BTS: Cheap or expensive? Comparisons with foreign systems point to bad deal in Bangkok

rooster59

4 hours ago, KamnanT said:

I think they are suggesting the opposite: that the BTS not charge based on distance (like a taxi) but a flat fare as in cities like New York. Problem with this is that passengers travelling short distances would in essence be subsidising those that travel a long distance. Maybe this has some social merit, maybe not.

A third option would be for the government to heavily subsidise the entire system and make fares low enough that the BTS/MRT/SRT networks become so affordable that no one even questions that it the cheapest way to travel (like Singapore).  Of course, it's hard to afford such subsidies when there are submarines, aircraft carriers and dirigibles to be paid for.

And you forget about the new spaceships to fly to the beaches on the sun .. They will have the Thai fares and the double up for falangs

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, blackcab said:

So by this logic a taxi should take me to Hua Hin for the same price as a trip just around the corner.

I'm all for it. Where do I sign up?

They will but you have to buy a suit and stop by his cousin's gem shop on the way.

2 hours ago, Zack61 said:

In Melbourne Australia, if I’m not mistaken, a daily ticket max”s out at $9aud for the longer trips across 2 zones. 200 baht or 30 minutes of minimum wage. Great value and very comfortable outside of peak hours and footie matches at the MCG. Will be even better when they extend to the airport. 

And Zone 1 (the city centre) is free.

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Information online suggests that the minimum daily wage in Bangkok is 331 baht. That would mean a worker might have to put in around three hours hard labor just to get to work.

And another 3 hours to get home?

Make it more expensive and everybody will go take a taxi or their own car , like there is not enough traffic and airpolution already . Make it very inexpensive or even free and it will take a load of the trafficjams and airpolution side so that will save costs in other ways . 

Isn't  there a discounted fare structure if you use a Rabbit pass? Haven't  used BTS personally since my wife got her license and a car.

That would be a better comparison, to other types of transpo available in BKK. Cars are not cheap to buy or operate. Motorbikes are a bit cheaper, but hellishly dangerous here.

Perhaps a subsidized fare structure for low wage workers could be worked out?

8 hours ago, xtof2 said:

Are these guys have any touch with reality ????

Bangkok Governor, what a shame!

I doubt thai generals (by the way, on what battlefield did they get those stars?) take public transport. They are chauffeured around. You wouldn't want them to mix with the rabble, now would you?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KamnanT said:

I think they are suggesting the opposite: that the BTS not charge based on distance (like a taxi) but a flat fare as in cities like New York. Problem with this is that passengers travelling short distances would in essence be subsidising those that travel a long distance. Maybe this has some social merit, maybe not.

A third option would be for the government to heavily subsidise the entire system and make fares low enough that the BTS/MRT/SRT networks become so affordable that no one even questions that it the cheapest way to travel (like Singapore).  Of course, it's hard to afford such subsidies when there are submarines, aircraft carriers and dirigibles to be paid for.

I had no idea that Thailand ws buying dirigibles !  Where are they coming from ?

This isn't a matter of is Baht 104 to high.   It is a case of, if you live that far out then the associated costs are lower so why should those living closer and having higher costs subsidies the cost of those living further out.

This article ignores the comparative cost of living at different points on the Green lane.

Any comparison to places outside Thailand is irrelevant as COL is dramatically different to those within this country. 

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, keith101 said:

Is this price one way or return , if only one way then people shouldn't use it at all , nobody should be expected to pay two thirds of a daily wage just to travel to work and back .

It is one way, from one end to another. However, most people would not do the trip all the way, so for most going from suburbs to centre, it would be probably 1/2 to 2/3 of that. Still a lot compared to buses that cost a fraction of that. Taxis are more expensive, but if 2-3 people share a cab, it actually becomes cheaper than BTS, and considerably more comfortable.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Estrada said:

The New York flat fare for a single ticket was $3.00 (B100), not $2.75 and similar to the BTS, its' fare will shortly be increased to $4.00 (B122). The fact is that that the New York Metro was built in 1904 and is aging considerably, consequently there have been 64 major accidents on the system. It does not have modern signaling systems on all its' system, like the BTS has. If there was a flat fare of B30 the whole system would be overcrowded and without any profit, the maintenance of the system would suffer and trains, stations etc would start falling apart with frequent breakdowns, the same as the BMTA buses and SRT trains. 

I know, from experience that the NYC subway is not exactly the most reliable or safe however it does get you from A to B at a reasonable cost 24/7. By comparison the Thai network is ultimately safe and reliable however it is comparatively expensive. Although the Thai network only operates from 05:00-24:00hrs. I thinks the term relevant here is "mass transit" and IMO the Bangkok system is not that yet. Question is what would realy happen if fixed fares in BKK... Reduced reliabilty or less profit for the operators?   

5 hours ago, EricTh said:

A country's train fare should be based on the average salary in one's country. 

You can't convert the fare from one currency to another while ignoring the fact that the wages in western countries are much higher than in Thailand.

For around $3, it is much cheaper than the exorbitant train fare in Thailand. No wonder the traffic jam in Bangkok is horrendous and the taxis keep ripping off foreigners.

Sir, you have nailed my point exactly. The BTS/MRT fare here in Bangkok should be much lower due to significantly lower operating costs. But Bangkok to Pattaya by SRT train for a 4 hour ride is actually only 31 Baht. I do, however, disagree with taxis ripping off foreigners (in Bangkok at least). My experience over the last 10 years has been very few refusal of fares or fixed fare demands. Nowadays with Grab and Bolt the fare is agreed in advance and in Covid times there is never any question.

Edited by soi3eddie

7 hours ago, cucme said:

In Berlin they are discussing free public transport like in other German cities.

How about that?

Nothing is free. Surely the costs will come out of the pockets of all tax payers. Hardly seems right and/or fair.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Estrada said:

The New York flat fare for a single ticket was $3.00 (B100), not $2.75 and similar to the BTS, its' fare will shortly be increased to $4.00 (B122). The fact is that that the New York Metro was built in 1904 and is aging considerably, consequently there have been 64 major accidents on the system. It does not have modern signaling systems on all its' system, like the BTS has. If there was a flat fare of B30 the whole system would be overcrowded and without any profit, the maintenance of the system would suffer and trains, stations etc would start falling apart with frequent breakdowns, the same as the BMTA buses and SRT trains. 

NYC FARE $2.75

Subway fare is $2.75*, payable with MetroCard. People 65 years or older and people with qualifying disabilities who show a proper form of identification (including Reduced-Fare MetroCard or a Medicare card) are eligible for reduced fare. * The cost of a SingleRide ticket is $3.00. Sold at vending machines only.

13 hours ago, DaLa said:

They forget to mention that the London underground is a huge con trick. You walk down some steps, then walk half a kilometre in a tunnel full of poor musicians. Finally you enter a large hall with antique one arm bandits  that don't give change. Then you travel for 5 minutes down an escalator, walk another 200 metres and wait for a train.

You get on that train and try not to look at anyone for 10 minutes, exit the train and walk another 200 metres to another escalator where you rise up to another platform and catch another train.

Repeat the last part and then walk another half kilometre through tunnels full of the other half of the band waiting to hit the big time. Not far now , just walk up 100 steps and you’re out on the street…...only 1 kilometre from where you started.

sounds good to me ????????????????????

19 hours ago, DaLa said:

They forget to mention that the London underground is a huge con trick. You walk down some steps, then walk half a kilometre in a tunnel full of poor musicians. Finally you enter a large hall with antique one arm bandits  that don't give change. Then you travel for 5 minutes down an escalator, walk another 200 metres and wait for a train.

You get on that train and try not to look at anyone for 10 minutes, exit the train and walk another 200 metres to another escalator where you rise up to another platform and catch another train.

Repeat the last part and then walk another half kilometre through tunnels full of the other half of the band waiting to hit the big time. Not far now , just walk up 100 steps and you’re out on the street…...only 1 kilometre from where you started.

This is Thailand. Perhaps vent on a UK blog.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DaLa said:

So.....that's the reason so many Londoners are living in Thailand...the bloody underground!

• Haha 1