'High doses of Vitamin C cannot prevent Covid-19'

webfact

vit c is recommended for any viral infection, including common flu.

Early symptoms of covid are lack of appetite, digestive problems, loss or change of smell and taste (which would lower food intake).

During an infection body needs increased level of vitamins and nutrients. An infection do develop over many days in nose and throat, even before immune system reacts and before any symptoms appear.

The problem is, that large part of people don't eat healthy diet. Not only they don't care about nutrients, eating junk, processed food, but also they can't afford to buy variety of foods, including fresh fruits and vegetables. Some people never eat any fresh foods, only cooked, fried. As vit c is destroyed by heat, they have deficiency.

vid D deficiency is also common in bangkok with office workers. I remember research done some 5 years ago quoting 90% were below proper levels. They do sit all they between walls. When outside they shade themselves from the sun with umbrellas, long sleeve clothing, sunblocks. They might have darker skin genetically, but it's not suntan

On 1/23/2021 at 6:00 AM, Blumpie said:

Vitamin D is highly suggested if you don't get a lot of sun and live in a northerly climate.  It is the ONE thing that I take in the winter only because I live in a northerly climate.

Too much vitamin D is terrible for you.  Just remember to follow a doctors advice and for god's sake don't overdo it.  Things go from good for you to terrible for your entire body when you OD on it and it's very easy to do with these vitamins.  

I take 1,000 to 2,000 iu per day dependent on the amount of sunshine and taper off towards when the sun gets stronger.  

Does it cure COVID?  No.  Could it help if you have it?  Maybe.  Don't believe it will because it's just rumour and there is no confirmed scientific evidence on it.  

Does it prevent COVID?  Absolutely not.  

Again, if you need vitamin C why not just eat an apple?  It's much better for you than taking supplements, cheaper, and much easier.  

The reason people take a suppliment say Vit C is becuase you would have to consume too many  natural fruits that the sugar content would have adverse effect from drinking/eating that many oranges ect.

LOL there is also a Ministry of Truth in Thailand! I thought that only in the US and Europe did these anti-fake news teams exist!

Guy, Fake News is the media slogan to encapsulate everything that the prevailing dogmatic ideology does not like.

Edited by zhounan

On 1/22/2021 at 8:10 PM, Blumpie said:

In other words, just eat a well balanced diet.  You shouldn't have to worry about supplements unless something is seriously wrong, or if you live in a northern climate.  

Does it look like all those overweight  expats in Pattaya eat well balanced meal/ I used to never eat fish, veggies or much fruit when I was in USA ,East coast. Now I eat fish at least 3 times a weeek, more fruit  and veggies that I never even knew of till I came over here. Still take some Vitamins if I don't get regular ballanced meals every day.

On 1/22/2021 at 8:10 PM, Blumpie said:

In other words, just eat a well balanced diet.  You shouldn't have to worry about supplements unless something is seriously wrong, or if you live in a northern climate.  

As far as Vitamin D is concerned research has shown this isn't really true particularly among people that are dark skinned, elderly, obese, etc. Vitamin D deficiency is very common. 

42% of Americans Are Vitamin D Deficient. Are You Among Them? (cantonmercy.org)

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, internationalism said:

The problem is, that large part of people don't eat healthy diet. Not only they don't care about nutrients, eating junk, processed food, but also they can't afford to buy variety of foods, including fresh fruits and vegetables. Some people never eat any fresh foods, only cooked, fried. As vit c is destroyed by heat, they have deficiency.

Those are primarily the people who are croaking.  Obesity has a huge effect on how you battle the virus.  

On 1/22/2021 at 8:48 PM, Jingthing said:

Forget C.

Look into D.

There is indeed a strong correlation between Covid-19 severe cases and deaths and Vitamin D deficiency.

No guarantees but to me it seems like common sense to make sure you're getting enough D either from sunlight or supplements. 

https://www.stack.com/a/vitamin-ds-unknown-qualities