309 new Covid-19 cases reported, most found in Samut Sakhon

webfact

309 new Covid-19 cases reported, most found in Samut Sakhon

By The Nation

image.png

The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) on Friday reported 309 new cases over the past 24 hours, including 12 people who flew in from abroad.

Of the new cases, 80 were exposed to the virus while visiting high-risk areas, 49 of whom were found in Samut Sakhon, eight in Bangkok, five in Tak and the rest in other provinces.

Proactive testing confirmed 217 cases, which included 196 foreigners and 16 Thais in Samut Sakhon and five Myanmar nationals in Bangkok.

Of the 12 returnees, four are Thais with one each returning from the United Arab Emirates, Italy, Sudan and Sri Lanka.

Also testing positive was a Portuguese national from the UK, a Dutch national from Germany, and one each from Estonia, Italy, Sudan, Switzerland, Britain and Lebanon.

Meanwhile, 382 patients have recovered and been discharged.

As of Friday, the number of confirmed cases in Thailand had risen to 13,104. Of these, 10,765 infections had been contracted domestically, including 4,384 who were found via proactive testing, while 2,339 were returnees. So far, 10,224 have fully recovered, 2,809 patients are still in hospital and the death toll remains unchanged at 71.

According to Worldometer, as of midnight on Thursday, the number of confirmed cases globally had risen to 98 million (up by 664,932), 70.47 million have recovered, 25.52 million are active cases (111,345 in severe condition) and 2.1 million have died (up by 16,578).

Thailand ranks 128th on the global list of most cases. The US tops the list with 25.19 million, followed by India 10.63 million, Brazil 8.69 million, Russia 3.66 million and the United Kingdom 3.54 million.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30401640

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2021-01-22

59 minutes ago, webfact said:

According to Worldometer, as of midnight on Thursday, the number of confirmed cases globally had risen to 98 million (up by 664,932), 70.47 million have recovered, 25.52 million are active cases (111,345 in severe condition) and 2.1 million have died (up by 16,578).

Thailand ranks 128th on the global list of most cases.

Perhaps important to note that Thailand is the only country in the bottom half of the worldometers table below 86th place that has any size of a problem with new cases. the others are all very small.
Maybe that some countries have not reported yesterday yet, but still stands out.
So most of the others near the same level are now well under control, and Thailand is the odd one out with this second wave coming later for some reason.

Edited by jojothai
add info
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

Once again no mention of Koh Si Chang or numbers in Chonburi why ....................????

Only 18 cases in all other provinces besides Samut Sakhon, Bangkok, and Trat...so deminimus. I'm sure the info is available at the CCSA website if your curious.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Only 18 cases in all other provinces besides Samut Sakhon, Bangkok, and Trat...so deminimus. I'm sure the info is available at the CCSA website if your curious.

Then please explain why Koh Si Chang is in lockdown ??

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, KhunG said:

As they said at the time, because nearby coastal areas were having a surge of cases and they didn't want it getting to the island.

But we are talking about two days ago and since then no reports of infections that warrant closing an island have been reported is my point.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

But we are talking about two days ago and since then no reports of infections that warrant closing an island have been reported is my point.

They decided to close to non residents on 6 Jan when Sri Racha was having it's outbreak.  They haven't decided to reopen, yet.  My guess is they won't reopen until neighboring areas have no cases for quite a while, because they have no current cases and don't want that to change.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, KhunG said:

They decided to close to non residents on 6 Jan when Sri Racha was having it's outbreak.  They haven't decided to reopen, yet.  My guess is they won't reopen until neighboring areas have no cases for quite a while, because they have no current cases and don't want that to change.

Koh Si Chang in Chonburi locked down as coastal outbreak worsens

Jan 20. 2021
800_207b457efb96711.jpg?v=1611132194
Facebook Twitter

By The Nation

Chonburi authorities have banned travel to or from Koh Si Chang after a Covid-19 outbreak in adjoining coastal districts.

The lockdown is effective immediately until the situation is resolved, said Chonburi governor Phakthorn Thianchai, in his capacity as chairman of the provincial Communicable Diseases Committee.

The move comes after the Covid-19 outbreak in neighbouring coastal districts including Sri Racha has continued to spread. To stop transmission of the virus, Koh Si Chang has been completely locked down.

The Chonburi marine department will impose measures for boat operators while the sheriff of Koh Si Chang has been tasked with policing the lockdown.

18 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

They will have to wait a minimum 10-14 days to determine that the threat has passed. Generally I see Thai authorities waiting for 30 days to make a decision to relax restrictions. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, USNret said:

They will have to wait a minimum 10-14 days to determine that the threat has passed. Generally I see Thai authorities waiting for 30 days to make a decision to relax restrictions. 

Please refer to my latest post and note the date 20/01/21

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4reaL said:

No it's actually called we don't exponentially test people because it costs us money. A gal I know Dad is getting oxygen in a gov hospital in Nakon Nowhere because he is having trouble breathing yet has not been given a covid test.

Is Nakon Nowhere near Samut Somewhere?Just trying to pin down where it is.

• Haha 1

Apparently the spokesperson for the CCSA is at risk of being infected after being in contact with an infected colleague and going to get tested after a meeting at Government House and then will go into self quarantine.Would have thought he would test and quarantining before any meetings in Government House.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Of the new cases, 80 were exposed to the virus while visiting high-risk areas, 49 of whom were found in Samut Sakhon, eight in Bangkok, five in Tak and the rest in other provinces.

Proactive testing confirmed 217 cases, which included 196 foreigners and 16 Thais in Samut Sakhon and five Myanmar nationals in Bangkok.

And next week they plan to open up the market that was the original source of the Outbreak.

Madness !

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

Please refer to my latest post and note the date 20/01/21

Yep, that was the Nation with irresponsible/inaccurate reporting,  neighboring areas were reporting zero cases at the time, the 'coastal outbreak' had improved extensively.

Stop getting your knickers in a twist ????

• Haha 1

Why does it feel that "pro-active virus testing" picks up right around to slow when about " pro-democracy protests" would be  picking up?

Many virus cases dangerous for the government, 

Too few virus cases dangerous for the government....

A way to explain the "yoyo", being consistency inconsistent in daily numbers.

13 minutes ago, MasterBaker said:

Thailand roughly tested 2% of population, compare to 50% for Australia. these infections numbers are as good as government math skills

1st off your math skills are as goo as the Thai gov't's. If you think Australia's 12+million test represent 12+million different people being tested then you may be in line for a Thai Gov't job.  You don't  think there have been multiple tests on the same people. I have had 7 tests done on me for various reasons. Your 2% number and your50% number do tell a story about anecdotally how many tests or being done as compared to the overall population. BTW some noted a few days ago that the number of tests reported on the worldometer page for Thailand has not changed in a few days, I noted the # on Wed. and for sure it has not changed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1