notary service

golf1here

Hello,

I need a grant deed notarized for a property in California. The title company has told me to get it notarized at the US consulate. However, they are not taking appointments right now. Does anyone know a notary in Pattaya, Rayong or Bangkok that would be recognized in California USA?

17 minutes ago, golf1here said:

Hello,

I need a grant deed notarized for a property in California. The title company has told me to get it notarized at the US consulate. However, they are not taking appointments right now. Does anyone know a notary in Pattaya, Rayong or Bangkok that would be recognized in California USA?

None.

You either need to wait for the US embassy.to restore regular notary service or make a case that your need for this service is a legitimate emergency.

Another option worth exploring is whether online notarization is legal and accepted in California.

Some months ago I had a similar need and could not do it online because of the state laws for my contract but luckily the service was then available at the embassy.

Edited by Jingthing

This on their website now.

"U.S. Embassy Bangkok’s Consular Section has reduced availability for routine services until further notice. Appointments can be made through the U.S. embassy website. If you have a time-sensitive emergency need for a passport, report of birth abroad, or notary service please email [email protected] with your name and an explanation of your situation. We continue to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens. We apologize for the inconvenience."

Appointment page here. https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/acsappointment/

Edit: Just checked and the only appointment dates available are in March.

Sure I would definitely try to make the case that its important to you to do this soon assuming it is. Definitions of emergency can be subjective. Worse case they say no.

If not as I said before why not research the possibility of using an online notary?

This link is a bit dated but it provides some clues.

https://www.nationalnotary.org/notary-bulletin/blog/2020/03/ca-sos-notaries-work-special-order

It indicates that it is illegal for a California notary to provide online service. 

However there are other states where it is legal.

It suggests trying to use an online notary from such a state for use in California.

If you try that you should confirm these things.

Will such an online notarization be accepted by your recording office?

Do you need to physically be in California during the online session?

Do you need to be a legal California resident?

Edited by Jingthing

15 hours ago, golf1here said:

Hello,

@golf1here Make an appointment at the Embassy here in Bangkok.  I just had 4 documents notarized at the embassy on Thursday.  The appointments are about a month out, but if you check the system daily you may find someone canceled an appointment and there is now a sooner opening.  $50.00 USD for each notary needed, payable by cash, or a credit card.

Make an Appointment | U.S. Embassy & Consulate in Thailand

15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

This on their website now.

"U.S. Embassy Bangkok’s Consular Section has reduced availability for routine services until further notice. Appointments can be made through the U.S. embassy website. If you have a time-sensitive emergency need for a passport, report of birth abroad, or notary service please email [email protected] with your name and an explanation of your situation. We continue to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens. We apologize for the inconvenience."

Appointment page here. https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/acsappointment/

Edit: Just checked and the only appointment dates available are in March.

I just released a date for February 5th I now do not need

23 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

@golf1here Make an appointment at the Embassy here in Bangkok.  I just had 4 documents notarized at the embassy on Thursday.  The appointments are about a month out, but if you check the system daily you may find someone canceled an appointment and there is now a sooner opening.  $50.00 USD for each notary needed, payable by cash, or a credit card.

Make an Appointment | U.S. Embassy & Consulate in Thailand

Thank you!

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Sure I would definitely try to make the case that its important to you to do this soon assuming it is. Definitions of emergency can be subjective. Worse case they say no.

If not as I said before why not research the possibility of using an online notary?

This link is a bit dated but it provides some clues.

https://www.nationalnotary.org/notary-bulletin/blog/2020/03/ca-sos-notaries-work-special-order

It indicates that it is illegal for a California notary to provide online service. 

However there are other states where it is legal.

It suggests trying to use an online notary from such a state for use in California.

If you try that you should confirm these things.

Will such an online notarization be accepted by your recording office?

Do you need to physically be in California during the online session?

Do you need to be a legal California resident?

Thank you! Do you know how to apply for emergency services?

6 minutes ago, golf1here said:

Thank you! Do you know how to apply for emergency services?

Email them at [email protected]

Wait a few more minutes and see if the just released date on February 5th repopulates.  I just released it no more than 20 minutes ago.  It might take the system a few to see the opening

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes but not offered and not accepted in all states.

Exactly, not accepted for anything in California.  That is why I had to get an appointment at the embassy to have my 4 documents notarized before I mailed them back via DHL.  The cost for a 7 day DHL turnaround from the day of Notary, making copies, scanning them and then going to DHL for shipping with a guarantee 7 day arrival in California was 1,370 Baht or $45.70, add in the $50.00 USD notary fee, and the copy and scanning to my thumb drive at the copy place ran another $12 USD, so the total cost for each document to get to where it was needed and accepted ran me $98.70, so just a little under $400.00.  I wish the banks and the court in California would have accepted a scanned copy of the Notary and the forms that had to be signed in front of him, but alas, a no go.  Wet signature and raised seal required for a Trust, Probate, and Executorship for the two now frozen bank accounts that I am now tasked with overseeing and ensuring the estate to be taken care of by me is done correctly since my father passed on.  I feel for those that have a refinance of a house where there are multiple notary signature required.  A gentle man in front of me paid $600 USD.  In California the same notary is $25.00

14 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

not accepted for anything in California

In 2019 e-notarys became legal in California. So remind me why are we going to all the trouble and hassle of a trip to the US embassy during covid instead of getting it done for cheap from the convenience of your own chair?

Edited by canopy

34 minutes ago, canopy said:

In 2019 a bill was passed making e-notarys legal in California. So remind me why are we going to all the trouble and hassle of a trip to the US embassy during covid instead of getting it done for cheap from the convenience of your own chair?

What states allow remote and/or online notarization? (thejcr.com)

California — Effective March 27, 2020, the following statute is suspended: Code of Civil Procedure section 2025.310, subdivision (b), to the extent that subdivision limits a court’s authority to provide that a party deponent may appear at a deposition by telephone.  On-line is only allowed for Court Cases where the defendants rights need to be adhered to due to current Covid.  however at this point in time their are 

No e-notaries allowed in California.

California Secretary of State, Alex Padilla, issued a statement regarding online notary service with regard to California law. He made it very clear that the use of webcam services to perform online notarizations is an invalid and illegal activity. California law requires a person-to-person encounter for notary public service. A webcam does not meet the requirement of California law that requires a personal, physical appearance before a notary public.

California Notaries Public Cannot Perform Notarial Services Online: Online webcam notarizations are invalid and illegal activities for California notaries public.

California notaries public should beware of misleading information from private companies claiming to have legal online notarization websites and legal online notarization services. Web-based platforms that purport to allow a person to submit copies of identification over the Internet and to use a webcam in lieu of a personal appearance in front of a notary public (e.g., appearance via webcam) do not meet the requirements for notarization by California notaries public.

California notaries public are authorized under current law to perform electronic notarizations as long as all the requirements for a traditional paper-based notarial act are met, including the use of a seal for all but two specific documents used in real estate transactions. California law requires a person to appear personally before a notary public to obtain notarial acts like acknowledgments or jurats. This means the party must be physically present before the notary public. A video image or other form of non-physical representation is not a personal appearance in front of a notary public under California state law. Technology solutions from private companies offering online notarial services do not meet the requirements for notarization by California notaries public.

Technically speaking, California notaries public are authorized to perform electronic notarizations. The stickler is that the same requirements for an in-person service must be met for a digital service. What exactly are those requirements?

1. Personal appearance before a California notary public.
  2. Proper identification.
  3. Use of a notary public seal.

It is easy to see how online services could be created to meet the conditions of #2 and #3. However, according to California state law, a live webcam image is not a substitute for the personal appearance requirement of #1.

Secretary of State Padilla opens his public service announcement with the words:

"California notaries public should beware of misleading information..."

What he is specifically referring to are the numerous private companies with websites inviting notaries to register and begin offering their services. For California notaries who participate, this is a certain path to losing your commission.

I am dealing with estate and trust issues with multiple banks and courts.  Not Allowed, and with Covid, I would think they would revisit the issue.  However, until it is rectified California is only allowing a signatory to an actual notarization be done in person for the document in order to verify the identity, or accepted by an Apostille from a country following the Hague convention, of which Thailand is not a member.

States Take Emergency Action On Remote Notarization And Signers’ ID | NNA (nationalnotary.org)

Online Notary (Remote) | State-by-State Guides | eClosing | www.stewart.com

The following is from my Title Company and prior ro moving here completely in November of 2019, I needed to appoint my sister with a notarized power of attorney to sign the closing documents on my house I was selling.  They would not accet and e-notary, or docusign document.  It would have taken well over a month of mailing the documents to me, getting them notarized here, and mailing them back for a Cash sale of my house which closed in 15 days, and so it was done the way I explained above.

One more time and the most current in regards to the subject for California

UPDATE: Remote online notarizations (RON) are currently not permitted in California. As of May 4, 2020, the California Secretary of State's website has posted the following response to questions about RON in California: "California Law does not provide the authority for California notaries public to perform a remote online notarization.
Edited by ThailandRyan

Interesting, that's pretty in depth and shows there are situations and times you can't use an e-notary. It also shows the situation is in flux meaning whatever the state is today may be different tomorrow. Currently the notarycam home page shows it is accepted in all 50 states, 145 countries, and has a 99.8% customer satisfaction rate. As a satisfied customer from California that has used them on multiple occasions (not necessarily the things you need them for), I would for sure go to them first and see if they can do the job. They have a 60 day money back guarantee so there is nothing to lose. Only if they couldn't do it as a last resort would I go for the legacy method getting robbed by the high prices at the embassy and dealing with that whole trip and time sink.

4 minutes ago, canopy said:

Interesting, that's pretty in depth and shows there are situations and times you can't use an e-notary. It also shows the situation is in flux meaning whatever the state is today may be different tomorrow. Currently the notarycam home page shows it is accepted in all 50 states, 145 countries, and has a 99.8% customer satisfaction rate. As a satisfied customer from California that has used them on multiple occasions (not necessarily the things you need them for), I would for sure go to them first and see if they can do the job. They have a 60 day money back guarantee so there is nothing to lose. Only if they couldn't do it as a last resort would I go for the legacy method getting robbed by the high prices at the embassy and dealing with that whole trip and time sink.

I checked with the courts, and the banks I am dealing with and was not only told No, it is not accepted, but do not as they are not certified for use as of now, and the items needing notarization are of a secure nature with many account numbers an SS#'s listed which could be obtained and misused by unscrupulous individuals.  Many Cams on computers are very hackable.

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

could be obtained and misused by unscrupulous individuals.  Many Cams on computers are very hackable.

Of course. So I guess you would never use banking apps or web sites to access any of your finances. These can all get hacked you know. Notarycam has sensible, end to end encryption on everything including the web cam just like other sensitive services we trust to protect our information every day.

59 minutes ago, canopy said:

Of course. So I guess you would never use banking apps or web sites to access any of your finances. These can all get hacked you know. Notarycam has sensible, end to end encryption on everything including the web cam just like other sensitive services we trust to protect our information every day.

Putting words into my mouth I see.  This was the information given to me by just one of the Banks I am dealing with.  They have such a tight fisted control on their accounts, that if you run a VPN you can not access the account, and even then they also ensure you have a verification code or token sent everytime you try and log in.

1 hour ago, canopy said:

the web cam just like other sensitive services we trust to protect our information every day.

Yet people hack the webcams on computers people run daily.....tell me more.  It is why my cam is covered up even though it is off as malware can get into your system and activate the camera as well.  

48 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

It is why my cam is covered up even though it is off as malware can get into your system and activate the camera as well.  

Using an online notary does not expose you to malware. If you already have malware on your system EVERYTHING you do on it is a security breach--every login, every bit of data on the hard drive, everything you type. The objections you note are like listening to someone say don't do notary services in person at the embassy because you could get in a car accident and die. It's singling out one of the thousand of things with superfluous advice that applies equally to all the others.

• Sad 1

I have used a Thai Notary Attorney on 2 occasions. It was accepted by the IRS, when I applied for a TIN for my wife and just last week for a duplicate title (in bank box) from the DMV to sell a car. On both occasions, after explaining my living overseas, it was accepted. Cost was 1,000 baht each. 

1 minute ago, tweedledee2 said:

I have used a Thai Notary Attorney on 2 occasions. It was accepted by the IRS, when I applied for a TIN for my wife and just last week for a duplicate title (in bank box) from the DMV to sell a car. On both occasions, after explaining my living overseas, it was accepted. Cost was 1,000 baht each. 

What State are you dealing with