TAT forced to face reality: more than a third of the Thai tourist industry has gone bust

rooster59

5 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

i assume he'll be doing the decent thing and stepping down?

lol

he'd rather make all the cronies around him step down who heftily applauded his way-out ideas and figures - "it is THEM who are responsible" (Thai Culture...)

2 hours ago, Percy P said:

That can't be done. Restrictions are necessary to keep the Virus at bay. I'm  a tourist and quite content in having to adhere to government restrictions. How many cases  were found of people in quarantine.

Explained in my earlier post why they're not necessary. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Bank than my company has been with for 12 years advised “ we do not lend or provide any line of credit to any business tourism related”

thanks for nothing after 12 years 

soft loans supposedly provided by the government during first lockdown through SME bank , sorry you do not have enough profit . Well doh, if we did , we would not be needing loans.

BOT said soft loans for all affected , SME could not care less, where did 40-50 billion baht of governing soft loans gone ?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

TAT forced to face reality: more than a third of the Thai tourist industry has gone bust

thumbnail-4a1a09451f7cae7df5c47964558674d5-scaled-e1592327177538.jpeg

Image: Reuters

The Tourism Authority of Thailand are having to face reality after one of their own surveys showed them their rose tinted view was a complete sham.

Earlier in the week TAT governor Yutthasak Suphasorn - author of the failed STV scheme - claimed that 10 million foreign tourists would be arriving from midyear and, along with Thais, would be spending 1.2 TRILLION baht on the tourist industry this year.

This was greeted with incredulity in many areas.

Now the starry eyed governor has had to admit that little might be left of the tourist industry even if people worldwide start to travel again. A highly debatable question.

A TAT survey between January 10 and 12 asked 1,884 businesses how they were getting along. 

34.66% said they had already shut down and gone out of business.

Those that were left begged him to provide emergency assistance on utility bills and for staff wages.

Without this help they feared that they too would go under.

The TAT surveyed businesses in the areas of accommodation, travel firms, restaurants, vehicle rental companies and public transport businesses, reported Thai media.

The message came back loud and clear.

We've either gone bust or will do without immediate help.

A far cry from the governor's optimistic outlook just a few days before.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-01-23

...you only just got it !!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Either fling the doors open now with testing at the airport as Malaysia does or watch the whole shibang go down the toilet.....  It's a sad fact but the individuals in power had no idea how much Thailand relies on tourists.......   And forget the Chinese fairy story, China won't be allowing mass tourism to Thailand in the near future.......  Up to you lads........  Open up, or it'll be the last flight out of Dodge........ 

You know they will never open up as an outbreak will make them lose face and possibly even control over the masses. Hey, both those things will probably happen anyway.

A few things that I read yesterday from UK papers and Disclose.tv. Mass tourism is finished, it may start up again but only after 80%+ of western European countries have been vaccinated, which with supply problems will be the whole of 2021 if not into 2022. Boris has said quite a few times recently that the UK needs to protect it's vaccination program and I've heard Spain say the same. Only safe countries that have had 80%+ vaccination will be allowed for travel and countries that have had "mutant" strains will be on the red list until proved safe.

In regards to Thailand, it doesn't matter if they drop quarantine or not, you will probably have to quarantine when you get back to your home country Australia style. There is no let up in Europe with this and suspect the USA will go the same way. The party is well and truly over.

I think quarantine in Thailand is looking very attractive right now and making it permanent, western Europe and the UK are finished.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The government from high up down have absolutely no vision. They have not prepared themselves, they have not helped their own people, a complete failure . It will only get worse. They have been used to using tourist spending to cover up for their past monumental mistakes. Now the tap is turned off. 

• Like 2

They do not give a damn about what is happening to people here. One year with no relief package. 

As long as there is money to be stolen they will continue the destruction path in the name of covid-19.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bermondburi said:

It's only people living in the coconut shell that is thailand who believe the 14 day thing is the only way to go. It's not. There are other ways that work too. We just have to learn to live with this virus. 

i have no idea how this 14 day thing started floating. RT PCR is a highly sensitive test. 14 day incubation period was recommended for the appearance of symptoms, But when there is an rt pcr gold standard test , the 14 day seems weird, 14 day is for symptoms but so many rtpcr positive people never ever show any symptoms. but who will tell it to dinosaurs. 

may be ASQ is a good money making scheme for some. 

5 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

its too late. china won't allow anyone to travel, uk are talking quarantine hotels or total ban, europe talking mandatory quarantine or total ban non-eu residents, with policy decisions to be made this coming week. the americans never came here in big numbers anyway (and prefer mexico/caribbean). so who does that leave? the russians? indians?

its done. over.

2022 at the earliest. AND that assumes that vaccines won't need to be administered annually! or mutations force multiple shots per year.

good luck getting 8 billion people vaccinated every year ????

this goose is cooked.

Yeah it's over. The vaccines are not the silver bullet and I never thought they were. Anyway I have my own theories on what is happening and why. Can't do anything in the UK and it seems like it's endless too.

I am not surprised - the crash will continue given there is no plan whatsoever for bringing

the hospitality industry back to  life back. Extremely erratic government mandates.

Very desperate to see in Chiang Mai - Le Meridien is dark - an occasional room or two occupied -

ever since bars were closed and restaurants were forbidden to serve alcohol. This part of the city was

coming back to life - live on the streets again, then the latest edict.  Not the fault of

TAT, other than a desperate hope it would change.  No need for Chiang Mai hospitality

industry to be shut down again, very few cases of Covid active in the city.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bermondburi said:

Explained in my earlier post why they're not necessary. 

Disagree Self Isolation doesn't work in Thailland, they tried it begining on March last year at people didn't self isolate they just carry on regardless going to bars and resturants 

There has been at least 20 people jailed on the Isle of Man for breaching  Covid quarantine rules.

7 hours ago, redwood1 said:

When 7-11s, Burger Kings, and Starbucks are closing down all over the place, the situation is not just bad its desperate and getting worse all the time.....Only removing all restrictions for tourist 100% could turn things around....

And bring in tourists from countries with high rates of virus? As has been seen this week here in Australia, all the athletes and their entourages were tested before they departed and on arrival and a decent number of them have only tested positive multiple days after arrival. 

Bring in tens of thousands of tourists with just a PCR test and Thailand will be locking down again a month or so later ????????‍♂️

Plus many countries restrict travel and require quarantine on return. So it’s hardly going to be inviting. 

• Like 1