Jump to content

ON THE TILES Indoor floor tiling, wastage and labor costs?


Recommended Posts

After decades she who must be obeyed wants a makeover of what seem perfectly good tiles

Well weve now had the old one foot square ones ripped up.

 

She has set her mind to hi -so 50x 50cm or 60 x 60cm type tiles, seems larger easier to clean , I can't argue with such science!

 

My Questions

 

1 For 52 square metres how many extra should I allow for breakage /cutting wastage as obvious with larger sizes less efficicnt than teh standard foot square I bought last time? These are low traffic bedrooms , suggestions not to bother under the bed received "THE LOOK".I guess 5-10% extra?

 

2 We are up country where many local tradesman from300-500 baht daily but they wish to be paid per square metre, What is the going rate , we have time to shop around but always good to get a ball park figure as when they see a farang ripping out perfectly useful tiles they realize he has "money to burn " ( or in my case a very persausive wife.

 

I seem to recall a long time ago I paid c400 all in tiles. fixing and men

 

Thanks in advance for any advice and any recommendations for brands 

 

We have a  Homemart Homeporo Watsadu etc 100km away and local builders who will order

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems it's a good idea that you buy the material.

Because if you give the builder "big money" for material maybe he decides first to double that money with a bet on his favorite football club. And maybe that bet doesn't work the way he thought. And then you will never see him or your money again.

 

Ah the voice of experience I have a cunning ruse, I plan to give him a refundable advance of ...my mother in law, guaranteed to deter any knight on the tiles.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

For what its worth.

Buy all the Materials yourself.

Make sure he Grouts the Tiles in 2 Times and not 1.

Only once and the Grout gets " sucked "under the Tiles and looks terrible when its all sunken, and in some places will be non existent

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would also buy materials myself (have always done so and let Thais do the work). Its not that i worried they would run with the money. But i did worry they would buy cheaper materials and glue. So if you supply good stuff it will last longer.

 

I also heard that most trades men want it per square meter. I rather pay for a good tile layer per square meter then 500-600 bt (if you can find it) idiots that do a bad job. Your going to put in tiles for year to come. Best make sure they do a good job. So its best to find someone with experience.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, robblok said:

I would also buy materials myself (have always done so and let Thais do the work). Its not that i worried they would run with the money. But i did worry they would buy cheaper materials and glue. So if you supply good stuff it will last longer.

 

I also heard that most trades men want it per square meter. I rather pay for a good tile layer per square meter then 500-600 bt (if you can find it) idiots that do a bad job. Your going to put in tiles for year to come. Best make sure they do a good job. So its best to find someone with experience.

How do you make sure they do a good job? Because if they are paid by sqm then they have an incentive to rush. On the other hand if they are paid (well) per day then the have an incentive to maybe work slower. What is your experience? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How do you make sure they do a good job? Because if they are paid by sqm then they have an incentive to rush. On the other hand if they are paid (well) per day then the have an incentive to maybe work slower. What is your experience? 

My experience is that the ones that are paid by the meter are usually guys what have done it before the 500-600 bt a day ones are just normal guys who do everything.

 

But the main thing is to ask for references or to find someone who has it done and was pleased. It always a problem finding good tradesmen. Just paying the square meter fee is not a guarantee. 

 

I had some job done well, at the home pro you could get references for tilers. I believe home pro had their own tiling service. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The most important thing is to be there when they are laying the tiles. There are 2 methods. Left to their own devices they will slap a dollop of grout roughly under the centre of the tile to be laid, and then press and jiggle the tile down to it's final position. They will then do this to every tile on the floor, the end result being that you have a floor that looks fine but has NO SUPPORT under the tile corners. When enough load is applied to these areas the tile corners will crack. This is a very common method when not supervised. Ideally the tiles should be laid on a flat bed of grout which provides total support and no ensuing problems 🙂 Mathematically it surely cannot be rocket science to calculate how many tile you will need, knowing the dimensions of the room and the size of the tiles 🙂

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

The most important thing is to be there when they are laying the tiles. There are 2 methods. Left to their own devices they will slap a dollop of grout roughly under the centre of the tile to be laid, and then press and jiggle the tile down to it's final position. They will then do this to every tile on the floor, the end result being that you have a floor that looks fine but has NO SUPPORT under the tile corners. When enough load is applied to these areas the tile corners will crack. This is a very common method when not supervised. Ideally the tiles should be laid on a flat bed of grout which provides total support and no ensuing problems 🙂 Mathematically it surely cannot be rocket science to calculate how many tile you will need, knowing the dimensions of the room and the size of the tiles 🙂

Interesting comment.

 

Some time ago I watched a couple of videos on YouTube about laying tiles. It seems an important part is that the floor is 100% flat before the tiles are laid. And some other details. Summary: It's not easy.

Extended summary: If it's done wrong it is a lot of work to get those new tiles out again (by smashing them and and and) and do it all from scratch again.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Often a deal is that you buy tiles, and cement + sand, and grout, and pay per square meter for the work, plus per running meter for borders, stair-nose and other special work.

 

Count 10-15 percent extra for tiles, 15 percent if diamond pattern. I used to round up a bit, an extra box of tiles is Okay to store, should some later need to be replaced for whatever reason.

 

From my experience, a good tile layer would charge around 200 baht per square meter, all depending of the size of the total work, i.e. more if it's a small job, or if tiles are going to be carried up to third floor etc., which could be 250 baht per square meter. Borders and stair nose etc. would be about 100 to 150 baht per running meter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, robblok said:

But the main thing is to ask for references or to find someone who has it done and was pleased. It always a problem finding good tradesmen. Just paying the square meter fee is not a guarantee. 

 

This is the best advice of all. If it's a bad job it doesn't matter how much or little you paid, it's not worth it. Ask to see an example of their work. If it's bad, move on. If it's good say you expect that level quality as a minimum requirement and identify any iffy areas and say you wouldn't accept that.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...