The Future for Travellers?

KhaoYai

Several travel companies and airlines have stated that they plan to introduce a requirement that customers must have been vaccinated against Covid 19. Personally, I think this will become widespread and make travel difficult for those who refuse to be vaccinated.  Its possible that this could also be introduced in other spheres.

The latest:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55738918

I said a while back that some employers would go down this path - its already started.

Linked in the above BBC article:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55654229

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

You fell head first into the numbers trap with reliance on figures posted by the Thai government safer asking is it black or white to the colour blind ????

ahhh, but you have fallen into the trap of not believing the Thai authorities

Do you have any facts to show they are wrong ? 

I'm not saying you are wrong, cos who the hell can believe anything the goverment says, but without any other facts to dispute their claims, we can only accept them at face value.

And as far as paperwork for travelling, Khaosan road is your friend 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, VBF said:

But this thread is about travellers, not people currently in Thailand.

I'm in UK, longing to go to Thailand again - i have one problem with the vaccine - I can't get it today and need to wait my turn!

The more a country vaccinates its people, and the more evidence (hopefully) emerges to show vaccinations assist in at least  reducing transmission, the sooner countries will start to relax their restrictions.

Personally, i would love a Covid vaccine stamp to be added to all my other vaccines in my yellow book, alongside Yellow Fever, Polio, Smallpox, Tetanus etc etc

If that helped me to travel, what's not to like?

Thats where I think this is going. My wife had her first shot this week, 2nd shot in 3 weeks. Mine is scheduled for April.

I think that covid passport is inevitable

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VBF said:

The more a country vaccinates its people, and the more evidence (hopefully) emerges to show vaccinations assist in at least  reducing transmission, the sooner countries will start to relax their restrictions.

Even though the jury is still out on the vaccine/transmission - the point will come where the more that get vaccinated, the less the virus is likley to be around.  Hopefully, as more and more travel companies and airlines begin requiring passengers to have been vaccinated, that will persuade some of those that are unsure to get it done.

My worry is that third world countries don't seem to be getting their share of the vaccine and that's just not right.  Apart from the moral issues, as the WHO say - 'nobody's safe until everybody's safe.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

12 minutes ago, Patong2021 said:

Some countries are opposed to 'Vaccine' passport - No support in USA and  Canada  PM Trudeau already say he opposes because it is discriminatory.

I'm kind of on the fence about it. I don't think it will be necessary because it sounds like they are not going to let anyone into the country until herd immunity kicks in locally.  So vaccine passports probably won't be of much use.

Edited by shdmn

Going to be 100% certainty after mass vaccination kicks in and the demand for international travel rises. We'll need proof of vax to enter airports, board planes, and enter other countries. People will also need to provide proof of vax when applying for many jobs. Could also see it a requirement for entering sports stadiums, concerts/theaters, large pubs/clubs. And it's going to be a requirement for foreigners to enter Thailand and renew visas to remain in Thailand...no doubt about that one.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 3

19 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I don't think that governments have really thought things through, as regards vaccinations and travellers.

Right now, millions of people are receiving a Covid-19 vaccine, which IMHO, is a great idea.

But where's the proof of that vaccination?  Where is the internationally-recognised Covid passport?  As far as I know, many people are receiving the vaccination and given no proof whatsoever that they have received this, apart from an entry in their hospital records.  Others are given a scrap of paper in whatever format the hospital sees fit.

The lack of global standardisation in proof of vaccination is going to create huge issues for travellers => how to proof you've received a vaccination, how to reassure others that your scrap of paper is not fake etc etc.

It's not going to be a scrap of paper. At the present time mass vaccination hasn't started, so far it's only been some aged people and health care workers in a handful of countries, and so far no demand for proof of vax from these people. But when mass vax programs kick in and the demand for proof increases there are hospital/doctor's records of who has been vaccinated. This information can be added of E-passorts, people can be issued  with photo ID cards, info can be stored online just like visas are. My TGF gets approved for a visitor visa for Australia and it's all online. All her personal info, visa details & conditions, all there online for airport officials to scrutinize.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, jobsworth said:

This vaccination is unlike any other.

It is not just the dead virus so as to produce antibodies.

It modifies your DNA and is the first of a whole new line of treatments.

We don't know what much of our DNA does.

Some of the jabs are like this, others do it the old fashioned way, dead viruses.  The Chinese jab is one that does this.

There are some 300 jabs on the horizon, and the ones already out will be modified to be a single jab, and be able to be stored at "normal" temps.  The J&J is one and should be out in a few months.

Things are going to be changing a lot in the future.  Hopefully for the better!

Australia has already said they won't open international travel this year, and Qantas has said a vaccine will be required if you want to fly with them.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/overseas-travel-for-australians-is-unlikely-this-year-even-with-coronavirus-vaccinations

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-55048438

15 minutes ago, millymoopoo said:

QANTAS, when resuming international flights, plans to only accept passengers who have a vaccination certificate, or as they put it a 'vaccination passport'.

Australians have a vaccination register (Australian Immunisation Register) part of Medicare, this shows all vaccinations, not just covid19, e-copies of this may be part of the 'passport', or the register may be linked (uploaded) to the chip inside passports.

The Australian government (Immigration & border security) will most probably require proof of vaccination from incoming passengers once the border is open. No vaccination, no entry.

Do not be surprised if most other countries will follow suit.

It will never return to pre corona virus normal.

Did the world return to pre 9/11 normal after 9/11.?

Well put.  Travel was totally different after 9/11.

• Like 1