Thai Massage Education

jostein

I am living in Chiang Rai province with my Thai girl friend. We are planning to marry soon, and to move to Norway in a couple of years. My girl friend does not have a proper education, so to get a job in Norway, we thought it may be a good idea to learn Thai Massage. Does anyone know where to learn Thai Massage in the Chiang Rai/Payao area? We live in Pa Daet, so the ideal thing would be a temple or school situated between Chiang Rai and Payao. Pa Daet is 53 km from CR and 45 from Payao. But of course it is possible to travel into town also, if needed. I have been told, by a Thai Massager in Bangkok, that the education is two years. If one can get a shorter education that still has a high standard, that may be good enough. But we are NOT interested in a two week farang course. I am talking about becoming a full-fledged Thai Massager... Any help most appreciated! Jostein and Pooy

I am living in Chiang Rai province with my Thai girl friend. We are planning to marry soon, and to move to Norway in a couple of years. My girl friend does not have a proper education, so to get a job in Norway, we thought it may be a good idea to learn Thai Massage. Does anyone know where to learn Thai Massage in the Chiang Rai/Payao area? We live in Pa Daet, so the ideal thing would be a temple or school situated between Chiang Rai and Payao. Pa Daet is 53 km from CR and 45 from Payao. But of course it is possible to travel into town also, if needed. I have been told, by a Thai Massager in Bangkok, that the education is two years. If one can get a shorter education that still has a high standard, that may be good enough. But we are NOT interested in a two week farang course. I am talking about becoming a full-fledged Thai Massager... Any help most appreciated! Jostein and Pooy

You're probably looking for something of higher class but the only place I know about is the Labor Development Office near that Department of Motor Vehicles and other Government offices in ChiangRai City. The government has a vocational training initiative so they offer free long term courses in a wide range of fields (car mechanic, cook, electrician, etc.) and Thai massage is one of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Try the Mae Lao Hospital.

A friend of mine (French) woman got a certificate there or near there and now practices legally in France. The program is only for women, as many of the woman who are trained there are battered or come from broken families and offeres them a path out of extreme poverty and fend for themselves. The patients practived on are not the easiest, many have mental health issues, however massage is a prescribed therapy for them. If you want more information feel free to pm me and I can find out for you. Mae Lao, as i'm sure you know is about 20 km south of ching rai on the Super highway.

CRG

Sory for the initial poster. I do not bring any answer but I am interested also.

CSS, do you have any coordinates about this school?

The address is:

418 Moo 6 FangMin-NongBuaDang Road, Tambon/District Rimkok, Ampur Muang Chiangrai 57100

In case someone needs it for directions with a driver or other I'll give it in Thai also:

ศูนย์พัตนาฝีมือแรงงานจังหวัดเชียงราย

418 หมู่ 6 ถ.ฝั้งหมิ่น-หนองบัวแดง ตำบลริมกก อำเภอเมือง จังหวัดเชียงราย 57100

There number is 053-600315

To get there starting from within Chiangrai city head north on the superhighway towards Mae Sai, cross the mae kok bridge and take your next right at the stop light, passing under a wooden gate as you turn. Continue along this road for 3km or so and the "Soon Pattana FeeMeu RangNgan Jangwat Chiangrai" is on your right.

Yes, CSS, they also offer the course here, however I don't if the program offers a certificate that can be used overseas or not. If they do, then great. Jostein, you should probably check with both to gather more information. The gov. also teaches some of these courses in town at the ymca near the police station and provincial hall.