment. The tech said that you on the best channel but that was simply the best channel he observed at that moment. I don't have too many near neighbors but there's a greater amount of wi-fi networks and hot-spots that pop up in the evenings versus day time.

Most entry-level and generic wi-fi routers have a default channel assignment and chances are a lot of neighbors won't be tech savvy and leave it on the default channel setting. So if you have maybe a couple of other TRUE routers radiating, although remote, channel congestion is still possible.

I had the pleasure of using some Aruba commercial wi-fi gear that a client had installed on a ship where at any one time there could be over 50 people accessing wi-fi over 6 deck levels. These had automatic channel congestion sensing and channel-hopping so I was interested in acquiring one but at over 800 bucks, I thought it a bit of overkill for my home.

I also use True Internet 5G. I just did a speed check and got 225.84 Download and 218.99 Upload. 

If you use a VPN it drops right down. to single or low double digits.

Edited by KhunKenAP
wording
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

My internet provider is True.

I pay for the 300/100 download upload service.

I recently had issues with the internet, which resulted in a technician visiting my home.

After he finished, I did a speed test resulting in 124/100, far from the 300 speed I pay for.

I'm told by True that's because I'm using wi-fi and not a ethernet cable.

Indeed if I connect an ethernet cable from the router I obtain the 300 download speed.

I did a little internet research which did not agree with the information given by True.

The router is approx 10' away from my PC, but in an adjacent room, although it's open plan (no doors in-between).

I asked a local techie who stated in his opinion the wi-fi output from the router was at fault.

What kind of drop should you expect when using wi-fi as opposed to an ethernet cable.

300 down to 124 seems excessive.

It's not my PC, I get the same speed results using my new 5G phone.

Are True trying to make excuses, or am I expecting to much.

Opinions appreciated.

Possibly you are using 2.4 GHz Wifi, which tops out at around 100 mbps. If you have 5GHz, you should be able to reach up to maybe 500-600 mbps. If your computer supports it (router if you got it in last few years should) - switch to 5 GHz and your speed should increase dramatically.

If not, you can buy a 5GHz USB3.0 wifi adapter for your computer, but note that most of these will max out at around 300 mbps. So built-in 5GHz in your computer is preferred.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Well thanks, however for those who are not techies when an internet provider offers a service you expect what you pay for. They never said you only get 300 download with an ethernet cable, had they done so I would have had the router fitted in a more convenient location to my PC.

I can have my PC directly held at the router and still get 124 download on wi-fi, so any obstructions are not the issue here.

Then why don't you invite True to come back and move it? My True router is right above my computer desk and I use a LAN cable. It is definitely much faster. I've just run a test for your benefit. On Wi-Fi is was 81Mbps. When I switched back to Ethernet it was 240Mbps. No contest!

22 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

So my advice is keep your provider's  router/access point disable its WIFI and plug in one of those MESH systems. Make sure every cable and device supports Cat 8. Enjoy the shopping, look for a MESH that has a dedicated backhaul channel, the AX/AC choice is a bit more difficult. I am likely to go for AC now, as AX is still expensive and these things have a short life expectancy.

Foreign language to a non techie   ????

4 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Then why don't you invite True to come back and move it? My True router is right above my computer desk and I use a LAN cable. It is definitely much faster. I've just run a test for your benefit. On Wi-Fi is was 81Mbps. When I switched back to Ethernet it was 240Mbps. No contest!

Perhaps the OP does not understand WiFi speeds are governed by the number of people sharing it at any particular point in time. If he wants to be on the internet at 3 am in the morning, he will probably get what is advertised. OTOH, at 9 am or 7 pm there are a lot of people on the system. You get what you pay for.

29 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

I don't support the idea of pulling lines throughout an established house. The reason being that cables are fine for "non mobile" devices, while these days most devices don't even have an RJ45 socket. And, had I cabled my house when it got built, it would have been Cat 6 cables and now I'd be rewiring to Cat 8...

So, my advice would always be to optimise your WIFI, while you can keep your printers, media servers, and possibly one or two desktops wired to your router.

As far as I am concerned I am in the process of selecting a MESH WIFI, that I could upgrade almost instantly if the need arises in a few years time.

Also OP, what are you doing presently that require better speed than124/100? This is perfectly adequate to stream 4K, not sure about 8K but I don't think there is much content to be found yet in that resolution.

Sounds interesting.

Mesh

AX

AC

5 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:
26 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

5 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Foreign language to a non techie   ????

Foreign language to me and I am a retired techie! Keep it simple. Move the router, plug in a LAN cable. Job done. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lacessit said:
12 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

10 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Perhaps the OP does not understand WiFi speeds are governed by the number of people sharing it at any particular point in time. If he wants to be on the internet at 3 am in the morning, he will probably get what is advertised. OTOH, at 9 am or 7 pm there are a lot of people on the system. You get what you pay for.

That is, of course a valid point, put I don't think that it is that significant. However, in the interests of science I have just switched off my two mobile devices and rerun the speed test. Wi-fi went up from 81Mbps to 85Mbps. Still no contest.

18 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I understand that.

I get same speed at 3am in the morning.

32 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Possibly you are using 2.4 GHz Wifi, which tops out at around 100 mbps. If you have 5GHz, you should be able to reach up to maybe 500-600 mbps. If your computer supports it (router if you got it in last few years should) - switch to 5 GHz and your speed should increase dramatically.

If not, you can buy a 5GHz USB3.0 wifi adapter for your computer, but note that most of these will max out at around 300 mbps. So built-in 5GHz in your computer is preferred.

Yes, this.  Also, if you live in a condo speeds can be affected by the building's internal cabling.  A smallish drop in speed can be expected.

Edited by fondue zoo

33 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

I think this is the real issue.

A friend suggested the old router probably requires updating.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

They expect you to do some own research. Usually they deliver to the router what happens after (WIFI) is not their problem. Though their router or your computer might not be the best. I have removed my 3bb router for a far more expensive one and it improved both my wifi as lan. 

It could also be your computer that is not good enough.

3 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

I think this is the real issue.

A friend suggested the old router probably requires updating.

Problem might be that you cannot replace your router easy. You are not a techie.

I am and i replaced it (in a way) put the router of 3BB in bridge mode, ran a cable to my new 8000bt asus router and then cables to my computers and wifi is fast too. But both my computers and router have the right hardware.

If you just have a good router your computer can be the weak point and a good computer then the router is the weak point.

But if you can and are willing to spend get a new router but only if you know someone who can help you install it.

2 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

I understand that.

I get same speed at 3am in the morning.

I guess that WiFi channel has a few night owls.

If I go to the average coffee shop with WiFi here, download speed is reasonable. Go to any McDonalds, it's abysmal. I have TrueMove in the village, CAT at the condo. Both wired connections. Pay for 200 Mbps, get 200 Mbps.

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I guess that WiFi channel has a few night owls.

If I go to the average coffee shop with WiFi here, download speed is reasonable. Go to any McDonalds, it's abysmal. I have TrueMove in the village, CAT at the condo. Both wired connections. Pay for 200 Mbps, get 200 Mbps.

But are we not talking about a guys own home WIFE. He decides how many devices use it (by using a password). 

You can of course overcrowd your own WIFI but it does not happen that often. Its more often a signal thing / hardware issue.

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

But are we not talking about a guys own home WIFE. He decides how many devices use it (by using a password). 

You can of course overcrowd your own WIFI but it does not happen that often. Its more often a signal thing / hardware issue.

From what I am reading on this thread from people far more knowledgeable than me, possibly it's the age of his computer or router that is the issue.

Depends on whether his system is password protected, I used to piggyback on other people's systems in a condo when I was too lazy to go down to the lobby for the free WiFi there.

Edited by Lacessit

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

From what I am reading on this thread from people far more knowledgeable than me, possibly it's the age of his computer or router that is the issue.

Yes that is what I am saying too.. some WIFI cards in computers are old and can't go fast. Some of the routers supplied are old too. 

So its a matter of figuring out what is the limiting factor.

I hear people talking about an usb3 dongle for network. That is ok but who says his computer has usb3 if its a lower usb version the speed will be lower too.