Outdoor burning ban announced as air quality worsens in Thailand

webfact

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Outdoor burning ban announced as air quality worsens

c76c6b9ee3eb0c73264ce5c51d894c66_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Center for Air Pollution Mitigation has asked all provinces to ban outdoor burning from now until 23rd January, while the air quality index in Bangkok has reached the code-red unhealthy level in several areas.

The Pollution Control Department’s Director General Athapol Charoenchansa, confirmed the amount of PM 2.5 airborne particulate matter had reached the red unhealthy level in five precincts of the Bangkok metropolitan area.

The unhealthy air quality readings were recorded today by air quality sensors near Kanchanaphisek road in Bang Khun Thian district; in Khlong Sam Wa district; by Phet Kasem 81 or Ma Charoen road in Nong Khaem district; in Bang Sao Thong subdistrict of Samut Prakan, and Mahachai subdistrict of Samut Sakhon.

The Center for Air Pollution Mitigation has coordinated with all provinces to prevent outdoor burning activities on 20-23 January to reduce smoke emissions, as the low pressure system prevailing over Thailand at this time promotes the accumulation of airborne dust.

The Minister of Natural Resources and the Environment, Varawut Silpa-archa said today the air quality crisis in Bangkok is not the result of the accumulation of PM 2.5 particles alone, but PM 10 and smoke from burning activities as well.

He has advised the general public to wear a mask at all times to protect themselves from the pollution and help with COVID-19 prevention, and to avoid going outdoors until the situation improves.

Schools, many of which are still closed due to the new wave of COVID-19 cases, may consider postponing their reopening date should the air quality remain poor, while farmers are encouraged to use their farm waste as fuel or sell it instead of burning it off, in an effort to reduce smoke emissions from burning.

nnt.jpg

And now it affects Bangkok they want to do somthing. It is red in Chiang Mai for 3 months of the year for many years but what do the government do, absolutly nothing 

• Haha 1

Which of course, as we have experienced year after year after year, the burning will continue unabated and those in charge of enforcement will wring their hands and mumble the same mealy-mouth BS they do each and every year - "What can we do.  We can't catch the arsonists.  Blah, blah blah blah blah. Ad-infinitum..."

• Like 2

Here!  It's this simply.

The burning happens every year, you can plan on it, you can even identify those engaged in the burning.  The Thai government will do absolutely nothing but add to the noxious hot air. 
End of story.
Close the thread.  Why even bother adding to the hot air.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The increase in pollution is increasing throughout Thailand to worrying levels, now this statement convinces me more and more that nothing will be done to contain pollution in Thailand for the next few years and no serious action will be taken therefore every day that passes the Thailand becomes less and less attractive until important repatriation decisions have to be made or to another more welcoming country if all this continues to worsen each year, the limit of tolerance of this galloping pollution is not infinite.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Elkski said:

I'm so glad I bought that 10 million baht condo.   Only an idiot with a deathwish would retire to Thailand year round. 

10 million baht for a condo in Thailand? Wow. Must have gold plated wallpaper and a private rooftop garden and pool.

I would think anyone spending that kind of money on a concert box in the air here would be the idiot. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Timwin said:

Chiang Mai digital nomads and other expats must be really enjoying their quality of life now! ????

Oh no! The foreigners keep trying to convince us that they love living in the smog and made the correct decision living there????????????????????????????????????????

• Haha 2

Although 160-180 AQI is bad, Bangkok tonight is over 600 AQI.

If you go to https://www.ventusky.com/?p=12.92;100.90;7&l=pm25&t=20210122/1800

and click on air quality, you'll see Bangkok has the worst air quality in all of Thailand. It seems to me Bangkok factories are generating far more air pollution than the garbage and rice field burning.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

Clear, blue skies and a lovely sea breeze here in Phuket. ???? 

103 AQI presently in Phuket. Nothing to brag about but most certainly the south is far better than the rest of the country.????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Banana7 said:

and click on air quality, you'll see Bangkok has the worst air quality in all of Thailand. It seems to me Bangkok factories are generating far more air pollution than the garbage and rice field burning.

Nope that's wrong. If it were true why does it only happen during peak burning season?  

• Like 1

Wow!  Ban Burning....what a wonderful, healthy concept; now how about supporting it with some heavy enforcement & steep fines!  Air pollution shortens everyone's life, even the farmers who continue to pollute annually at will!

17 hours ago, madmitch said:

Why is it that the Government and provincial governors are so quick to take decisive, often over the top actions in their efforts to stop the spread of Covid yet are so reluctant and slow to deal with the lung-threatening burning that occurs year after year?

Stop burning for three days, then start again? Pathetic!

Exactly. I was wondering why they didn't ban alcohol and closed parks and beaches to avoid air pollution... ????

5 hours ago, Banana7 said:

II believe the Ventusky.com measurement/display is bogus: Try these two sites - they are much more believable:

http://aqicn.org/city/bangkok/

https://www.iqair.com/thailand/bangkok/khlong-toei

I was out one day with my portable tester and when next to a vendor's charcoal brazier the wind shifted the smoke direction my way and my test PM2.5 reading immediately went to 800. I know this is anecdotal and not to be given any weight at all by some.

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Venom said:

103 AQI presently in Phuket. Nothing to brag about but most certainly the south is far better than the rest of the country.????

I guess that depends on which air quality site you read, where their sensors are and how dodgy they are. Yes, there are higher readings in built up, traffic clogged hotspots like Chalong Circle. However, on the coast and on the beaches the air is clear, the sky is blue and there is a lovely fresh sea breeze.