Website virtually unusable

koratkarlos

Yesterday I posted in Computers/AV a post regarding what happened to the ThaiVisa website.  It is now dominated so much by advertising that content does not show.  I thought this was a problem with my cell phone but the same thing is happening on my laptop, which is up to date with a good internet connection.

And my post was closed although people were responding.

It was not meant to be critical or derogatory in any way as I regard Thaivisa as a valuable resource that improves my retired life here in Thailand.  

And I truly hope that there is a technical glitch somewhere that will allow for more content/less advertising to display.  Or that someone figures out that maybe I am doing something wrong.

But I am afraid that in these difficult times people just care about trying to make a few bucks and disregard content.  It really is getting out of control - on google and youtube too.  And probably commercial TV.

Is what we really want to do just sell each other all the time.  

So I plan to give Thaivisa another week.  Hopefully there is a glitch or something.  But if the existing dominance of advertising persists I will travel onwards.

• Like 1

adblock software can help but you have to get used to the idea that free has overheads that have to be paid for somehow. Making sure that you click on advertising, even by mistake,  brings in revenue and pays wages as does regular advertising or sponsorship of parts of the site. sometimes its annoying but often main software upgrades play havoc with aspects of sites until addons catch up. 

2 hours ago, koratkarlos said:

Yesterday I posted in Computers/AV a post regarding what happened to the ThaiVisa website.  It is now dominated so much by advertising that content does not show.  I thought this was a problem with my cell phone but the same thing is happening on my laptop, which is up to date with a good internet connection.

And my post was closed although people were responding.

It was not meant to be critical or derogatory in any way as I regard Thaivisa as a valuable resource that improves my retired life here in Thailand.  

And I truly hope that there is a technical glitch somewhere that will allow for more content/less advertising to display.  Or that someone figures out that maybe I am doing something wrong.

But I am afraid that in these difficult times people just care about trying to make a few bucks and disregard content.  It really is getting out of control - on google and youtube too.  And probably commercial TV.

Is what we really want to do just sell each other all the time.  

So I plan to give Thaivisa another week.  Hopefully there is a glitch or something.  But if the existing dominance of advertising persists I will travel onwards.

Let me know if you have the same issues when using the Brave Browser: https://brave.com

Once installed, go in to Settings to enable all of it's safety features and to disable it's Rewards feature(until you feel ready to enable it; if one is ever ready to do such a thing).

3 hours ago, transam said:

Perhaps you should fool around with software to fix your woes, as I do not have any of your issues....????

While specifically not spelling out what is needed, it’s the only way to get a halfway decent experience, the newer iOS versions have some help built in and there’re a few apps that assist on the App Store.

25 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Let me know if you have the same issues when using the Brave Browser: https://brave.com

Once installed, go in to Settings to enable all of it's safety features and to disable it's Rewards feature(until you feel ready to enable it; if one is ever ready to do such a thing).

Does Brave browser stop the continuous flow of ads, many of which make it difficult to easily read text passages etc?