Extension (income based) - Credit Advice Slips again (Chaeng Wattana)

Did my renewal at CW yesterday and, following my experience last year where the credit advice slips I'd paid for (as a 12 sheet batch ordered from Bangkok Bank) weren't asked for, I didn't bother getting them this time.  Surprise, surprise the IO said that next year I would also need to bring Credit Advice slips!  I'm not sure if this is a policy change and it will be something they require from next year or (more likely) just another example of the lack of consistency not only between offices but also between IO's with some making stuff up as they go along, sometimes I get the feeling they just like you to have to go and get something else for the sake of it.  I'll mostly likely switch to the deposit method next year so will just take the statement and bank book then too unless I see more posts of folks being told to get them, still need to take the statement but at least no need to pi** about with the monthly transfers and being concerned with FTT entries.  Would have done it this year had exchange rates been better, how I wish I'd done it 5 years ago!!

I extended my visa this month , the only change was i had to get a twelve month bank statement  , so they could see if i had kept 

money in three months after my last extension . All done in less than an hour immigration was almost empty .

3 minutes ago, harry94 said:

I extended my visa this month , the only change was i had to get a twelve month bank statement  , so they could see if i had kept 

money in three months after my last extension . All done in less than an hour immigration was almost empty .

Mine also took a short time.  It looks like you are using the deposit method of extension though for which the credit advice slips would not be relevant.  As per the title, the post is a heads up for income based (monthly transfer) extensions.

1 minute ago, SooKee said:

Mine also took a short time.  It looks like you are using the deposit method of extension though for which the credit advice slips would not be relevant.  As per the title, the post is a heads up for income based (monthly transfer) extensions.

Sorry i should be paying more attention ,

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If you could arrange for your transfers to be shown as foreign transfers (FTT at Bangkok Bank) you would not need credit advises.

They were.  Shown clearly as FTT on both the statement and bank book.  Hence my surprise at the "next year also need" comment.  Trouble is you never know if it's a new local requirement that they haven't communicated or just the ramblings of a lone IO.  I suspect the latter.

I went to the trouble and expense of getting them last year as I couldn't satisfy myself I didn't need them.  Again FTT shown in both the statement and bank book, kept the credit advice wad of papers in my bag.  The IO didn't ask for them.  Sod's law this year I didn't take them and was asked to bring them next year.  

6 minutes ago, SooKee said:

They were.  Shown clearly as FTT on both the statement and bank book.  Hence my surprise at the "next year also need" comment.  Trouble is you never know if it's a new local requirement that they haven't communicated or just the ramblings of a lone IO.  I suspect the latter.

You are probably correct about what the officer said.

I have only needed my bank book and statements showing FTT and foreign transfers for two extensions I have done since the that has been needed after 11 years of using income proof from the embassy.

The good part is not having to make a annual trek to the embassy in Bangkok every year for the proof.

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You are probably correct about what the officer said.

I have only needed my bank book and statements showing FTT and foreign transfers for two extensions I have done since the that has been needed after 11 years of using income proof from the embassy.

The good part is not having to make a annual trek to the embassy in Bangkok every year for the proof.

Yes I think so too.  I'm certainly not going to get them for next year.  Used to do my affidavits by post so no trek for me but it saves having to pay THB 2,500 for it!  The edge gets taken off a little bit by having to now do a trek out to Muang Thong Thani to get a bloody Cert of Residence which I would have arrived too late for yesterday.  Or wait and hope they move it back to CW ASAP from Thailand's answer to Chernobyl.  Only bonus with getting it now is DLT have suspended the need to sit through the video to renew a 5 year DL ????

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you could arrange for your transfers to be shown as foreign transfers (FTT at Bangkok Bank) you would not need credit advises.

The same as above for (SCB, Siam Commercial Bank shown as IFT) 

It is I think wise to always get credit advices for incoming foreign transfers and save them. If gotten within say a month of receipt, it is usually free.

Aside from visa issues, mine came in very handy when I filed for refund of the Thai tax withheld on my bank interest. Unlike many posters who had an  easy process, I was subject to extended repeated cross-examinations by the Provincial Tax people as to my source of income (they seemed convinced I must be working in Thailand, had never heard of a retirement extension etc). It was only upon providing them with a huge stack of credit advices proving I brought my money in from abroad did they back off. And they copied each and every one for their files.

Might also come in handy if in future you need to transfer a large sum out of the country.

These worked for me at CW, ext stay/ret-inc:

12 Credt Advice Receipts (CAR) (I get these each month, FOC)

CAR Cover/summary letter, usually a few days before my appintment, 100 baht

Account ownership letter, usually a few days before my appointment, 100 baht

Copies of all passbooks covering the period

Same day passbook B/F

Original passbooks (returned with passport)

3 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Depends what method you use to transfer.

Wire transfer using code the below result in IFT on your bank statement, the funds goes through Bangkok Bank  to SCB usually 24 to 48h from Europe.
Swift Code (BIC) - SICOTHBK XXX - SIAM COMMERCIAL BANK PCL.,

Just now, Scott Tracy said:

Forgive my ignorance. What's a credit advice slip?

Its a document from the  your bank that shows the origin of the funds. Date, Sending Bank, Receiving Bank account, amount, etc. Basically a statement of the transaction.

I ask, as I have done my last renewal in Si Saket and presented statements, bank letter and passbook. I also provided a print out from the tax authorities with regards to UK income. I prepared UK bank statements showing transfer to Transferwise and ran off a copy of each of the transfers to Kasikorn Bank.

I highlighted the 65,000 baht incoming to the Kasikorn Bank on my statements and also on the Transferwise information. As I pay Transferwise from an account other than I get my pensions paid, I ran off those bank statements as well, highlighting the transfers. 

3 minutes ago, spetersen said:

Its a document from the  your bank that shows the origin of the funds. Date, Sending Bank, Receiving Bank account, amount, etc. Basically a statement of the transaction.

Ah, understood. I use Transferwise as described in my last post.  The UK bank statements and Transferwise info would cover those....

14 hours ago, Scott Tracy said:

Ah, understood. I use Transferwise as described in my last post.  The UK bank statements and Transferwise info would cover those....

It will all depend on what individual IOs and Immigration offices are prepared to accept.  The problem I think is that there's never been a definitive list of what documents will and will not be acceptable from immigration, just the fact that you need to show 12 months (now 13 it seems!) of international transfers. It does seem that some offices are becoming more pragmatic in terms of what they regard as proof (Transferwise print outs etc) but another office may insist on Thai bank documentation only.  Things were much easier with income affidavits ????

14 hours ago, Scott Tracy said:

You can print a PDF of each transaction with Transferwise. These and 12 month Thai bank statements worked for me last year at Buriram Immigration. A friend went last Friday and they weren't interested in the PDFs !!!

16 hours ago, spetersen said:

Wire transfer using code the below result in IFT on your bank statement, the funds goes through Bangkok Bank  to SCB usually 24 to 48h from Europe.
Swift Code (BIC) - SICOTHBK XXX - SIAM COMMERCIAL BANK PCL.,

When I do a transfer my bank automatically posts a remittance advice to my account. I just downloaded and printed off the advice notes, immigration never even looked at my bank book so code was not an issue. On the statement they show up as "Transfer in via EXIM".

19 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Even easier with 800K funds deposited in a FTD account.

Yeah, but that's hardly relevant here as the topic is clearly about "income based".

The affidavit was easy for some, I preferred it as it was one simple, incontrovertible piece of paper, and worth the $50 to me. I can walk to the Citizens Services building.

Now I've got to assemble quite a bit of documentation and make copies, including some at CW the day of. But I've jumped through these new hoops twice easily - the appointment system is amazing - so no issues here.

6 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

The affidavit was easy for some, I preferred it as it was one simple, incontrovertible piece of paper, and worth the $50 to me. I can walk to the Citizens Services building.

That is true for those that did not have to make a long expensive trip to Bangkok to get it and the $50 for it.

Now it costs me about 400 baht for bank statements and the bank letter. Done it twice now so not complaining.

16 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Your in the minority.

US and Australian nationals had to visit their respective Embassies to submit an affidavit or Statutory declaration.

The British Embassy accepted online applications the the letter, but you had to complete a form and upload all supporting documents as proof of your income.

I think the major change is that for US, UK and Australians, they now have to prove they actually transfer that income into Thailand. Some have now been forced to pay extravagant fees to agents as an alternative.

12 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Your in the minority.

I did say "for some".

12 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

they now have to prove they actually transfer that income into Thailand

Yes, monthly.

Before we were free to transfer money, or withdraw it at an ATM, at our leisure.

Given how easy it has been these two times, and given an option of an affidavit, I'd probably stick with the monthly QFT and documentation route, It's a bit more work, but hardly overwhelming.

36 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

I think the major change is that for US, UK and Australians, they now have to prove they actually transfer that income into Thailand. Some have now been forced to pay extravagant fees to agents as an alternative.

Should that maybe read "Some have now chosen to pay extravagant fees to agents as an alternative"?

52 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

I think the major change is that for US, UK and Australians, they now have to prove they actually transfer that income into Thailand.

It was not a major change for me. In 2019 I could of shown 8 years of transfers going into my bank account but only needed one year.

2 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Even easier with 800K funds deposited in a FTD account.

Yep, definitely easy-peasy for some if the money trees which they are cultivating in their back gardens are bearing fruit in sufficient quantities at the right time.

16 minutes ago, theoldgit said:
53 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

16 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

Should that maybe read "Some have now chosen to pay extravagant fees to agents as an alternative"?

That's not necessarily so  @theoldgit. I was quite happily cruising along using the UK income letter to prove that I had 72,000 THB Gross income and getting my retirement extension was a breeze.

Then came the double whammy of the fall of the GBP and the loose of the income letter. My 'provable' income fell to 59,000 THB. I was ok because I could switch to a married extension, but had I not been married I too would have been 'forced' into the ever open arms of an agent.

And I'm sure many other folks had similar problems.

51 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

No, 'forced' is the correct term.

They made false declarations on their 'affidavits' and 'Stat Decs' and never had the required 65K per month income in the first instance.

Even the British Embassy never checked the completed form of income against the documents you sent as proof.

Archived