Outdoor burning ban announced as air quality worsens in Thailand

webfact

They burn the sugar cane so that they can harvest it easily by hand.  They were burning last night.  Maybe nobody told them.  The sugar cane factories have a set limit of 20% burnt sugar cane.  Although I doubt that this is enforced.

12 minutes ago, CraigInBangkok said:

Yep .. I get this most evenings when I go to pick the wife up from work. Quite amazing really, its 2021 and even in Bangers they are still burning plastic 

snap you don't want to know what they are doing on this side of the tracks then. past 8 mile. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

This is not a seasonal inconvenience. This is a national emergency, and is getting worse each season. This administration has shown time and again, that they are not the slightest bit serious about the ban on burning. How many sugar cane farmers are being arrested, or facing significant fines for burning. They do it openly, with no fear of repercussions, all the while they are literally tearing down the quality of life for millions, nationwide. Callous, unwilling to do what is right for the people, taking short cuts, and unwilling to put in the hard work of clearing the fields. 

Here are my suggestions, if these incompetents want to be taken seriously. 

1. Fine the farmers 5,000 baht for a first offense, and give them a stern warning, that burning is now prohibited, and the second fine will be very harsh.
2. For a second offense, fine the farmer 100,000 baht, and warn them that if the burning continues, their land will be confiscated.
3. On the 3rd offense, confiscate their land. Period. No questions. No legal proceeding or appeals on the part of the farmers. Allow others to come in and purchase the land at a fair price, with the caveat that sugar is prohibited as a crop to be grown on that land.
The news would travel faster than the toxic smoke, and farmers would change their ways overnight, and move into the 21st century.

Then they can move on to tackle the sale of diesel vehicles, and the government's enthusiastic support of such. It is inane in this day and age. Most nations are moving away from diesel for good reasons. When they are not well maintained, they foul the air, with large, nasty particles. And who properly maintains their vehicle here?

I'm with you, really I am. If only things were so simple.

Notwithstanding the effects of air pollution from neighbouring countries, which is severe in itself and seems to be beyond the influence of Thailand, there are also real considerations from the farmers' points of view that have to be taken into account. There are ways to get around this, but it is not so easy. I recommend to everyone that it is worth reading up on what it means to the farmers to stop burning. Regarding sugar cane particularly, the article below explains this well:

https://southeastasiaglobe.com/thailand-sugarcane-burning/

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1