Losing weight in a healthy way to fight Covid-19

snoop1130

8 minutes ago, patman30 said:

Oats are 66% carbs (converts to sugar)
raisins contain 33.8% fructose (sugar)

You are obviously very interested in this. As I posted I am not going to count calories or bother if raisins will make me fat and I don't think other people should either. I was just saying healthy choices are good. Having oats and raisins is better for you than processed cereals or bacon and eggs.

19 hours ago, jackdd said:

think I saw your Youtube about about your diet. Most people here aren't world class power lifters with 400 pound body weight though.

no idea what you are talking about, as i dont make YT vids
it does not take all day to eat 5000 calories if you want to

2 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

You are obviously very interested in this. As I posted I am not going to count calories or bother if raisins will make me fat and I don't think other people should either. I was just saying healthy choices are good. Having oats and raisins is better for you than processed cereals or bacon and eggs.

again, you are mistaken
oats and raisins are NOT better than bacon and eggs

yes i have been there, done that, in regards to my health and diet

6 minutes ago, patman30 said:

Again, with correct diet, "there is no pain and suffering"
that is a misconception

"pain and suffering" is only when you refuse to give up the sugar addiction

Do you actually read what people post or just comment regardless?

2 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

Do you actually read what people post or just comment regardless?

yes, you keep posting about your "lifestyle change"
which doesnt even seem much of a change to myself
instead of "pain and suffering"

your diet is pretty much a normal diet (i am not referring to weight loss when i state diet)
you have not really made a lifestyle change yourself
you are still addicted to sugar
yet you seem to think you have made a change
that is somehow superior to other peoples lifestyles

16 hours ago, jackdd said:

Assuming that you are talking about "normal" portion sizes (not a salad bowl of cereal, a foot-long subway sandwich and half a kg rice for dinner), then that's maybe 500 calories a meal, 1500 a day or so (add the salad and the fruits, still definitely below 2000), then this weight gain should be impossible.

Most likely you are not realizing which amounts you really eat, ignore snacks, consume calories through drinking, and so on. If what you tell us here is really accurate and you made such a weight gain you should contact an endocrinologist, something is wrong with you.

How many calories did you eat on average per day?

My point is that however you measure it, two individuals eating the same diet can have a different outcome. In our case, it certainly was.

To answer your questions, the cereal was muesli, small bowl with some milk. We never ate at Subway but bought, when it was available, sourdough bread. A sandwich at lunch involved two slices of bread each. I don't know how anyone could eat half a kg or rice for dinner but ours was a standard amount. I did have our calorie intake looked at and I remember it averaged out, including the beers, at 1,800 per day for each of us.

Over the ten years, I had regular medical checkups. I had my bloods checked and in the later years they told me I was pre-diabetic because of the weight that crept up over the years. There was nothing clinically wrong with me or my endocrine system other than my body was inclined to change my carbs into fat more efficiently than most and conserve the fat more than my significant other. That is all.

I stopped counting calories in the past few years as it was not really helping me, since I have been losing weight. But I guess that I am probably on about 1,400 to 1,600 a day average or something like that.

8 minutes ago, Proboscis said:

My point is that however you measure it, two individuals eating the same diet can have a different outcome. In our case, it certainly was.

This is absolutely correct
even the same individual can eat the same foods daily and have different response
a lot is down to blood sugar and insulin levels caused by your eating pattern
if the body is not in ketosis it will not burn its own fat
this is why snacking and sweet drinks are so bad as they keeps blood sugar spiking which raising insulin levels which prevents fat loss

Edited by patman30

I'm over 50.  can run a marathon around 3 hours and 20 minutes  (if a flat course) and I also really enjoy rock climbing.  what works for me might not work for you, so why listen to anyone?  exactly.   i'm an online doctor, but not a real doctor.  

1.  cut out the sugar, except IMMEDIATELY after exercise.  

2.  forget that fasting garbage

3.  do DIFFERENT exercises all the time

4.  drink LOTS of water

5.  fruit instead of garbage

6.  CARBS.   eat a lot the night before a good workout

7.  walk if you can

8.  workout every day, never miss a day for a few months.  even it only means walking for 2 hours

9.  INTENSITY.  you can't break your heart.  work it.  get a HR monitor and destroy your heart a few days a week

my first race was in..................................................1983

my last race was in ................................................... 2020, January

yea, it sort of needs to be a passion

Edited by Ventenio
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

I'm over 50.  can run a marathon around 3 hours and 30 minutes  (if a flat course) and I also really enjoy rock climbing.  what works for me might not work for you, so why listen to anyone?  exactly.   i'm an online doctor, but not a real doctor.  

1.  cut out the sugar, except IMMEDIATELY after exercise.  

2.  forget that fasting garbage

3.  do DIFFERENT exercises all the time

4.  drink LOTS of water

5.  fruit instead of garbage

6.  CARBS.   eat a lot the night before a good workout

7.  walk if you can

8.  workout every day, never miss a day for a few months.  even it only means walking for 2 hours

9.  INTENSITY.  you can't break your heart.  work it.  get a HR monitor and destroy your heart a few days a week

my first race was in..................................................1983

my last race was in ................................................... 2020, January

yea, it sort of needs to be a passion

if it works for you and your lifestyle you do you
as you seem very active, this may be a diet YOU need

but
1 contradicts 5 and 6.
unless 1 is only referring to refined sucrose only
and 2, displays ignorance.

Just Saying

Edited by patman30

20 minutes ago, patman30 said:

says the guy who refers to himself as "multiple people in this thread".......????‍♂️

I see two people on page one alone, "rjhklein" and "Jingthing", who say that they use IF to restrict calories without counting them. So obviously there are people who use IF to restrict calories, even if you claim that those people don't exist.

So you are either lacking reading and comprehension skills, or you are just a troll.

And now with Wongkitlo's post it does again look like you didn't even understand what he wrote.

17 minutes ago, patman30 said:

So it's impossible to lose weight if you don't do keto? Just stop trolling...

Edited by jackdd

7 minutes ago, patman30 said:

This is absolutely correct
even the same individual can eat the same foods daily and have different response
a lot is down to blood sugar and insulin levels
this is why snacking and sweet drinks are so bad as they keeps blood sugar spiking which raising insulin levels which prevents fat loss

Couldn't agree more.

You can try any diet that works for you but the common enemy is sugar in all forms including the slightly healthier fructose in fruits (so if anyone thinks they are 'healthy', drop the smoothies!). I think even TV members would agree with this that sugar is the real enemy whatever your chosen diet is.

As a type 2 diabetic for 10 years, for the last 3 my blood suger has settled at pre-diabetic levels, and have no need of diabetes medication. Keto works for me. Anyone can dismiss it as a faddy diet, but not for me it isn't.

My diet keeps the sugar spikes down. If I eat any carbs such as bread, rice, pasta, potatoes etc, my blood glucose meter goes off the scale. Carbs are just not good for me.

27 minutes ago, patman30 said:

yes, you keep posting about your "lifestyle change"
which doesnt even seem much of a change to myself
instead of "pain and suffering"

your diet is pretty much a normal diet (i am not referring to weight loss when i state diet)
you have not really made a lifestyle change yourself
you are still addicted to sugar
yet you seem to think you have made a change
that is somehow superior to other peoples lifestyles

Until 6 or so years ago I used to smoke at least a packet of cigarettes a day and get up in the morning and have a marijuana cigarette. When I was younger I was in bars and clubs 7 nights a week drinking. No matter how much I drank I was still underweight because I wouldnt eat as eating would take away the effect of the marijuana. My doctor used to tell me that being underweight is just as bad as overweight.I put on all the extra weight initially when I was given champix medication to give up smoking  and the only thing which would stop the nausea was  eating so I went from 60 kg to 66. It didn't work but  I finally gave it all up 6 years ago I went up to nearly 80kg and then lost it and went to 70kg. I have been clean of everything except a few beers here and there for 5 years. I think I am doing ok. Everyone has their own situation and circumstances. I could easily lose weightcquickly. Just take up drugs again

Edited by Wongkitlo
Edit

On 1/23/2021 at 3:33 AM, Scouse123 said:

I am down 4.5 kilos in three weeks.

I am checking portions and all what I have said and actually I am intermittent fasting because I don't eat after 7pm or eat again until 2pm the following day, or as close as I can. I have broke this a couple of times.

That means my window of eating is like 5 hours, and I am exercising 1.5 hours out of that.

I am drinking 2 in 1 coffee with sweeteners and I do not care that they break the rules. 

Man has to have some pleasures.

You might find eating more protein foods to keep you full longer, if you need to snack, grab a hand full of almonds, go straight for black coffee, if that means changing the brand, do it, the 2 in 1 coffee with sweeteners isn't a good choice and you know it, it defeats the purpose.

I lost 10kg in 4 months, 3 meals a day, no snacking, if I had to, it was a hand full of almonds, or a Greek yogurt with a banana, exercising 45 minutes a day on the treadmill, I went onto lose another 5kg a few months later and 2 years later I have maintained my weight, albeit it does fluctuate when I do spoil myself, but knowing what goes in has to be burnt off is key, otherwise watch it pour back on, so the treadmill burning carbs is a must and is good for your health.

Intermitting farting is also good for you ????

Edited by 4MyEgo

If you shoot for an average of 7+ servings of fruits and vegetables per day, this will crowd out less healthy options, and chances are you'll lose weight. Don't need to count calories, just track your daily servings of fruits and vegetables.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I have said multiple times on this thread there are many individual factors involved. 

I must say that your mention of discipline implies that you believe in the Calvinistic morality game of blaming failures on lack of will power. I think that's bunk. Failures are because what people are doing is simply not sustainable for the long term. Finding individual programs that both work and are sustainable is the trick. A very difficult trick. 

Ok, back to the beginning... It's simple physics. Do not consume more calories than your body burns and you contribute through exercise. Do eat whatever you want and whenever you want it but do not eat more than you burn. Do not count calories on a daily but on a weekly basis, that's good enough. Count calories, be aware what you eat. You'll get some insights over time what's killing your limits and whatnot. You will begin to realize that some stuff just "killed your dinner". You realize the calorie impact of wine and beer and learn to choose between booze or nice stuff to eat. Unfortunately you can have both on very few days only unless you are on a daily 90 minutes vigorous exercise streak. 

Eating is more than adding energy to your body. Limiting consumption time or variety doesn't work for the most. If someone invites me for breakfast I go because I eat at any time of the day. I can go virtually anywhere as I do not limit carbs or other groups of food.  For me eating is a societal exercise and always will be. 

But I learned "calories" over the years, I know how much I eat for most food. I have an idea how much rice/meat/sauce they put on my plate (and sometimes do no eat all). I try to limit meals to no more than 500-600 calories. I wait approx 20 minutes after a portion to see if my body is still hungry. I exercise for 500 cals a day.

I never cut chocolate, cake or other sweets out but I learned only to eat them to the point where I could still have breakfast, lunch and dinner. (I cut heavily on softdrinks & beer though as they virtually ruin any effort) 

Result: I keep my weight in a healthy range, if I need to reduce I cut down to 1500 cals a day (~10000 a week) = 1 KG down every 20 days and let it go as long as it takes. At least it does not interfere with social life than being allowed to consume in heavily restricted times of the day.

13 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

If you shoot for an average of 7+ servings of fruits and vegetables per day, this will crowd out less healthy options, and chances are you'll lose weight. Don't need to count calories, just track your daily servings of fruits and vegetables.

Not exactly.

Some fruits are not helpful because they have a high glycemic index so those should be limited or eliminated.

I dropped 15 kg in around 6 months on a keto diet but a blood test showed I had major cholesterol problems from all the oil involved in doing it, my diabetes was doing great though as was my blood pressure so there are good and bad  involved. Doctor told me to stop doing it and eat properly without over doing it, I have put on 5 kg since but it has been 12 months after  stopping keto, I just have to watch what I do eat and do more exercise but that is hard with my injury so it is one of the reasons I have put weight back on. Eat sensibly, exercise and you can control your weight

13 hours ago, Jingthing said:

On the intermittent fasting topic, of course that's not for everyone either. People need to do their own research. People with certain health conditions shouldn't do it. 

But for people that do find it effective and sustainable, there is another advantage vs. traditional calorie restriction dieting. 

People doing significant calorie restriction whether during weight loss or attempted maintenance are quite often cranky and have mental focus problems because they are hungry.

If you're successfully intermittent fasting, you aren't hungry, you aren't cranky, and you have improved mental focus and energy because you're "eating" plenty during the fasting periods -- of your own fat!

Unlike simply dieting, IF is so effective long term because it can lessen insulin resistance and lower the body's set point. 

The OP and average poster on most forums just repeats, usually mindlessly, the traditional but misleading and unhelpful calories in/calories out myth. Have we had our invocation to the First Law of Thermodynamics yet by our physicists? ????  

You got to get into hormones, man. 

Serious weight-loss gurus should take a look at The Obesity Code (Unlocking the Secrets of Weight Loss) by Jason Fung.

TRADITIONALLY, OBESITY HAS been seen as a result of how people process calories, that is, that a person’s weight could be predicted by a simple equation:

Calories In – Calories Out = Body Fat

This key equation perpetrates what I call the calorie deception. It is dangerous precisely because it appears so simple and intuitive. But what you need to understand is that many false assumptions are built in.

Edited by BigStar
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Unlike simply dieting, IF is so effective long term because it can lessen insulin resistance and lower the body's set point. 

The OP and average poster on most forums just repeats, usually mindlessly, the traditional but misleading and unhelpful calories in/calories out myth. Have we had our invocation to the First Law of Thermodynamics yet by our physicists? ????  

You got to get into hormones, man. 

Serious weight-loss gurus should take a look at The Obesity Code (Unlocking the Secrets of Weight Loss) by Jason Fung.

TRADITIONALLY, OBESITY HAS been seen as a result of how people process calories, that is, that a person’s weight could be predicted by a simple equation:

This key equation perpetrates what I call the calorie deception. It is dangerous precisely because it appears so simple and intuitive. But what you need to understand is that many false assumptions are built in.

Thank you. The simplistic myth presented in the OP is pervasive and orthodox belief in it hurts people.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, patman30 said:

give it a try and see the change for yourself
i started with keto
but now mainly eat carnivore
meat/fish/eggs/dairy etc.
on cheat days i eat keto, maybe nuts, avocado, coconut cream

Starting with keto, just eat as much as you want whenever you want, dont try adjusting to quickly
i done this for a month eating steaks with bacon, melted cheese and fried eggs (in fat)
with whipped cream with pecans and macadamia to quickly quash any cravings
you can also eat berries on keto
then after you get through first month and sugar cravings stop, just work on reducing your eating window
and watch the weight fly off, outside of your eating window, you should consume literally zero cals, water and black coffee/tea only
the longer your intermitant fast the quicker the fat is burned, if you cheat during IF, it is not IF.

It is also much cheaper to eat Carnivore than many people realize.

I’ve tried carnivore before but not mixed with IF

Quite liked it, simple and full all the time. Main problem I had was omega-6 from the pork giving me heartburn, and cooking beef myself isn’t an option 

Is coffee with sweetener allowed on this?

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Intermitting farting is also good for you ????

How much body weight do you lose with that?

I've found sticking to an exercise regime and smaller meal portions on the plate works for me.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

How much body weight do you lose with that?

I've found sticking to an exercise regime and smaller meal portions on the plate works for me.

Yeh but there's nothing better than letting one rip..............never really measured it weight wise, but I'm certain the loud and longer ones are anywhere between 200-300 cals ????

13 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Yeh but there's nothing better than letting one rip..............never really measured it weight wise, but I'm certain the loud and longer ones are anywhere between 200-300 cals ????

I think you are confusing calories with decibels.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

Some of the stuff in this book is correct, but he also says a lot of nonsense, misinterprets studies in an attempt prove his point, and so on.

I wouldn't recommend this book to anybody, too much misleading information. Unless of course somebody wants to have a laugh how somebody like this could become a "bestseller".

Let me just point out the most obvious one:

First he basically says that reducing your calories is the wrong way, because it slows down your metabolism and you can't lose weight this way, but the way to lose weight is to choose the "right" food.

Then you take a look at his suggested meal plans and you notice that his recommendation is something like 500 calories on fasting days and 1500 on non-fasting days (he alternates them).

So he recommends that I eat 1000 calories per day, and says I lose weight because I eat the "right" foods in the "right" time frame, not because I'm in a calorie deficit.

If I'd eat one Big Mac meal (about 1000 calories) per day I would also lose weight, because as always, it's about calories in, calories out.

Edited by jackdd

Some amount of rubbish on this thread.

As some have said : it is "calories in Vs calories out"

It is the only way.

Those saying fasting. How does it make you lose weight? Well, if you only have a short eating window....you are likely to also be in a calorie deficit. Try eating 2500 in one go. Intermittent fasting naturally cuts out a meal, therefore helping with eating less calories.

To those who say running. What do you think you are doing? You are burning off calories, right?

To those who say keto. You are still creating a calorie deficit cos you are cutting out a whole macro nutrient. Try eating 2500 calories of meat and lettuce a day. And also high protein is satiating so you eat less. Calorie deficit.

To the raw veggie crowd. Same. You can fill your entire stomach on 400 calories of vegetables.

All these fad diets do is......help create a calorie deficit. No magic.

Yes, there are other benefits like cellular repair, lower blood sugar, lower cholesterol, healthy gut, lower blood pressure etc etc (depending on which of these diets you choose), but from a weight loss point of view, these fad diets only work by creating a calorie deficit.

And to the lifters, it is the same. The more muscle you build the more calories you burn in a rested state.

Calories in Vs calories out baby.

Edited by 2009