Bad Driving is not Confined To Thailand

Pilotman

Do not overtake where you might come into conflict with other road users. For example:

approaching or at a road junction on either side of the road

l knew there was a reason for that rule...????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, seajae said:

It all boils down to the attitude and thinking of the people as well as their education, Thailand is a great place to live but the road users are some of the worst in the world so we just have to allow for that and accept it but that doesnt mean people cant say anything about it.

Spot on! Year after year, no improvement. Hard to have any sympathy for them!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Do not overtake where you might come into conflict with other road users. For example:

approaching or at a road junction on either side of the road

l knew there was a reason for that rule...????

Same same here.

60 m before junctions overtaking forbidden.

Usually a sign and solid yellow line from there.

20 minutes ago, ThaIrish Sean said:

I'm intrigued know, which one do you think is wrong in the Irish clip?

Both the vehicle overtaking as well as the turning red one have their fair share.

From the level of brain damage the driver in the red car leads as he seeming didn't care to look to the left at all.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, ThaIrish Sean said:

Both... But as you had to ask that question I assume you do not have a driving license....????

2 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Australia 5.6 per 100000  Ireland 2.7  Thailand 32.7

I don't see that as a comparison at all on death most of that Thailand figure is small motorbike & scoots, I like to see a breakdown of what vehicles to invaliate better and compare seeing as no training in Thailand as in other countries to be fare.

Another Thai bash thread. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Russia cant be far behind Thailand, they drive like lunatic's here, I did see some YT video's on Russian driving

What about YT videos from your country? Or you are from the moon with zero fatalities?

19 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I don't see that as a comparison at all on death most of that Thailand figure is small motorbike & scoots, I like to see a breakdown of what vehicles to invaliate better and compare seeing as no training in Thailand as in other countries to be fare.

Another rose-coloured specs  post. Surprised it took so long.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jesimps said:
20 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Another rose-coloured specs  post. Surprised it took so long.

Nope.. thats not a ‘rose tinted response’ its a logical response. 74% of Thailands road fatalities are those who died on motorcycles. 

13% of Thailands road deaths are drivers and passengers in 4 wheeled vehicle (percentage from 2010)

That said, the stats are still damning of the 22,000 road deaths (WHO estimate) 13% or 2860 of them are 4 wheeled (or more) vehicles. (data from 2019)

The UK, a similarly sized nation (by population) to Thailand had 736 deaths in 4 wheeled vehicles in 2019.

(data from 2019)

Although the percentage of 4 wheeled deaths is dragged from data recorded in 2010 the percentage us unlikely to have changed dramatically and still gives an idea. 

Thus: data suggest that the Death toll on Thai roads is about 4x that of the UK for occupants of 4 wheeled vehicles.

I would suggest that the majority of those are speeding and primarily DUI.

I would like to see a statistic for ‘day time only’ accidents / deaths as I believe this places the two stats even closer.

I would argue that most accidents in Thailand occur at night, while I for one only drive at night in the city centre and never on the highway at night.

Thus an an assumption based on stats and opinions above could be that for 4 wheeled vehicles Thailands roads could be 2 to 3 times more dangerous than the UK’s roads.

When considering the statistic’s for cars alone Thailand’s stats become less damning. 

Motorcycles - well, thats a completely different - but if you don’t ride at night, or while drunk, always wear a helmet and full kit, never race, ride extremely carefully / maturely etc... the damning nature of the 74% of 24,000 road deaths applies less to you - riding in Thailand is still extremely dangerous, but not quite as dangerous as the raw statistics suggest. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, ThaIrish Sean said:

Obviously the guy pulling out. the van was just over taking on what was, when he started the manoeuvre, a clear road.  

Edited by Pilotman

21 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

road deaths are road deaths, doesn't matter whether it's a car, truck or motor bike. The mentality and lack of respect for road rules and the selfish attitude of Thai drivers is the same. Get out of MY way. Ask a Thai driver the road ruls, and most of the time they can answer the question correctly, BUT once behind the wheel their brain shuts down and the me, me, me attitude kicks in. I've ewven asked some coppers that I know about particular road rules and they've answered correctly, but when I tell them I saw them breaking those particular rules and asked why, they couldn't answer. Their expressions just went blank. Thai drivers see the cops breaking the law, and therefore assume that if they can do it it must be ok, so therefore I can do it too.

2 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

road deaths are road deaths, doesn't matter whether it's a car, truck or motor bike. The mentality and lack of respect for road rules and the selfish attitude of Thai drivers is the same. Get out of MY way. Ask a Thai driver the road ruls, and most of the time they can answer the question correctly, BUT once behind the wheel their brain shuts down and the me, me, me attitude kicks in. I've ewven asked some coppers that I know about particular road rules and they've answered correctly, but when I tell them I saw them breaking those particular rules and asked why, they couldn't answer. Their expressions just went blank. Thai drivers see the cops breaking the law, and therefore assume that if they can do it it must be ok, so therefore I can do it too.

Everything you describe is a facet of lawlessness... 

Ask westerners why they ride a motorcycle while drunk and without a helmet and you’ll likely get the same ‘blank expression... they can’t provide an intelligent answer because they know they are wrong, they may try and justify it with ‘no available taxis’ or ‘its only down the road’ or ‘I ride carefully’ etc etc... 

Ultimately, the only reason we don’t drive at 120kmh on the motorways in the UK is because it would be expensive and we’d lose our licence. We follow the rules because there are effective consequences enforced by effective methods; methods we hate, but they’re effective nonetheless. 

The difference between the videos and Thailand is that admittedly there are bad drivers in every country. But Thailand seems to take it as a challenge to see where the highest percentage of bad drivers live and drive. In neither of the two countries shown in the videos do the drivers consider red lights as only a suggestion like Thai drivers do. 

Edited by Kurtf
  • Like 1

I don't think anyone has said that bad driving is confined to Thailand.

I do think, however, fatalities are higher than in most other countries.

nice to see the White Van man avoid the car by heading towards the rear. Also noted that the van managed to miss the pole on which the camera was mounted.

3 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

Different cultures do different these. 

Try driving in other places in the world. 

• Haha 2

Sorry to say but you have it all wrong!

Thai drivers are among the best in the world and i can prove it.

Any where in the world when drivers encounter some one going tho wrong way in traffic,you all know what i mean,every one would panic and freak out,calling 911 or what ever number you use for that kind of emergency.

They would pull over,honk the horn to try to make the driver aware he is going in against traffic.

In Thailand?Whats the big deal?All part of the job.