Can these doors be removed for cleaning?

MaiDong

If they are the same as mine they have 2 screws that secure a metal plate with a hinge pin that locates into a plastic bush, 1 at the top & 1 at the bottom, remove the 2 screws from the top and the door can be separated from the plate then the door can be removed out of the lower hinge fitting/ bush, when refitting do not tighten the screws too much as they can strip easily. 

The screen can be removed if that is any help ??

Open the door and pull GENTLY on the surround holding the screen in place, pull halfway down the door, but DO BE GENTLE !!

21E10499-996F-47CF-8501-4EA8757922A8.thumb.jpeg.91de8a52df6850543d77c1aefe2b79bb.jpeg

I also have a stand alone unit:

6C10EA41-AD12-4EC7-9AF8-817EE88B35CE.thumb.jpeg.bed5760c22021f4c1e503f60780c6c37.jpeg

and the screen/glass can be removed in the same way.

5EFF4C83-7AE6-4837-823C-51DFAF99238E.thumb.jpeg.ee2f2d4eeabd28df30b00854947a1c1d.jpeg

Can I chip in with related question. I have same doors in a concrete bench Thai kitchen.

Anyway did make over re tiling and a western kitchen etc. So the only thing that's horrible is the outdated King style doors. 40x60cm

Mine appear not removable. Has anyone done a cover up by placing ply (thin) or something similar to door front.

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Can I chip in with related question. I have same doors in a concrete bench Thai kitchen.

Anyway did make over re tiling and a western kitchen etc. So the only thing that's horrible is the outdated King style doors. 40x60cm

Mine appear not removable. Has anyone done a cover up by placing ply (thin) or something similar to door front.

Post a few pictures of what you’ve got and what you want to achieve. Then we can advise.

15 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Post a few pictures of what you’ve got and what you want to achieve. Then we can advise.

Thanks.

Yes I could have removed/replaced door units.

There is western style kitchen opposite wall.

So only the old doors are an eyesore.

Its intended as a rental so the aim was a makeover rather than complete gut and replace

Screenshot_20210123-194056.png

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Thanks.

Its intended as a rental so the aim was a makeover rather than complete gut and replace

Screenshot_20210123-194056.png

I would check to see if replacement units are available and prices, unless the doors are in great condition apart from the handles. Swapping out doors is likely to be cheaper and look better than trying to put a wood skin on them.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

would check to see if replacement units are available and prices, unless the doors are in great condition apart from the handles. Swapping out doors is likely to be cheaper and look better than trying to put a wood skin on them.

Yes I agree.

Since post I was looking across at my black glass fridge. Wonder if a 400x600 glass toughened is too heavy to attach to door front.

On left of bench doors will be black fridge and to the right under bench oven also black glass.

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Thanks.

Is that granite you have used to cover the old tiles?

6 hours ago, uncleP said:

to clean use oxygen cleaner and 12% peroxide (used by hairdressers) mix together and wipe on leave for 5 mins and wipe off. mine went from yellow to white ???????? 

Can you post a photo of this 'oxygen cleaner' please? Our bathroom door frames are yellowing, I find it the most ugly of the upvc ugly traits... 

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes I agree.

Since post I was looking across at my black glass fridge. Wonder if a 400x600 glass toughened is too heavy to attach to door front.

On left of bench doors will be black fridge and to the right under bench oven also black glass.

Assuming that the doors are the standard plastic ones anything thicker than 3mm plywood is too heavy. ???? 

Your only other option (if you can get the old doors out and put them back) is to take them out to clean them to degrees, then use a black automotive spray paint. You will need to test a small patch on the back to make sure that the paint doesn’t melt the plastic.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Assuming that the doors are the standard plastic ones anything thicker than 3mm plywood is too heavy. ???? 

Your only other option (if you can get the old doors out and put them back) is to take them out to clean them to degrees, then use a black automotive spray paint. You will need to test a small patch on the back to make sure that the paint doesn’t melt the plastic.

While the style of the doors is a little antiquated it is the colour that stands out most.

I agree that painting the doors is a good option and I would go for either of the colours of the surrounding tile, make them blend in a little and not such a focal point when you walk in the room.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

While the style of the doors is a little antiquated it is the colour that stands out most.

I agree that painting the doors is a good option and I would go for either of the colours of the surrounding tile, make them blend in a little and not such a focal point when you walk in the room.

If they're flat enough you could re-skin them

4 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The paint option is best and to avoid the risk of acrylic-based paints reacting with the plastic, I recommend the rubberized paints that are commonly used by those tarting up their old motors or rims. There's a range of colors including white, grey, black and the fluorescent ones as well.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/bosny-elastic-dip-peelable-spray-paint-400-ml-i154719524-s386171604.html

I doubt very much you will clean the yellowing from plastic without an abrasive of some kind. 

Unless the yellowing is from smoking or kitchen grease or some other contaminant. 

Edited by Yellowtail
clarity

11 minutes ago, MaiDong said:

Thanks, I'll give that a go, I'll be impressed if it whites the yellows, I thought the yellowing was the plastic leeching it's oils, not simply discolouring.

don't forget the 12% peroxide which is basically a bleach. 

11 minutes ago, MaiDong said:

Thanks, I'll give that a go, I'll be impressed if it whites the yellows, I thought the yellowing was the plastic leeching it's oils, not simply discolouring.

Let me know if it works, I'll be happy to eat my words!