WiFi boosters - Range extenders - whats your experience ?

Do these range boosters or extenders actually do what they claim ?

Do you have one  and how good is it ? Would you recommend one ?

Thanks 

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, they work. Depends on their physical location, the idea being the extender picks up original wifi signal  (or cable) as connection to the internet, then operates as another wifi router.  Its

Better than extenders are mesh systems.   With an extender you need to change from one network name to another to use the extender.  i.e. If the current wifi router is "Home Network" then th

Nice, i got a 8000-9000 bt asus router with high memory and and processor and configurability and of course great wifi.    But I am not the average user got so many devices connected to my i

Posted Images

I have aTP extender which I gave up on, I found the speeds were much less that the input (like 6 times less) on both wifi EXT and cable EXT. I have wondered if theres something in my true router setup that is limiting it. Me and True is a match made to remove years off my life and grumpy episodes. Everything else about the TP including setup (via phone app) was good and they are not expensive.

Edited by Whale
  • Like 1

Using WiFi to connect to extender it was carp (maybe that will get past the banned word sheriff).  But using a physical cable to attach same unit has worked very well (much better than the old spare cable modem it replaced).   TP-Link RE200 AC750

image.jpeg.598c7d2b668a0c586bf90d73e2335600.jpeg

• Like 1

I got an extender too bit more expensive but works good. But personally id first invest in a good router for home. My asus router has a far better range then the router supplied by 3bb. Plus its faster more stable has more configuration options.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
18 minutes ago, robblok said:

I got an extender too bit more expensive but works good. But personally id first invest in a good router for home. My asus router has a far better range then the router supplied by 3bb. Plus its faster more stable has more configuration options.

3BB just came and fitted a new router (free of charge) as I took on Giga TV. It has 6 antennae and seems a lot stronger than the previous one, so my TO extender is now redundant.

Range extenders do tend to work however in my experience the speed is much slower (installed one in my parents house) so gave up on it. Better option in bigger properties is powerline networking to a LAN cable. Powerline networking can also be used as a new WiFi access point too which worked great for us.

Use one that uses the power line for signal transport. You can have one in every room, they work great and are pretty cheap. All you need is the same phase.

Much better than wireless ra(n)ge extenders.

You also have the choice of WiFi or ethernet connection.

• Like 1

I had a TP extender in a bungalow away from the house but on same power supply. The signal amplified to more than double the output of original WiFi modem. Mind you the original modem was old and basic with limited range, but the extender output was far greater, more than double, and testing output using Speedtest app. Buy a well known brand though, otherwise could be a wasted exercise.. 

7 minutes ago, owenm said:

I had a TP extender in a bungalow away from the house but on same power supply. The signal amplified to more than double the output of original WiFi modem. Mind you the original modem was old and basic with limited range, but the extender output was far greater, more than double, and testing output using Speedtest app. Buy a well known brand though, otherwise could be a wasted exercise.. 

I can see that the strength of the signal coming from the extender could be greater, but how can it increase the speed. What goes in must come out and if your original old router was only pumping out say 50Mb/s, then so will the extender. No?

I can only speak of an extender I used in California. We were using Xfinity wifi, and one room received no signal. I installed an extender and, in line of sight, it worked very well.