Jump to content

Looking to get a storage device repaired


Recommended Posts

My NAS device ("entry level", Synology brand) recently crashed. I am hoping someone might be able to recommend a competent repair person who may be able to recover some of the lost data & do whatever is required to get it operational again. I'm in central Bangkok. 

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What you want is not repair - it's data recovery.   The big question you want to ask yourself is: How important is that data for you and how much are you willing to pay for it.   B

was your synology self-managed? did you cloud the content on the drive? what was the primary use of the synology? is the hard disk crash? or is it a soft crash?   if the hard disk is st

thank you. I opened it & had a look, & it would appear to my unqualified eye that everything is where it should be

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, georgey said:

My NAS device ("entry level", Synology brand) recently crashed. I am hoping someone might be able to recommend a competent repair person who may be able to recover some of the lost data & do whatever is required to get it operational again. I'm in central Bangkok. 

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Loads of shops in Fortune Town, Ratchadapisek road

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, georgey said:

My NAS device ("entry level", Synology brand) recently crashed. I am hoping someone might be able to recommend a competent repair person who may be able to recover some of the lost data & do whatever is required to get it operational again. I'm in central Bangkok. 

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

What you want is not repair - it's data recovery.

 

The big question you want to ask yourself is: How important is that data for you and how much are you willing to pay for it.

 

Because if you find someone who claims he can do it and he does it wrong then your data might be irreversible gone. Nobody will be able to restore it.

 

If you know it's important and you are willing to pay then look for a professional data recovery company. You will find them online. The price often depend on how fast you need your data. If you can wait i.e. for a week that is cheaper than "I want it now".

 

The middle way are people who know their limitations. There is pretty good free recovery software out there and if a computer professional knows what he is doing then he might be able to recover your data without changing anything on the original. If he is not able to recover your data then you can still ask an (expensive) professional to do that.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you vm for both replies. I think it may have originally come from Fortune Town, I just find the whole place a bit bewildering (not being competent in matters of this nature), so was hoping to get a specific recommendation in order to avoid going to (as per OneMoreFarang's reply) "someone who claims he can do it and he does it wrong". I'll have a closer look at data recovery options. 

Thanks again to you both for your trouble.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, georgey said:

My NAS device ("entry level", Synology brand) recently crashed. I am hoping someone might be able to recommend a competent repair person who may be able to recover some of the lost data & do whatever is required to get it operational again. I'm in central Bangkok. 

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

was your synology self-managed? did you cloud the content on the drive? what was the primary use of the synology?

is the hard disk crash? or is it a soft crash?

 

if the hard disk is still good and it's just a system crash, just re-install everything, and if content was clouded, re-sync everything back

 

that should take you 1 full day,

Edited by GrandPapillon
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you vm.

I just use it for downloading movies etc. & storing photos. Luckily I've had years of trouble-free use out of it, as, as I said earlier, I'm pretty useless at doing anything more than turning it on & off.

The message under "Suggestion" reads: "Unable to use this volume. The data in the volume may be crashed. Please try to back up the data before removing the volume." Later under "Status" it says simply: "Crashed". 

Problem was caused by the box being knocked on its side (not dropped), on a hard surface . I'm surprised how sensitive it is.

Link to post
Share on other sites

the box being knocked off on the side wouldn't create such a crash unless the drive was already on a failure path

 

I assume there are 2 drives in the synology, and only 1 drive has crashed, try to "reformat" it if you need how to do it

 

if you didn't use HyperBackup on the Synology to sync or cloud your shared folders data, then it's gone

Link to post
Share on other sites

Eeek, does nobody here understand what a NAS is? If this is a multi-hard drive box, and depending on how it was setup, the solution is merely to replace the damaged disk and the system will automatically rebuild. There are built in redundancies for just this issue.

 

So, what is the model number of your NAS? How many drives? What type of raid was it set up as?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2021 at 5:53 PM, GrandPapillon said:

the box being knocked off on the side wouldn't create such a crash unless the drive was already on a failure path

 

I assume there are 2 drives in the synology, and only 1 drive has crashed, try to "reformat" it if you need how to do it

 

if you didn't use HyperBackup on the Synology to sync or cloud your shared folders data, then it's gone

Thank you, only one drive, & not backed up, so not looking great. Appreciate your taking the trouble to help.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, gargamon said:

Eeek, does nobody here understand what a NAS is? If this is a multi-hard drive box, and depending on how it was setup, the solution is merely to replace the damaged disk and the system will automatically rebuild. There are built in redundancies for just this issue.

 

So, what is the model number of your NAS? How many drives? What type of raid was it set up as?

Thank you. It's a DS212j - one drive only. As I said I'm totally ignorant about this stuff, the unit was bought for me & set up by a friend who's no longer in the country (otherwise I'd go to him). So RAID is (well) beyond me. Thanks vm again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, georgey said:

Thank you. It's a DS212j - one drive only. As I said I'm totally ignorant about this stuff, the unit was bought for me & set up by a friend who's no longer in the country (otherwise I'd go to him). So RAID is (well) beyond me. Thanks vm again.

the DS212j has a 2 drive bay,

 

something is not clear, where and how did you get that message below? in your Windows box? that doesn't really tell you anything, or it could be a simple network connection issue to the Synology

 

The message under "Suggestion" reads: "Unable to use this volume. The data in the volume may be crashed. Please try to back up the data before removing the volume." Later under "Status" it says simply: "Crashed".

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a DS211j, the 2011 version equivalant to your 2012 model. I no longer use it but for what it is, it works sufficiently well. I subsequently got a 4 disk Synology NAS, but found Synology to be insufficient and recently built one myself. 

 

Your unit has 2 drives and will likely be set up with 1 disk redundancy, where if 1 disk crashes, it can simply be replaced and the system will rebuild it without losing any data.

 

Hard drives spin at a very high rate, and should not be moved when operating, let alone dropped on the floor. Assuming only 1 disk was spinning when it was dropped, likely only 1 disk is toast. Someone needs to log into the NAS and check which disk(s) are crashed. Hopefully you still have the password or can contact the person that set it up to find out what it is. The default username is “admin” and the default password is left blank. Then, depending on what they find, the path to take can be determined. You will obviously need to find someone a bit more technically literate to do this. Hopefully whoever you find has some experience with Synology. If it's only 1 drive bad, replace it with a new one, give it a day or 2 to rebuild the replaced disk and all should be OK.

 

Data from NAS's typically cannot  be recovered the same way as you would from a bad hard drive on your PC or laptop because the NAS has it's own formatting of the data. You cannot take a hard drive from a NAS and plug it into a PC to read the data, so the recovery software used for PC's won't work. My homemade NAS, of course, doesn't have this limitation.

  

Keep us posted as to what you find.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2021 at 6:40 PM, georgey said:

Thank you vm.

I just use it for downloading movies etc. & storing photos. Luckily I've had years of trouble-free use out of it, as, as I said earlier, I'm pretty useless at doing anything more than turning it on & off.

The message under "Suggestion" reads: "Unable to use this volume. The data in the volume may be crashed. Please try to back up the data before removing the volume." Later under "Status" it says simply: "Crashed". 

Problem was caused by the box being knocked on its side (not dropped), on a hard surface . I'm surprised how sensitive it is.

Get somebody to open it. The reader might just be hanging and that would be an easy job for somebody who knows what he's doing. 

 

I had an external 1 TB drive where i thought it's expired and the PC didn't recognize it anymore.

 

   Then after taking it out of the cover, I only  needed a little bit of soldering and back to life it was. 

 

  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, teacherclaire said:

Get somebody to open it. The reader might just be hanging and that would be an easy job for somebody who knows what he's doing. 

 

I had an external 1 TB drive where i thought it's expired and the PC didn't recognize it anymore.

 

   Then after taking it out of the cover, I only  needed a little bit of soldering and back to life it was. 

 

  

Thank you. I was indeed intending to open it; just need to get hold of the right-sized screwdriver.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, gargamon said:

I have a DS211j, the 2011 version equivalant to your 2012 model. I no longer use it but for what it is, it works sufficiently well. I subsequently got a 4 disk Synology NAS, but found Synology to be insufficient and recently built one myself. 

 

Your unit has 2 drives and will likely be set up with 1 disk redundancy, where if 1 disk crashes, it can simply be replaced and the system will rebuild it without losing any data.

 

Hard drives spin at a very high rate, and should not be moved when operating, let alone dropped on the floor. Assuming only 1 disk was spinning when it was dropped, likely only 1 disk is toast. Someone needs to log into the NAS and check which disk(s) are crashed. Hopefully you still have the password or can contact the person that set it up to find out what it is. The default username is “admin” and the default password is left blank. Then, depending on what they find, the path to take can be determined. You will obviously need to find someone a bit more technically literate to do this. Hopefully whoever you find has some experience with Synology. If it's only 1 drive bad, replace it with a new one, give it a day or 2 to rebuild the replaced disk and all should be OK.

 

Data from NAS's typically cannot  be recovered the same way as you would from a bad hard drive on your PC or laptop because the NAS has it's own formatting of the data. You cannot take a hard drive from a NAS and plug it into a PC to read the data, so the recovery software used for PC's won't work. My homemade NAS, of course, doesn't have this limitation.

  

Keep us posted as to what you find.

Sorry for busting in but can I have some more info about your NAS build?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...