A guide to Thailand’s largest ever vaccination programme

snoop1130

Pfizer-vaccine.jpg

A nurse fills a syringe with a vial of the Pfizer BioNTech vaccine at the Pasteur Institute, in Paris, on January 21, 2021. (Photo by Christophe ARCHAMBAULT / AFP)

Prioritising both safety and speed as it faces a new wave of COVID-19 infections, Thailand is poised to launch its largest ever inoculation programme when the first batch of AstraZeneca vaccine arrives next month.

Contrary to recent reports, China’s CoronaVac is unlikely to be the first COVID-19 vaccine rolled out in Thailand.

“The Public Health Ministry has adjusted the plan because CoronaVac, made by Sinovac, has yet to be registered in China,” Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said this week.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/a-guide-to-thailands-largest-ever-vaccination-programme/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2021-01-22

1 hour ago, WHansen said:

After reading the article, i find myself wondering if an extremely proud man would consider reversing his decision over the planned 112 charges,causing himself a serious loss of face after being backed into a corner, or if he will dig his heels in and the people of Thailand will be forced to wait even longer for  a chance to see their country start to return to normality and repair the terrible consequences of C19 restrictions.

I truly hope this does not affect the Thai people who need the assistance from both sides.

I read the same article and came away noting that there has been no direct word from AZ.  Just the Bangkok Herald's theory that it's the human rights and the charges against issue is the reason for reconsidering.

AstraZeneca executives were said to be unhappy that, on Wednesday, the Digital Economy and Society Ministry filed lese majeste charges against Progressive Movement leader Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit.

"Were said to be unhappy" doesn't sound like a quote on the record.

I can't help but wonder if the Herald is trying to use the public fear of Covid to pressure the gub'ment to drop the charges against Thanathorn, while the real reason for reconsidering is what AZ learned from watching what happened to Rolls Royce.

Anyone know the connection (if any) between the Herald and Thanathorn?  I also noticed the link to the original Matichon article is no longer available...  404 error.

I'm not claiming to know the answer.  Just wanted to start a discussion because I'm curious...

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

The article in the Bangkok Herald is taken from the original article in the Thai media you can use Google translate to get a good idea https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.matichon.co.th/politics/news_2542625

That's the linked article giving me a 404 error.  Maybe because I'm a Covid refuge in the USA?  Is it available in Thailand?

1 minute ago, impulse said:

That's the linked article giving me a 404 error.  Maybe because I'm a Covid refuge in the USA?  Is it available in Thailand?

You're right, I had the link bookmarked in my cache and refreshing it has now gone to 404 error, its been taken down by Matichon, little surprise there then!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

You're right, I had the link bookmarked in my cache and refreshing it has now gone to 404 error, its been taken down by Matichon, little surprise there then!

Yeah.  That means it was probably interesting...  I took a OneNote image of the Herald article.  It may be gone soon, too.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Phaser said:

What a complete cluster - but glad someone finally questioned why the Chinese vaccine was to be distributed and approved but not Moderna or Pfizer. Hopefully AZ will be effective and safe although it has yet to be approved in the USA 

Moderna and Pfizer are the tops right now.  AZ is some 70% effective, the others 95% or so.  But with this new variant that will be dominant very soon, who knows....

• Like 1

Just what are the pro's and con's of taking this vaccine? Does everything go back to normal? Can I stop wearing the mask? Can I go in and out the country without paying high insurance? Will they keep me locked for 14 days when I come in? Just what will the vaccine do for us other than save our lives?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Patanawet said:

"Thailand’s largest ever vaccination programme"

What smaller ones have there been?

Sarcastic 

I guess they have vaccinated in the past for polio etc

Why do expats feel the need to question all that Thais do ?

if you don’t like it here then .......

14 hours ago, Patanawet said:

"Thailand’s largest ever vaccination programme"

What smaller ones have there been?

The existing vaccination programs are intended for children. Total population serviced by  national  program is maybe 15 million.  The Covid19  vaccine will be first for the entire population starting first with 18years+  About  45 million people.  Much bigger population to vaccinate.  Thailand has not undertaken mass vaccination program of this size before this.

12 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Thailands largest ever vaccination plan needs a serious back up...................Astrazeneca reconsidering its partnership with Thailand

"Friday was expected to be a milestone in Thailand’s battle against Covid-19, with Thai officials and executives U.K.’s AstraZeneca Plc. hailing regulatory approval of its coronavirus vaccine. Instead, the news conference was abruptly canceled with the Matichon newspaper reporting that the British-Swiss firm was reconsidering its partnership with the government."

https://bangkokherald.com/coronavirus/astrazeneca-rethinks-thailand-vaccine-plans-amid-govt-prosecution-of-covid-19-critic/

AstraZenica is a British-Swedish firm

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Thailands largest ever vaccination plan needs a serious back up...................Astrazeneca reconsidering its partnership with Thailand

"Friday was expected to be a milestone in Thailand’s battle against Covid-19, with Thai officials and executives U.K.’s AstraZeneca Plc. hailing regulatory approval of its coronavirus vaccine. Instead, the news conference was abruptly canceled with the Matichon newspaper reporting that the British-Swiss firm was reconsidering its partnership with the government."

https://bangkokherald.com/coronavirus/astrazeneca-rethinks-thailand-vaccine-plans-amid-govt-prosecution-of-covid-19-critic/

Looks like classic clickbait to me. AZ contracts are signed and FDA has approved. There is no evidence AZ is reconsidering. Press conference may have been called off for any number of reasons, eg because Taweeslip of CCSA thought he had Covid (later tested negative).

I'm sure that all parties involved including those manufacturing the AZ vaccine as well as AZ themselves, the Thai Government and it's Opposition would not let a conspiracy theory  or profits get in the way of a roll out of millions of jabs to the beleaguered Thai people

41 minutes ago, jollyhangmon said:

Well, AZ seems to cop out, Austrian news report them as saying it will cut their respective stash from over 2 million to 5 or 600k jabs, citing supply difficulties ...  :shock1:  

Most vaccine manufacturers not just AZ are facing supply difficulties in the face of unprecedented demand. Vaccines which normally take a decade to develop are being rolled out in a year, so hardly a surprise.

Some people might argue rich countries should stop moaning about a short delay when they have selfishly prebought all available supply, leaving poorer countries to wait.

But supply difficulties in the EU will likely have little or no impact on supply in Thailand

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Pfizer-vaccine.jpg

A nurse fills a syringe with a vial of the Pfizer BioNTech vaccine at the Pasteur Institute, in Paris, on January 21, 2021. (Photo by Christophe ARCHAMBAULT / AFP)

Prioritising both safety and speed as it faces a new wave of COVID-19 infections, Thailand is poised to launch its largest ever inoculation programme when the first batch of AstraZeneca vaccine arrives next month.

Contrary to recent reports, China’s CoronaVac is unlikely to be the first COVID-19 vaccine rolled out in Thailand.

“The Public Health Ministry has adjusted the plan because CoronaVac, made by Sinovac, has yet to be registered in China,” Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said this week.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/a-guide-to-thailands-largest-ever-vaccination-programme/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2021-01-22

...i see..not registered yet!...hmm.

9 minutes ago, Thaiophil said:

Some people might argue rich countries should stop moaning about a short delay when they have selfishly prebought all available supply, leaving poorer countries to wait.

Thailand is not a poor country.

• Thanks 1