Coronary Angiogram and related Coronary Invention

MyThaiYou

Hello there kind folks

I'm told the doctor who performs these procedures is more important than which hospital I choose.  I'm guessing that some experienced doctors may move around between different hospitals.  Therefore does anyone have a Cardiologist they can recommend ? 

Many Thanks

2 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

I had this done at Chonburi govt hospital ,very good doctor ,if you can go there ,not expensive ,its a govt teaching hospital ,you get the same docs as in private hospital at a fraction of the cost.

Thank you.  Do you have the name of the doctor ? 

3 hours ago, MyThaiYou said:

Thank you.  Do you have the name of the doctor ? 

His name was Dr Ponchai,he was the one i had the appointment with ,but he was not the one who operated ,you have to go to the hospital a become a patient ,you then get an appointment ,i was transfered there from Samitivit in Sri Racha ,paid more for a room for one night and a few tests than everything i had done at chonburi ,including the angiogram .

• Like 1

If you want to do this in Hat Yai, the Naradhiwas Rajanagarindra Heart Center at Prince of Songkhla University Hospital (Songklanagarind Hospital) is where to go and is a higher level facility than the hospital Ivor mentions in Chonburi but should cost about the same.

https://hospital.psu.ac.th/

Go through the "after hours clinic"  and try to see one of these senior cardiologists:

Assoc. Prof  Somsong Yipintsoi

Assoc. Prof. Woravut Jintapakorn,

Dr. Noppadol Chamnarnphol

Dr. Treechada Wisaratapong

It is a very large government hospitals and except for the senior doctors, little or no English is spoken. Signs and forms will ber in Thai and there will be a lot of red tape. You should bring a Thai speaker with you the first time to help navigate. Also be prepared for crowds and long waits and need for multiple trips.

If you prefer a private hospital with much more efficiency /convenience I can recommend one in Bangkok with the nation's top Cardiologist but it will cost at least 2-3 times as much.

13 hours ago, Sheryl said:

If you prefer a private hospital with much more efficiency /convenience I can recommend one in Bangkok with the nation's top Cardiologist but it will cost at least 2-3 times as much.

Thank You.  That's very informative.  Hat Yai sounds good on the other hand I have insurance to cover some of the cost and like the idea of efficiency and convenience ???? Who do you recommend in Bangkok ?  Much appreciated 

14 minutes ago, MyThaiYou said:

Thank You.  That's very informative.  Hat Yai sounds good on the other hand I have insurance to cover some of the cost and like the idea of efficiency and convenience ???? Who do you recommend in Bangkok ?  Much appreciated 

No one better in Thailand than Prof. Taworn Suithichaiyakul (sometimes spelled Thaworn). US trained and president of the Thai Heart Association. He can be seen at Bangkok Christian Hospital most mornings and some afternoons.

https://www.bch.in.th/find-doctor/doctor-profile/?smid=4730

02-625-9000, 02- 760-9000

He can also be seen Sunday mornings at Ramkamhaeng hospital though I think BCH will be less expensive https://ram-hosp.co.th/html/specialtyclinic_hearts.html

At BCH usually no appointment is required but it is first come, first serve and should arrive early to get in the the queue. You will need to register first for a patient number.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

At BCH usually no appointment is required but it is first come, first serve and should arrive early to get in the the queue. You will need to register first for a patient number.

Thank you so much for your clear concise information.  You're a star ???? 

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, MyThaiYou said:

Just as a follow up - I did see Dr Taworn and he was most helpful.  Very clear to understand and precise in his prognosis.  A pleasure to deal with.  I did have the angioplasty (1 stent needed) at Bangkok Christian Hospital. Everyone was kind and helpful although it does help to speak some Thai.  Total cost including balloon, stent and 1 night in ICU was 170,000 THB approx. 100,000 THB cheaper than Bangkok Hospital on Sukumvit.  

glad it all went well ,I did not get a stent fitted at Chonburi heart hospital and i spent 3 nights there although only one full day in icu but the total bill including the angioplasty was just under 25k ,if a stent had been put in i believe it was approx 35k extra, i can only say about Chonburi ,but i have had very good service there ,at the moment the doc has signed me off for 3 months ,unless i need to go back ,3 months meds (6sorts) 1590 baht,far less than even the cheapest pharmacy  ie Farcino in Pattaya.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ivor bigun said:

glad it all went well ,I did not get a stent fitted at Chonburi heart hospital and i spent 3 nights there although only one full day in icu but the total bill including the angioplasty was just under 25k ,if a stent had been put in i believe it was approx 35k extra, i can only say about Chonburi ,but i have had very good service there ,at the moment the doc has signed me off for 3 months ,unless i need to go back ,3 months meds (6sorts) 1590 baht,far less than even the cheapest pharmacy  ie Farcino in Pattaya.

I'm pretty sure stent would be more than 35k extra. They are imported and expensive devices.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I'm pretty sure stent would be more than 35k extra. They are imported and expensive devices.

no the doctor quoted me the price a stent is 35k ,I dont know anyone else who has used the hospital ,but the prices i am charged are very reasonable, the other day i was only charged a few hundred baht for seeing the heart doctor ,  there are very few falangs who go there ,but the doctors are from the major hospitals .i cant praise the service  enough ,

my son and wife accompany me ,they are quite articulate and help greatly ,

52 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

no the doctor quoted me the price a stent is 35k ,I dont know anyone else who has used the hospital ,but the prices i am charged are very reasonable, the other day i was only charged a few hundred baht for seeing the heart doctor ,  there are very few falangs who go there ,but the doctors are from the major hospitals .i cant praise the service  enough ,

my son and wife accompany me ,they are quite articulate and help greatly ,

Are you absolutely sure that included the cost of the device as well as of the surgery? Because 35k sounds like the right price for just the surgery.

the device itslef costs far more and is additional to the cost of the operation.

12 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Are you absolutely sure that included the cost of the device as well as of the surgery? Because 35k sounds like the right price for just the surgery.

the device itslef costs far more and is additional to the cost of the operation.

Hi Sheryl

i do realize that you are extremly knowlidgable regarding medical things ,but i can assure you 110% that the prices i have quoted are correct ,my son and i were told the cost of everything ,before i had the angiogram ,it was even written down at the time ,as you see i had the angiogram 15k the cost i was quoted ,but was not suitable for the stent or balloon angioplasty, one thing our son was told one price for all ,no extra for me .,i can only tell you what i have been charged the three times i have been in Chonburi hospital and the times that i have seen the heart doctor ,compare this with one night in Samitivit hospital where i had an x ray and a scan 52k  that is almost as much as everything i have had done at Chonburi.that is 9 nights in all in hospital,one angiogram ,2 x rays a scan an angioplasty ,5 months meds(6 different ones) 3 meetings with heart doc use of oxygen once etc

But then at Samitivit i was charged 27 baht for one 81mg asprin ,also when i left in the morning ,everything in my room ,including stuff ,like soap ,toothbrush ,etc etc which i had not opened were all bagged up and charged to my bill and given to me in a bag . oh yes i was even charged for a pair of slippers that i had not seen or used ,lol

Edited by ivor bigun

51 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

None of those charges involve an imported device. There is always a separate charge for the stent device itself.

correct i did not have a stent fitted ,but at Chonburi hospital the cost for one is 35k ,that is what i was quoted by the doctor and by the office ,this is all i can say ,every other quote i had or charge was as stated ,the fact i included Samitivit was just to show how expensive private hospitals are .

As i said the charge for my angiogram ,3 nights in hospital all other costs at Chonburi was 29k ,a stent was 35 k extra,if i had had one. i wish i had kept the quote and i could have posted it on here , one other thing that really did suprise me was that when my son went to pay the 29 k he was asked if we were paying it all now or some later , i know i am on their books but it really did come as a shock that a falang would be given time to pay>

Edited by ivor bigun