Thai police don't know the law, admits RTP chief

webfact

21 minutes ago, Benmart said:

You obviously have never served as a "USA cop" and perhaps only know what you see on the telley or news. Educate yourself so as not to appear clueless of the bigger picture of the world of law enforcement.

Serve as a us cop? I've had experience of them. Asked one in Chicago for directions and was told 'don't talk to me, I'm on duty'

A more agressive lot I've yet to meet especially city cops.

RCMP were quite pleasant and helpful.

UK beat cops probably the easiest to approach and ask for directions etc.

• Like 1

It appears to be the norm in Thailand that few people receive proper training for the job. After all, that costs money and produces no short-term financial gain. Many are just told to get on with it and learn on the job. And that might go some way to explaining why some immigration officials, for example, make demands that another officer might not. They aren't being deliberately obstructive. They just don't know the answer. And good luck trying to get a Thai to admit they don't know something!

6 hours ago, overherebc said:

I have always thought that perhaps a system where some officers could spend time with the UK police and actually go on patrol foot/car etc,  bring back and pass on the experience.

I certainly wouldn't advise USA cops as examples.

Colonisation maybe?

Too much work one would think !

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Wait a minute, then what happened to all of the RTP officers the US Department of State trained through various Law Enforcement agencies in the US who came here on a contract and taught them.  Did they sleep through the classes.  I know that my former agency sent people over here to train them, however they do not use any of the tactics we taught them.  Wonder if the same happens for the military that trains with the US soldiers during Cobra Gold.  Use it only during training and then forget it afterwards.....

I suppose we would have to know what your agency guys were teaching them and was it in English or Thai. Tactics doesn't sound like they were being taught how to keep up with laws regarding traffic offences or being aware of situations ( domestic ) that may end up with violence or death.

Edited by overherebc

8 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Apparently so, My friend was here some years ago doing a officers training coarse and he failed half of them, and he was told he was not allowed to fail anyone, you can guess the rest

Same goes for teachers, this is one of the most complained about 'features of the Thai education system, and likely accounts for the fact that many Thais come out of the education system (at one level or another), unable to add 2 numbers together without a calculator.

My own limited experience with the RTP is absolutely consistent with them knowing nothing about the law and precious little about anything else. Then my (Thai) wife reminded me that Thai policemen are not there to apply the law, but to generate revenue for their seniors.

A purge is definitely required. The sooner the better.

Edited by Glaswegian2

41 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I suppose we would have to know what your agency guys were teaching them and was it in English or Thai. Tactics doesn't sound like they were being taught how to keep up with laws regarding traffic offences or being aware of situations ( domestic ) that may end up with violence or death.

Taught in Thai as there were a few of us who can speak the language.  Plenty of those attending could speak fairly decent English as well. Traffic enforcement, Traffic stops, Officer Safety tactics, Traffic control ingress and egress.

Edited by ThailandRyan

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Taught in Thai as there were a few of us who can speak the language.  Plenty of those attending could speak fairly decent English as well. Traffic enforcement, Traffic stops, Officer Safety tactics, Traffic control ingress and egress.

Traffic stops.?? You mean lets stop everybody on the road and hope we find one or two who might not have insurance or road tax. Means delaying the majority who are perfectly legal going about their legal business. Can't say I've ever seen one in UK. Just seems a lazy way of doing your job.

Training police to recognise the signs of drunk/impaired driving might might be a better idea. Or actually having police cars on the road stopping speeders or dangerous drivers might have a better effect. On motorways here you don't even need to chase them. Just radio the car description to the following tollbooths and get them there.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Wait a minute, then what happened to all of the RTP officers the US Department of State trained through various Law Enforcement agencies in the US who came here on a contract and taught them.  Did they sleep through the classes.  I know that my former agency sent people over here to train them, however they do not use any of the tactics we taught them.  Wonder if the same happens for the military that trains with the US soldiers during Cobra Gold.  Use it only during training and then forget it afterwards.....

Pure genius to have figured that out. What was your agency Ryan?

9 hours ago, overherebc said:

Traffic stops.?? You mean lets stop everybody on the road and hope we find one or two who might not have insurance or road tax. Means delaying the majority who are perfectly legal going about their legal business. Can't say I've ever seen one in UK. Just seems a lazy way of doing your job.

Training police to recognise the signs of drunk/impaired driving might might be a better idea. Or actually having police cars on the road stopping speeders or dangerous drivers might have a better effect. On motorways here you don't even need to chase them. Just radio the car description to the following tollbooths and get them there.

Traffic enforcement includes observing signs of a driver driving while impaired and arresting them for Drunk or drugged driving before they kill someone or are involved in an accident.  It is not just about enforcing the other minor laws.  You need to have probable cause to stop a vehicle, unlike the forced roadside choke checkpoints where they stop all of the cars here.  Stopping speeding drivers or slow drivers is also part of traffic enforcement.  The RTP is supposed to enforce all of the laws that DLT and the Government has for driving a motor vehicle be it a car, a truck or a motorbike.  Radioing a toll both ahead to stop the vehicle is always an option but if the driver is driving reckless then you have the potential for catastrophic accidents and deaths like they do here on the tollways.  Take a look outside of the box you have described and you might see the bigger picture, or maybe your just against law enforcement in all aspects.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

They didn't forget. They shoot if the opportunity arises. ????

Truly classic stuff. One has to give him credit for such an admission. But, he has admitted what most of us already knew. I do consider most police here to be franchisees, and not people who are engaging in law enforcement. Of course there are exceptions. Some Thais are just exceptional people, and the cream rises to the top, thankfully. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, overherebc said:

For a start, traffic cops don't sit in the office all day. They're on the roads all day. Cops on the beat don't sit in the office all day, they're out on the beat.

Motorway patrol cops have to pass an exam on the RTA before they go out on patrol.

Cops on the beat?? Where is this? I have not seen any police on the beat since I was a little boy.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Ireland32 said:

I know a Lt.Colonel I have to explain to him all the time , he’s a friend 

A Lt.colonel in the police force?? More interested in their fancy ranks which are probably paid for, than knowing

anything about the law.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Where Thai bashing is rampant, a little bit of balance to any debate is no bad thing, but please don't let me stop the usual  knee jerk reactions. 

Make sure you hug a few everyday...provide that balance!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Happyman567 said:

He is probably hoping that will happen. Full pay do nothing It does suite many of them

I understand that if you are "inactive" then you are not included in the byzantine system for sharing out the "informal cash revenues" generated by the forces routine activities. That is the real punishment.

I understand that it operates in a similar way to Naval "Prize Money" did in the Napoleonic times.

Then, if a warship captured another vessel, it was sold as a"prize". The admiral commanding the squadron got 10% or so, the captain of the victorious ship got 50%, the other officers shared 20% and the rest of the crew shared the remaining 20%. Much the same methodology applies. I'll bet they fully understand that "law"!