Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere, but I apologize for not finding it.....

 

Anyway, at the u-turn cut on a superhiway, when my surveillance detects a car coming mach2 -- blinking his lights -- this obviously means yield to him. No brainer, as you can detect he's really moving fast.

What about on city streets, where your movement has really slowed, and someone from a side street wants to merge? Does blinking my lights mean, no way -- I'm coming through (albeit at a crawl)? Or, as I'm going at a crawl mean: Ok, buddy, I'm letting you in?

In the States, blinking your lights means: I'm letting you in. Or, on the hiway -- look out for a speedtrap ahead.

Thus, being confused on light blinking, I just wave my hand in front of my windshield to indicate I'm letting the merging car in. But, a blink of the lights would be more efficient -- but I'm just not sure of how it would be interpreted...

Comments?

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My first time in Thailand on a motorbike, waiting to turn right across the traffic and the car coming towards me flashed his lights so I pulled across........could have been very nasty.

In the UK flashing lights means I'm letting you out in Thailand it means I'm coming through, you better get out my way.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JAS21 said:

Most of us learn pretty quick, that the flash of the headlights Does not mean ... after you sir...

Yeah your right,   I  say you gonna drive in another country do some research. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JAS21 said:

Most of us learn pretty quick, that the flash of the headlights Does not mean ... after you sir...

Right, which I pointed out has been my observation for years. But the other day, in slow traffic, I saw a light blink that indicated, and was accepted as such, an offer to join main traffic from a side street. Was thus curious about whether or not I had been missing something...... Nevertheless, I just might, in the future, if traffic is completely at a standstill, assume a light blink is telling me I can enter the flow in front of the blinking car. Or maybe not..... Who cares -- it's been a slow day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Right, which I pointed out has been my observation for years. But the other day, in slow traffic, I saw a light blink that indicated, and was accepted as such, an offer to join main traffic from a side street. Was thus curious about whether or not I had been missing something...... Nevertheless, I just might, in the future, if traffic is completely at a standstill, assume a light blink is telling me I can enter the flow in front of the blinking car. Or maybe not..... Who cares -- it's been a slow day.

That was probably me, were you coming out to the hospital....onto ChaengWattana Road

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ThaIrish Sean said:

My first time in Thailand on a motorbike, waiting to turn right across the traffic and the car coming towards me flashed his lights so I pulled across........could have been very nasty.

In the UK flashing lights means I'm letting you out in Thailand it means I'm coming through, you better get out my way.

It has become common usage, but the Highway Code still says:

 

Rule 110 of the Highway Code states: “Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. “Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users.”

 

Personally, I think the UK/US use is preferable but, obviously can't be done here.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

It has become common usage, but the Highway Code still says:

 

Rule 110 of the Highway Code states: “Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. “Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users.”

 

Personally, I think the UK/US use is preferable but, obviously can't be done here.

Its a silly but valid topic..... can mean anything in an international place like Phuket I guess and thus useless.....n and even if it did mean a certain thing the natives woulded adhere to it, look at the blinkers constantly flashing... they over take my truck all the time despite blinkiers braklights flashing then wonder why they get swuashed against the wall...   yeah brainless but its what it is..

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/01/2021 at 10:38 AM, chickenslegs said:

It has become common usage, but the Highway Code still says:

 

Rule 110 of the Highway Code states: “Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. “Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users.”

 

Personally, I think the UK/US use is preferable but, obviously can't be done here.

I never flash my lights in the UK...... Anymore.

25-30 years ago I flashed one person to turn across me into a road and another person came out of the said road and there was an accident.

Flashing lights is seen by everybody, and everybody could take it is meant for them.

A wave of the hand is all they get these days.

Edited by ThaIrish Sean
Link to post
Share on other sites

When someone flashes their headlights in Thailand means ‘I’m an a$$hole and I’m forcing my way through’...

 

It’s commonly used when someone is ‘breaking usual right of way rules’  and they know they are doing so !!

 

Its also commonly used when someone is about to pull out from a junction or turn across someones path and instead of lifting off the accelerator or gently applying the brakes the driver of the oncoming car accelerates and aggressively flashes the headlights as if to say ‘don’t you dare have the audacity to pull out in front of me’...

 

Its also commonly used on the expressway by total and complete a$$hats when you are in the right most lane passing traffic in the second (central lane), you are travelling at about 120-140km, but that doesn’t matter, you are in front of then.. the flashing lights means “I’m an impatient, petulant halfwit but think I’m important, get out of my way” !!! 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been my experience that flashing lights from oncoming traffic is a warning of checkpoint ahead, when I've got oncoming car passing in my lane I flick my lights.

 

In the US it's not healthy to flash lights at another car as you risk the chance of them shooting. 

Edited by EVENKEEL
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2021 at 10:38 AM, chickenslegs said:

It has become common usage, but the Highway Code still says:

 

Rule 110 of the Highway Code states: “Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. “Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users.”

 

Didn't know there was a "highway code" here in Thailand. Where can I buy a copy and is it in English too?  If not in English then your translation skills must be excellent.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

 

Didn't know there was a "highway code" here in Thailand. Where can I buy a copy and is it in English too?  If not in English then your translation skills must be excellent.

 

 

 

Perhaps that is something you should have researched before driving here 😉

 

ROAD TRAFFIC ACT, 

B.E. 2522 (1979).1 

__________  

 

BHUMIBOL ADULYADEJ, REX. Given on the 18th January B.E. 2522 (1979) Being the 34th Year of the Present Reign. 

ThaiDriving2 (2018_03_23 05_25_41 UTC).pdf

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

 

 

Perhaps that is something you should have researched before driving here 😉

 

ROAD TRAFFIC ACT, 

B.E. 2522 (1979).1 

__________  

 

BHUMIBOL ADULYADEJ, REX. Given on the 18th January B.E. 2522 (1979) Being the 34th Year of the Present Reign. 

ThaiDriving2 (2018_03_23 05_25_41 UTC).pdf 1.5 MB · 0 downloads

 

 

Thanks. At quick glance it seems rather amusing compared to real life driving/riding experience here in Thailand. Should make for good nightime reading zzz...

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...