WiFi boosters - Range extenders - whats your experience ?

CharlieH

1 hour ago, SePl said:

how do you set up this please ?

nobody here seems to know what you are talking about.

Huh? Mesh networks have been around for years and whilst a little on the expensive side are reasonably simple to set-up... 

Google is your friend https://sea.pcmag.com/networking/30610/how-to-set-up-a-wi-fi-mesh-network

Netgear makes some decent kit, here's a YT vid on how to set-up their Orbi units 

NB If you do just want an Extender, I would go for either the Plugs that extend over your power supply or something like the TP-Link RE450, AC175...  https://www.lazada.co.th/products/lt-tp-link-re450-ac1750-wi-fi-range-extender-repeater-network-salestore-i336956546-s652300186.html?exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:1498579383!58089999096!!!pla-294682000766!c!294682000766!652300186!120267462&gclid=Cj0KCQiA0rSABhDlARIsAJtjfCcl3VZmzA_i_IjZ0QvoORNG59Pz9I19zLuwDKYPIXe7pRubsZjyIOAaAkomEALw_wcB

... I had one of these when I had a duplex in Singapore & with the router being downstairs, I couldn't access WIFI from the master bedroom/upstairs balcony, worked seamlessly so even if I was on a video call, I could go upstairs without interruption.

I don't recall having to have a different network name from the home network for the extender, pretty sure I just extended the "home network", I certainly didn't get a drop out when moving between the 2 & was using some network sensitive stuff like being logged into a VPN and/or a Horizon desktop for work which are both very sensitive to any changes in the network. 

EDIT: Should add that in the vast majority of cases, upgrading your router will solve your problems and you won't need an extender, it's only if you have a large (say 2000sqf+) place or really thick walls (I once lived in a Condo which had a "Saferoom" in the line-of-sight between where I had to have the router & the master bedroom so had to have an extender to "Bounce" the signal around the "saferoom")  that you really need them. 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure you experts know what your talking about when it comes to Mesh Networks.

A Mesh network requires a base and 2, 4,  6 extensions.  If you add a Mesh to a non Mesh network, it won't work properly. The technology is different and expensive. You cab get a cheap one [base + 2 extensions] for about B5000. But a good current system is 8000 and up.

One of the best available is the Linksys Velop Tri-Band AX4200 Whole Home Mesh Router WiFi 6 System.  About $500.  B15,000

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, wpcoe said:

And, here I thought I was the last person on the planet to know about mesh networks. ????

I've heard of mesh for a few years and never understood it either until a few months ago when I googled the topic (hint, hint) and learned a bit.

While it is more expensive than a basic "WiFi extender," there is that tradeoff between cost and flexibility to roam your house/business more easily.

In the reviews I read, most of them recommended D-Link, TP-Link and TrendNet for beginners.  Here are two systems that I consider reasonably priced on InvadeIT:  TP link for B2090 and D-Link for B3390. There is another system for B1490 but I've never heard of "Mercusys" and I subscribe to the "you get what you pay for" philosophy.

A basic system is for two units, though you can keep adding more if your situation requires it.  However, if you currently are on a single-router non-mesh system, a two-unit mesh system is probably the best place to start, and may well be all you need.

You pay more for mesh systems if you need something like gigabit Ethernet ports, 802.11ax WiFi, or tri-band WiFi.  (If you don't know what those are, you probably don't need them, but with gigabit fiber optic internet service being more widely available you might want to learn about them for maximum speed throughout your home/business.)

And, yes, a mesh system will *replace* your current WiFi configuration rather than *adding to* it.  (Unless you already have a mesh-capable router, like an EXO Smart Mesh Wi-Fi Router.)

You are certainly not the last , please enroll  me in the Mesh Network Ignoramus club also LOL . I can take a hint, and googled it and I am reading up on it as we talk. 

We are in the US right now we will be back in the next few months as soon as covid alowes . In Thailand we have 3bb , 

I am looking at this unit at Amazon. What do you Think?  Will it replace my 3bb router or work with it? 

image.png.d2f36d272834ce60207a2663f07cf059.png

PS: concerning the above mashed WiFi. I have been reading about it and I am a bit confused. 

Do I connect it to out existing 3BB router, or does this system replaces the 3BB router,

I need it to give me seamless WiFi upstairs ,downstairs  and to my wife's sister next door , not too far away. , she now get's our WiFi by her front door,

we get adequate WiFi upstairs, but not so good downstairs and in the yard.

image.png.1cec88bce7a206f30a1499bfd942a61b.png

and the sisters house next door(picture from when we first build the house, now there are a few fruit trees between our house and hers)

Thank you in advance.????

image.png.6dd030ed3a2c99dcf46d0e6738aecc3c.png

8 hours ago, sirineou said:

PS: concerning the above mashed WiFi. I have been reading about it and I am a bit confused. 

Do I connect it to out existing 3BB router, or does this system replaces the 3BB router,

I need it to give me seamless WiFi upstairs ,downstairs  and to my wife's sister next door , not too far away. , she now get's our WiFi by her front door,

we get adequate WiFi upstairs, but not so good downstairs and in the yard.

and the sisters house next door(picture from when we first build the house, now there are a few fruit trees between our house and hers)

Thank you in advance.????

I haven't yet established a mesh network, so all my "knowledge" is "theoretical."   I bought an old house to be totally gutted and renovated and it will be where I first experience meshing.  It is a small house with only two mesh routers, and I'm going to have Ethernet pre-wired to connect them.

That said, I *think* you need to keep your 3BB router and connect it to the first mesh router.  The reason I think that is that ISPs need username/password credentials to be verified and I don't think the mesh routers can do that.  If someone knows differently, *please* join this conversation and clarify that point.

Especially on the less expensive mesh systems without tri-band WiFi, you will get best throughput if you can connect the mesh nodes via Ethernet cabling.  But, even without direct cabling, a system of mesh routers will extend the range of what the single 3BB router provides.

Here's a Youtube video showing one person's anecdotal experience, and I've read other accounts that generally support his findings:  

My understanding is if you want top speed from even the farthest mesh node, you need to either hard-wire them together (Ethernet cabling) or use a more sophisticated (more expensive) system with tri-band WiFi where (if I understand it correctly) the third WiFi frequency is used solely for traffic management between nodes leaving the other two frequencies (the traditional 2.4 & 5.0 GHz channels) available exclusively for data traffic.  Also, support for 802.11ax should boost speed over 802.11ac, but again at a cost.

If your sister-in-law currently can get your WiFi signal by the front door, you could place a mesh router there and project the signal deeper into the house where yet another mesh router could distribute it.

PS:  Since you have 3BB, have you investigated their mesh product offering?

PPS:  I see that B&H Photo has that TP-Link system for US$130 now, and yes, I think that's a decent system. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

If my reading right that would be 300/300 service for 750 baht per month so likely not much more than paying now (if at all) as long as you use it for the required year contract.

If I were in a 3BB service area with 1000/500 fibre service for B700, I think I'd rather get third-party hardware like TP-Link.  But, I'm probably more adventurous than many customers who would highly value the 3BB support setting things up and troubleshooting when things don't work right.  I'm assuming that the customer has to return the hardware if they cancel or don't renew the contract.

most routers have wireless "Bridge mode" (boost)
works the same way, you will probably get better signal off a router
if you have any old or unused routers check if they have Brdige mode and you can use them
(or you could extend to them with Lan cable)

41 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

I'm assuming that the customer has to return the hardware if they cancel or don't renew the contract.

Both that and payment of normal installation fees (which are normally not charged if have contract for one year and it early).

Edited by lopburi3

11 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Both that and payment of normal installation fees (which are normally not charged if have contract for one year and it early).

If the user completes the first year contract but does not renew, do they get to keep the hardware?

15 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

If my reading right that would be 300/300 service for 750 baht per month so likely not much more than paying now (if at all) as long as you use it for the required year contract.

Thank you, 

That is a good suggestion and I will look in to it. Not only I am not adventurous, but  part of the year we are not in Thailand and I want the WiFi up to be able and connect to out wifi enabled camera security system, and other wifi enabled components .so it would be good if there is a problem for 3BB to come and take care of it.  ????

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Pro1Expat said:

A question I always ask is why do you want an extender? If it is for a normal sized house just get a a small w-fi unit and set it up as an extender TP-Link will do the job

I want WiFi downstairs because that's where I always hung out. and I want it to reach my sister in-laws house so that she can use it, and to communicate with her  when we are not there, (she looks after or dogs , the car and the house). Also  I want it to reach the front gate so that I can install a wifi enabled smart switch to it and use my phone to open it and close it.

3 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I want WiFi downstairs because that's where I always hung out. and I want it to reach my sister in-laws house so that she can use it, and to communicate with her  when we are not there, (she looks after or dogs , the car and the house). Also  I want it to reach the front gate so that I can install a wifi enabled smart switch to it and use my phone to open it and close it.

Is the router you currently have transmitting at maximum power? They can be set for Low, Medium and High power. Worth checking before you buy an extender unit.

What distance are you talking about?

Edited by Pro1Expat
  • Thanks 1