Losing weight in a healthy way to fight Covid-19

snoop1130

I lost 5kg since January.

Walking a lot, drinking much more water.

Before, addicted to Coke Zero. Now, still drinking it but as a reward rather than because I am thirsty.

Cutting out sugar as much as possible.

Trying to avoid salt.

Cooking at home. Lots of soup.

Smoothies.

Feeling great.

Looking to loose another 5kg and walk my average of 7.5km a day.

• Like 1

Just now, Wongkitlo said:

Well done. Related to that is there is a lapse of time between being full and your brain registering that you are full. In the past I ate too quickly and 30 minutes after I had finished I would realize I had eaten too much and felt bloated. . 

Yes......never considered that....I now hate eating unless I feel really hungry.....and hate that full, bloated feeling.

• Like 1

My wife's guide to weight loss appears to be eat as many vegetables as you can - and as many leaves from the trees on the way to the 7/11 - and then buy a dodgy som tam that keeps you on the loo all night. 

I'm actually beginning to think that expensive slimming tablets would be cheaper than air freshner ! ????

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

My wife's guide to weight loss appears to be eat as many vegetables as you can - and as many leaves from the trees on the way to the 7/11 - and then buy a dodgy som tam that keeps you on the loo all night. 

I'm actually beginning to think that expensive slimming tablets would be cheaper than air freshner ! ????

True.

What I see often on the table, all those green stuff.

At home, it wouldn't even make the way to the kitchen. I would think those are all weeds.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Blumpie said:

Diets are rubbish if you ask me.

Just eat properly and watch the weight hopefully fly off.  If you diet, it will all just go back.  If you are suffering and eating causes you to suffer, you will simply revert back to your prior habits sooner or later.  

I've been overweight by 10 kilos, maybe 13.  By changing my diet long ago and eating properly, I am completely normal and feel great.  

That's just me, I'm no dietician, and some people do have problems with metabolism.  No judgement here.  

Well, it depends on what you mean by "eating properly." I used to eat 3 meals a day - a bowl of muesli every morning with skimmed milk, a sandwich for lunch and something like green curry with rice for dinner with some salad thrown in somewhere along the way along with some tropic fruits. My significant other ate what I ate except larger portions and also sweet stuff - at that time, I was big into portion control and reduced fat as that is what we were told.  I played tennis three times per week. My significant other was not really into sports apart from the odd jump into a pool. Neither of us drank much - about the equivalent of three large bottles of beer each per week.

My significant other stayed at between 65 and 70kg for 10 years. I went from 95kg to 125kg over about 10 years.

I drew from this that there was a huge difference between how my significant other's body worked and how mine did.

Since then, after much research I discovered what worked for me. While my significant other seemed to thrive on carbs such as white rice, it was slapping the weight onto me. I managed to stop the weight going on by cutting the high carb foods out - no rice, bread, muesli nor even pasta. The added benefit of dropping these foods was that it made me less hungry. Due to injuries, I had to give up tennis and took up cycling instead, now taking in about 80km per week. This regime stops me putting on weight.

But for me to actually lose weight, I have to go on a fast, usually for about 5 days at a time, living on tea/coffee and bone broth combined with mild exercise. There is no other way for me. Then once I start back eating again, I stay off the alcohol, keep to zero carbs and hit the cycling hard. It is the only way. Nothing else works for me - I have tried them all.

So telling people to "eat properly" is not helpful. Some people are eating properly but slapping on the weight. Some people eat properly and lose weight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Glaswegian2 said:

You're right of course, but it's the way you do it that matters, and often, people have a slightly different way of achieving it. I lost 20kg a while back, but I can't do it the same way now.

Bottom line: more calories out than in = lost weight. Always. More calories in than out = weight gained. Always.

It seems to be a law.

which people have trouble understanding

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Proboscis said:

I used to eat 3 meals a day - a bowl of muesli every morning with skimmed milk, a sandwich for lunch and something like green curry with rice for dinner with some salad thrown in somewhere along the way along with some tropic fruits.

[...]

I went from 95kg to 125kg over about 10 years.

Assuming that you are talking about "normal" portion sizes (not a salad bowl of cereal, a foot-long subway sandwich and half a kg rice for dinner), then that's maybe 500 calories a meal, 1500 a day or so (add the salad and the fruits, still definitely below 2000), then this weight gain should be impossible.

Most likely you are not realizing which amounts you really eat, ignore snacks, consume calories through drinking, and so on. If what you tell us here is really accurate and you made such a weight gain you should contact an endocrinologist, something is wrong with you.

How many calories did you eat on average per day?

Edited by jackdd

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

Assuming that you are talking about "normal" portion sizes (not a salad bowl of cereal, a foot-long subway sandwich and half a kg rice for dinner), then that's maybe 500 calories a meal, 1500 a day or so (add the salad and the fruits, still definitely below 2000), then this weight gain should be impossible.

Most likely you are not realizing which amounts you really eat, ignore snacks, consume calories through drinking, and so on. If what you tell us here is really accurate and you made such a weight gain you should contact an endocrinologist, something is wrong with you.

How many calories did you eat on average per day?

Most Thai bread is full of sugar as is most cereal. Even muesli seems to have sugar.

22 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Wrong. It's the way of failure. People can and do lose weight that way but over 99 percent regain the weight and more. Why is that? The metabolism is reset to burn fewer calories and it never recovers. Almost nobody can starve themselves for the rest of their lives.

There are ways around this but they have nothing to do with calorie counting.

Namely -- intermittent fasting. Nothing to do with calorie counting.

That’s rubbish. What works for one doesn’t work for all. I’m 64 and have found the ONLY thing that works for me to lose weight is to set my calories to 1200 per day. I’ve lost 90 lbs in the last 7 months. I can level off at 1600-1800 calories per day if I want to maintain, depending on my physical activity level - that’s what works for me. I’ve tried intermittent fasting and everything else. It’s obvious the challenge is keeping the weight off, that’s where the discipline comes in. Your way is not the only way. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Proboscis said:

So telling people to "eat properly" is not helpful. Some people are eating properly but slapping on the weight. Some people eat properly and lose weight.

A good friend of mine said it this way - - we are all different chemistry sets... you have to find out what works for you.. 

he was 450 lbs - he knew about diets.. currently 280 lbs and looks good - he is a big guy.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1FinickyOne said:

A good friend of mine said it this way - - we are all different chemistry sets... you have to find out what works for you.. 

he was 450 lbs - he knew about diets.. currently 280 lbs and looks good - he is a big guy.. 

Indeed. Because of so many complex factors, what works for one won't work for another or even make things worse. Unfortunately, there isn't a one size fits all formula for this. People need to work on this themselves, perhaps seek expert help, but they could easily be giving bad advice. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DBath said:

That’s rubbish. What works for one doesn’t work for all. I’m 64 and have found the ONLY thing that works for me to lose weight is to set my calories to 1200 per day. I’ve lost 90 lbs in the last 7 months. I can level off at 1600-1800 calories per day if I want to maintain, depending on my physical activity level - that’s what works for me. I’ve tried intermittent fasting and everything else. It’s obvious the challenge is keeping the weight off, that’s where the discipline comes in. Your way is not the only way. 

I have said multiple times on this thread there are many individual factors involved. 

I must say that your mention of discipline implies that you believe in the Calvinistic morality game of blaming failures on lack of will power. I think that's bunk. Failures are because what people are doing is simply not sustainable for the long term. Finding individual programs that both work and are sustainable is the trick. A very difficult trick. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, AmySeeker said:

Are you counting calories? This is the most difficult aspect for me. 

Yes and No.

I have a samsung health app on my phone that calculates food intake and I enter data but I am not measuring stuff on food scales its all a guesstimate!

I have just received decent food scales from Lazada, only about 280 baht and will now start checking my portions ( that is something I need to address ),  and also I have cut out sugar!

I am finding when I enter stuff on the app, it makes me aware as to what I usually forget about as in small food items!

I am doing about 10000 steps a day or around 5 miles. Low carbs but not Keto. I am happy so far but not killing myself. I am also eating in a window in the afternoon as best I can.

I thought I would have lost more weight by now as I was drinking plenty of beer, but now none for 3 months.

Edited by Scouse123

Not saying I am buying everything in this article but it gives an example to back up my assertion (hardly original) that the calories in vs. burnt calories model even though we all grew up hearing it is both horribly dated and ridiculously SIMPLISTIC.  There really is so much more to it!

Some good information in this article that touches on the various aspects of the complexity.

I think the old way vs. new way and the food types chart may be useful to people. Not so much about generic calories per se but the quality of the calories and how the body deals with the different types of food. 

The Calorie Myth - Experience Life

The Calorie Myth

New York Times best-selling author Jonathan Bailor on why we should be doing the opposite of the standard weight-loss advice to eat less and exercise more

To add, this author pegs the LONG TERM failure rate of the traditional "dieting" model at 95 percent vs. 99 percent. Whether 95 or 99, that's really bad!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

On the intermittent fasting topic, of course that's not for everyone either. People need to do their own research. People with certain health conditions shouldn't do it. 

But for people that do find it effective and sustainable, there is another advantage vs. traditional calorie restriction dieting. 

People doing significant calorie restriction whether during weight loss or attempted maintenance are quite often cranky and have mental focus problems because they are hungry.

If you're successfully intermittent fasting, you aren't hungry, you aren't cranky, and you have improved mental focus and energy because you're "eating" plenty during the fasting periods -- of your own fat!

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I have said multiple times on this thread there are many individual factors involved. 

I must say that your mention of discipline implies that you believe in the Calvinistic morality game of blaming failures on lack of will power. I think that's bunk. Failures are because what people are doing is simply not sustainable for the long term. Finding individual programs that both work and are sustainable is the trick. A very difficult trick. 

Your program of planning to ‘upgrade’ to 1 meal per day fasting, 4/20 I think you call it, isn’t any more sustainable than my program of consuming 1600-1800 calories per day. Your analogy of Calvinism is both ridiculous and not applicable. 

9 minutes ago, DBath said:

Your program of planning to ‘upgrade’ to 1 meal per day fasting, 4/20 I think you call it, isn’t any more sustainable than my program of consuming 1600-1800 calories per day. Your analogy of Calvinism is both ridiculous and not applicable. 

If its working for you great. But again losing weight is the easy part.

I'm not competing with you. You do sound hostile  Maybe your "diet" is making you cranky.

Not sure yet if I will switch to one meal a day. It doesn't seem like it would be much harder than 4 / 20 though  It depends on results. I think that people that reach a weight they are happy with I don't like the phrase ideal weight because that's pie in the sky fantasy for so many people I think many can switch to a 8 / 16 which is about as easy as it gets. Of course you need to pay attention to the kinds of foods you are eating regardless.

Edited by Jingthing

I suggest that everyone has a different metabolism and what works for one may not work for another.  

My regime is to eat small and frequently without waiting until I am hungry.  My body knows it will receive regular sustenance for energy so does not store any excess fat for energy.  I eat about every 3 -4 hours, based on a healthy and nutritious diet of fruit and vegetables with a little meat and, every few days, include small portions of starchy carbs such as rice, noodles, pasta or potatoes.  When I exercise, or it is cold weather, I know that extra calories are necessary so adjust from eating 4 times a day to 5-6 times a day. 

I can drink copious amounts of alcohol and splurge on fry up breakfasts or burgers a few times a week and do not gain weight or flab.  My weight and size remains fairly constant with my body being about the same as when I was in my mid-20's.  People often say I have a fit and trim body looking 10-20 years younger than my actual age of 65 years old. 

14 minutes ago, Encore said:

I suggest that everyone has a different metabolism and what works for one may not work for another.  

My regime is to eat small and frequently without waiting until I am hungry.  My body knows it will receive regular sustenance for energy so does not store any excess fat for energy.  I eat about every 3 -4 hours, based on a healthy and nutritious diet of fruit and vegetables with a little meat and, every few days, include small portions of starchy carbs such as rice, noodles, pasta or potatoes.  When I exercise, or it is cold weather, I know that extra calories are necessary so adjust from eating 4 times a day to 5-6 times a day. 

I can drink copious amounts of alcohol and splurge on fry up breakfasts or burgers a few times a week and do not gain weight or flab.  My weight and size remains fairly constant with my body being about the same as when I was in my mid-20's.  People often say I have a fit and trim body looking 10-20 years younger than my actual age of 65 years old. 

So you were never overweight or obese? This topic really isn't for such people. Once you have the problem which often starts in childhood, things become different. For example, the typical backfiring of calorie restriction working for weight loss then backfiring (95 to 99 percent of the time) because the person's metabolism has been reset to be permanently slower. 

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

So you were never overweight or obese? This topic really isn't for such people. Once you have the problem which often starts in childhood, things become different. For example, the typical backfiring of calorie restriction working for weight loss then backfiring (95 to 99 percent of the time) because the person's metabolism has been reset to be permanently slower. 

I have had periods where I have gained excess fat, such as extended hospitalisation and when I was unable to exercise for a few years due to work and injury.  However, I managed to reduce my size by eating smaller meals frequently, in the manner I stated.  As such, my weight and body measurements are now about the same as 40 years ago.   

Friends and partners have also adopted the same regimen with varying results.  Those who have a sweet tooth and wash down cake, biscuits and pastries with carbonated sugary drinks do not normally obtain the same results as those who do not. 

19 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

I have never counted calories and think if you eat sensibly you don't need to

not sure why you are replying to myself with this, i do not count calories

18 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

Truthfully I think that attitude gives people misconceptions about losing weight. You shouldn't need to go through pain and suffering to do it.

This is a misconception and false, with correct diet/lifstyle, there is no "pain and suffering"
The reason people think they suffer, is because they dont want to change lifestyle and still want to eat the same diet, which makes them inevitable fail,
Sugar is very addictive and needs to be treated as a drug of you want to beat your addiction to it
4KG in 6 months might be an achievment for yourself,
but when starting keto, i was dropping 2kg a week, eating as much as i wanted
IT HAS NOT COME BACK !

12 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

yes. Even the weight is relative. One person who is 280 pounds is a "big guy" in the sense that he is reasonably fit and muscular whereas another 280 pounder of the same height is very overweight.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, patman30 said:

not sure why you are replying to myself with this, i do not count calories

This is a misconception and false, with correct diet/lifstyle, there is no "pain and suffering"
The reason people think they suffer, is because they dont want to change lifestyle and still want to eat the same diet, which makes them inevitable fail,
Sugar is very addictive and needs to be treated as a drug of you want to beat your addiction to it
4KG in 6 months might be an achievment for yourself,
but when starting keto, i was dropping 2kg a week, eating as much as i wanted
IT HAS NOT COME BACK !

You wrote.

"how on earth can you restrict calories if you are not counting them.....????‍♂️

If you are not counting calories, then you are not restricting them as you never count them to know"

Hence my post. I was only 78kg so don't really need to lose as much as that. I was virtually saying the same as you regarding lifestyle. It is more  a change of lifestyle than pain and suffering. 

Edited by Wongkitlo
Edit

19 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

Crazy figures, but good for you if true 

give it a try and see the change for yourself
i started with keto
but now mainly eat carnivore
meat/fish/eggs/dairy etc.
on cheat days i eat keto, maybe nuts, avocado, coconut cream

Starting with keto, just eat as much as you want whenever you want, dont try adjusting to quickly
i done this for a month eating steaks with bacon, melted cheese and fried eggs (in fat)
with whipped cream with pecans and macadamia to quickly quash any cravings
you can also eat berries on keto
then after you get through first month and sugar cravings stop, just work on reducing your eating window
and watch the weight fly off, outside of your eating window, you should consume literally zero cals, water and black coffee/tea only
the longer your intermitant fast the quicker the fat is burned, if you cheat during IF, it is not IF.

It is also much cheaper to eat Carnivore than many people realize.

Edited by patman30
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

You wrote.

"how on earth can you restrict calories if you are not counting them.....????‍♂️

If you are not counting calories, then you are not restricting them as you never count them to know"

Hence my post. I was only 78kg so don't really need to lose as much as that. I was virtually saying the same as you regarding lifestyle. It is more  a change of lifestyle than pain and suffering. 

Again, with correct diet, "there is no pain and suffering"
that is a misconception

"pain and suffering" is only when you refuse to give up the sugar addiction