Looking to get a storage device repaired

georgey

24 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

I think WD has some "WIFI drives" which are basically light version of a Synology that can be setup very easily

the Synology is a wonderful device but it can be complex to setup because you can do so many things with it, it's really a full network server, not a simple "shared" drive

you can even rent one on the cloud and run your "cloud" network for your business with that little device. There are even "free" alternatives to Synology like "OpenMediaVault", but you need to have min IT skills for a DIY enthusiast to setup those. 

Tks vm, I'll look into those alternatives

2 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

I have been using Synology NAS since 2012 and have a DS212 & DS718. Both are twin disc units. They can be used with either a single or double discs. Single disc has no data copy option hence your screenshot showing (without data protection). From your screenshot "volume 1" appears to have on one disk and that it is installed in slot #2. If there were two disks they would both be shown in the "disk info tab". To me it seems that it would be unlikely to recover data easily from the drive. Though as it was not striped over two disks the files should be on the disk and may be recoverable by an experienced data recovery professional.

BTW: I keep my NAS at my UK home and it works great as a VPN (for accessing UK streaming sites) and as a back-up device.

Thank you 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, georgey said:

Unfortunately I can no longer give you remote access as I cannot, now, get into it myself (which of course I could when I took that screenshot). The machine now emits repeated "beeps" when turned on, as opposed to the single "beep" it normally gives when it's finished booting up.

How many beeps? Long or short beeps? This info will tell you(or me) what it is complaining about, and if it is recoverable, There is also a reset button that you hold down for something like 10 seconds to reset tje operating system if needed. I wouldn't suggest doing that yet, but only as a last resort.

12 hours ago, gargamon said:

How many beeps? Long or short beeps? This info will tell you(or me) what it is complaining about, and if it is recoverable, There is also a reset button that you hold down for something like 10 seconds to reset tje operating system if needed. I wouldn't suggest doing that yet, but only as a last resort.

The beeps seem to me, in terms of both tone & length, to be the same as the one it produces when it's finished booting up when operating normally. The interval between them is 3 secs, & they continue until I turn it off. In case it's relevant, the lights, from the top down behave as follows: Status flashes orange, LAN flashes green, Disk 1 nothing (as there is no Disk 1), Disk 2 continuous yellow (Power continuous blue). I'll stay away from the reset button for the time being.

Thank you for your perseverance.

10 hours ago, georgey said:

The beeps seem to me, in terms of both tone & length, to be the same as the one it produces when it's finished booting up when operating normally. The interval between them is 3 secs, & they continue until I turn it off. In case it's relevant, the lights, from the top down behave as follows: Status flashes orange, LAN flashes green, Disk 1 nothing (as there is no Disk 1), Disk 2 continuous yellow (Power continuous blue). I'll stay away from the reset button for the time being.

That sounds like the standard "Something is broken" beeps that it emits whenever something is wrong. You should be able to still log in and at least turn off the beep. 

If you cannot log in, you might as well do the reset. See the instructions here: https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/General_Setup/How_to_reset_my_Synology_NAS You will probably need to do the second method. Probably best you get help with this part.

Your data is probably lost at this point. I would probably remove the drive and temporarily put it into a PC so I could do diagnostics on it see how badly it's broken. You wouldn't be able to  recover any data this way, at least not easily, but it could be determined if any further action would be warranted.

It's too bad whoever set this NAS up didn't put 2 disks in so there would be some redundancy. There's no point in having a NAS with only 1 disk, very little benefit over a USB disk. 

Good luck.

On 1/27/2021 at 11:05 AM, georgey said:

The reset doesn’t reset the data - it resets the password that you use to access DSM. It doesn’t delete any apps, but it may reset some settings that are stopping you from accessing DSM.

On 1/27/2021 at 9:34 PM, gargamon said:

That sounds like the standard "Something is broken" beeps that it emits whenever something is wrong. You should be able to still log in and at least turn off the beep. 

If you cannot log in, you might as well do the reset. See the instructions here: https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/General_Setup/How_to_reset_my_Synology_NAS You will probably need to do the second method. Probably best you get help with this part.

Your data is probably lost at this point. I would probably remove the drive and temporarily put it into a PC so I could do diagnostics on it see how badly it's broken. You wouldn't be able to  recover any data this way, at least not easily, but it could be determined if any further action would be warranted.

It's too bad whoever set this NAS up didn't put 2 disks in so there would be some redundancy. There's no point in having a NAS with only 1 disk, very little benefit over a USB disk. 

Good luck.

Thank you for all that. As you correctly say, I'll need help after resetting, so think I'll wait till I can find someone who can do that, as there would appear to be no benefit in having a rest machine that I can't use.

I think you should use Google Apps and Sync for your Win10 app desktop, and upload all your data on your Google Drive, it has 5 times the capacity of your Synology

Synology is not for people with little IT skills, you could resell it, empty with no drive, for something like 3,500 THB, probably cost you 8,500 THB

The broken drive probably could be reformatted in any desktop PC,

5 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

I think you should use Google Apps and Sync for your Win10 app desktop, and upload all your data on your Google Drive, it has 5 times the capacity of your Synology

Synology is not for people with little IT skills, you could resell it, empty with no drive, for something like 3,500 THB, probably cost you 8,500 THB

The broken drive probably could be reformatted in any desktop PC,

Thank you yet again for your valuable advice. I will certainly consider going that route.

DS 215j is listed for about 50 EUR on ebay, so that's about 2,000 THB

if I was in Thailand, I would have bought it from you at that price, since I would like to have one here, and I wouldn't have to carry it

if it's something you consider, and you can't find a better buyer, I will pick it up from you at 2,000 THB with the broken disk

17 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

if it's something you consider, and you can't find a better buyer, I will pick it up from you at 2,000 THB with the broken disk

Sounds like a cunning plan. Give me a couple of days, please, then we can finalise via PM....

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1